Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to strip the chrome?

Is there any liquid that can do this? or do I have to sand it until the chrome is gone?

·
Registered
590 Posts
check with a local industrial chrome company. a friend works at one here in houston. industrial chrome is like that on hydraulic cylinders, but chrome is chrome. you might check a bumper shop if they're still around.

they can dip whatever you got in one of their solutions.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
suspect said:
does anyone know how to strip the chrome?

Is there any liquid that can do this? or do I have to sand it until the chrome is gone?
Sodium hydroxide at 8-12 oz/gal (w/v) works well for electrostripping chromium from carbon steel substrates. The bath can be operated at ambient temperature or higher, at a current density of 0.25 - 1.0 amp/sq.in. The fumes evolved are toxic and must be evacuated and scrubbed. The bath starts out as a simple solution of caustic soda but acquires an increasing component of a hexavalent chromium compound as the metallic chromium is electrostripped from the workpieces. The spent solution is hazardous waste and must be properly disposed.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
05GTO said:
Sodium hydroxide at 8-12 oz/gal (w/v) works well for electrostripping chromium from carbon steel substrates. The bath can be operated at ambient temperature or higher, at a current density of 0.25 - 1.0 amp/sq.in. The fumes evolved are toxic and must be evacuated and scrubbed. The bath starts out as a simple solution of caustic soda but acquires an increasing component of a hexavalent chromium compound as the metallic chromium is electrostripped from the workpieces. The spent solution is hazardous waste and must be properly disposed.
That has got to be the most well thought out and best typed answer I've read so far, and so full of information. :cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts