Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've painted some items with chrome/brilliant silver paint. Not the greatest for dash trim-if you clear coat it, the bright shine is reduced. If you just leave it, don't expect it to retain it's brilliance for too long. The first time you try to clean it, even with a soft dry rag, no more shine. It may look o.k. if you're on a tight budget, but nothing like the original chrome appearance. You can send the dash out and have it re-chromed for a couple hundred. Or do the dash yourself. It can get tricky, though. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
There was a guy on E-bay making laser cut rings that stick on, do not know if he's still selling or whether he was doing them for the 64'.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I agree. I've used it, and it looks like aluminum, not chrome. Check out the guy with the Mylar rings that stick on. I think he3 even has the side pieces for the dash surround, too. But only certain years. That, or spend the $350 for a re-chromed dash. I remember when these cars were 10 years old or so, and the dash chrome and armrest chrome cold be pretty worn. Some cars today, now 45 years old, still have nice original 'chrome' on the plastic. I guess it's the environment. I put re-chromed arm rest bases on my '65 in 1983, and they still look like new, ditto the ones on my '67 that I installed ten years later. Both cars sport chrome painted gauge surrounds, though. Sigh......

·
Registered
727 Posts
Like the others, I've tried various chrome paints and have never been satisfied with the results.

I'm taking my dash to Orna-metal in Romulus, Michigan.
Their primary business is metalized floral pots and vases, but they also do a lot of custom automotive work.
Great reviews on several forums.
Costs about $350 to get all 3 pieces for my 68 done, including painting the special "blue/gray" instrument pods and the grained area.

Welcome to Vacuum Orna-Metal | Vacuum Orna-Metal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts