Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vmax said:
Why do you say OCC builds junk?
The folks I've known who have bought them haven't been impressed with the finished product. The engines are great as folks like Screaming Eagle supply them -- it's just the little things like a blip in the paint or subassemblies that aren't dialed in correctly that get people fired up. The custom wheels I saw on one had so much bit chatter that Helen Keller could have kept busy deciphering the bumps for a week.

People assume that because they're shelling out 30, 40, 50 grand or more (a lot more) for a bike -- that the quality standards should be equal to that of a run of the mill crotch rocket. Unfortunately, that's no guarantee. Sort of like dropping big dough on a Maserati in the 80's. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it ain't gonna blow up on the way home.

Doesn't matter, really, as most of the guys who buy those things, including the folks I've met who have them, are paper tigers who end up leaving them in the garage, anyway. As for this Confederate bike, who knows what the quality is. All I know is that it looks pretty cool. Then again, you might be better off getting a Buell.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I have never ridden a motorcycle, nor do I desire to ride one. So my ignorance on the actual performance on them will most probably show.....

I know they are a lot of fun but I have to ask.....

How does one ride that type of bike, or most suicide bikes for that matter? You have to lay 3/4 the down on it. You have to keep yourself propped up with your arms. To me wouldn't this get fatiguing holding your upper body up with your arms while riding?

I have seen umpteen thousands of suicide bikes on the road., and I have to say....99.9% of those I see riding them are RECKLESS and are serious, serious risk takers. I cannot recall ever seeing someone on one of them taking a leisurely ride. I'm gonna say 9 out of 10 I see, dart in and out of traffic, lane jump, (many times within inches of a car)...then pass illegally on the right hand side of the road , pass between cars.... goose the throttle and release while creeping at a red light. Popping wheelie's... etc... I am not picking on the riders... Ok well maybe I am.... Does this type of cycle bring the beast out of the rider? For every 1 rider I see remotely "behaving" on that type of bike, I see 9 that I expect to see wrapped around a phone pole.

I guess the reason I never had the desire to ride one is because I flat out wouldn't trust a lot of idiots in cars, forcing the cycle driver off the road. With my luck I'd end up dead on a cycle.... But these guys on the suicide bikes, it's almost like they are inviting it.... A guy I worked with wrapped himself around a pole on one.... Young kid... lost his life. His luck ran out on one of those.

Is it the power between the legs, or do those drivers flat out check their brains at the door when they get on one? If you think I'm exaggerating the countless reckless idiots on them performing Evil Kneivel stunts.... just watch em'. Makes me half glad I don't ride cycles.

·
Registered
937 Posts
RiceEater said:
:eek:

But are you experienced enough to ride that sucker? That's definately one hard bike to handle
I couldnt tell you, I have never had a chance to ride one. I am experienced enough to ride, but possibly not smart enough ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well my girlfriend's brother is a Knee Skidder (Pro-Am Speedbike Racer), so I've learned a LOT (including how to ride them) about bikes from him.

Bikes like the Ducati should only be used by the utmost professionals of the sport, and even then they are beasts under those riders control. There is absolutely so much power and speed in that Ducati that you must be in total focus and control of that bike at all times, and you should never push yourself past what you're comfortable with being able to do on it. With that sucker you sure as hell better be laying down the whole time while accelerating on the bike otherwise it's going to fly right up from between your legs... you really would be suprised.

Yes on Speedbikes you usually have to always hold yourself up with your arms, but it isnt really that hard as long as you have at least somewhat-good arm muscle. Plus after riding a few times your muscle will build up some nicely.

As for the people who drive that agressively on their bikes... well they're ****ing idiots. My gf's bro has been riding since he was 17, and he's 26 now... so he has a good bit of experience riding and racing these bikes. He always just shakes his head in disappointment anytime he see's someone riding a bike like that in traffic. He's had many friends that have had horrible wrecks on the road while riding their bikes, and they weren't even doing anything crazy or idiotic. He in fact doesn't even ride his bike on the road anymore other than while at the race trac because he is just way too nervous of stupid other drivers that just dont notice or are distracted by him, and in doing so may have a chance of slamming right into him.

Bike riding seriously isn't as safe as it used to be with todays traffic - mostly in heavily populated areas - and should seriously be left to people with a lot of experience. I'm not saying to sell your Harley now or anything... just be careful whenever you do ride it. And for those who may be looking to get a speedbike and learning to ride... dont start with a 600 superbike like the Ducati. Get something like a 125 or 150 bike first to start out with ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
GTO judge said:
I have never ridden a motorcycle, nor do I desire to ride one. So my ignorance on the actual performance on them will most probably show.....

I know they are a lot of fun but I have to ask.....

How does one ride that type of bike, or most suicide bikes for that matter? You have to lay 3/4 the down on it. You have to keep yourself propped up with your arms. To me wouldn't this get fatiguing holding your upper body up with your arms while riding?

I have seen umpteen thousands of suicide bikes on the road., and I have to say....99.9% of those I see riding them are RECKLESS and are serious, serious risk takers. I cannot recall ever seeing someone on one of them taking a leisurely ride. I'm gonna say 9 out of 10 I see, dart in and out of traffic, lane jump, (many times within inches of a car)...then pass illegally on the right hand side of the road , pass between cars.... goose the throttle and release while creeping at a red light. Popping wheelie's... etc... I am not picking on the riders... Ok well maybe I am.... Does this type of cycle bring the beast out of the rider? For every 1 rider I see remotely "behaving" on that type of bike, I see 9 that I expect to see wrapped around a phone pole.

I guess the reason I never had the desire to ride one is because I flat out wouldn't trust a lot of idiots in cars, forcing the cycle driver off the road. With my luck I'd end up dead on a cycle.... But these guys on the suicide bikes, it's almost like they are inviting it.... A guy I worked with wrapped himself around a pole on one.... Young kid... lost his life. His luck ran out on one of those.

Is it the power between the legs, or do those drivers flat out check their brains at the door when they get on one? If you think I'm exaggerating the countless reckless idiots on them performing Evil Kneivel stunts.... just watch em'. Makes me half glad I don't ride cycles.
Well, first question - answer is they are comfortable. Your not really supporting your body weight with your arms and they fit like a glove. I only "laid down" when I was really movin', but cruisin with my friends I was upright, sometimes only the throttle hand was on the bar.

Second statement is pretty much true. Though your kind of describing the way I drive my GTO. :rolleyes: I did some pretty stupid things on mine. Even at 17 I went to bed at night thinking to myself "That was really stupid". Got some tickets. Never laid it down and never got hurt, thank Kobol. (heh) I think its just the simple fact that the guys on those bikes are young. Very young, some still in high school or just out of. Add immaturity and a bike that makes you think it can do anything and thats what you end up with. If I ever get another bike like that, it would be a different story, but 14 years ago....that was me. And now I am trying to pop wheelies in my GTO so I guess I am still pretty immature. ;)

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
deftec said:
Still doesn't change the fact that it's ugly ;)
That's OK. A $62K motorcycle isn't exactly targeted for Applebee's eating, Coors Light swilling residents of two-dimensional states. Maybe an OCC special with a red flashing light and siren is more your speed.

·
Registered
937 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
That's OK. A $62K motorcycle isn't exactly targeted for Applebee's eating, Coors Light swilling residents of two-dimensional states. Maybe an OCC special with a red flashing light and siren is more your speed.
I could take offense to that, but since I dont drink Coors light its OK.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts