Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so a co-worker had car troubles and I picked him up at his dealer and was driving into work. We're talking about our new boss, so I was not paying much attention to the cars around me (that is, I was watching the "traffic", but not specific cars). I take off from a light, with just regular GTO acceleration. Normally this is enough to leave the run-of-the-mill cars far behind... but the guy next to me is just a little behind. Unconsciencely, I give more gas... he gives more gas... Now its WTF? and I punch it. He's left in the dust.

As we get to the next light, there are cars in front of us, and his side has a shorter line so I get to see that it was one of those new Magnums (crossfire?) - that sort of fast back station wagon looking "thing"

I thought those were supposed to have the "new hemi" and at least reasonably fast - or are these cars avaialbe with other, more weenie engines???

If that was the hemi I am seriously unimpressed. The car didn't even keep up with a just partial throttle take off from the GTO.

Qualify as a kill?

---Larry

·
Registered
77 Posts
The base engine is a V6 with the Hemi option. Even at that, that Magnum is heavier than the GTO with 25 or 30 less HP. I like the commercial...starting at $25K. Loaded, they are around $35K. $10K in options is a ton.

But, Chrysler is bringing a new Hemi to the table next year with even more HP.

May make the fight a little more fair at least.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next time I throw him back I'll be sure and tell him to get his big brother then. ;)

---Larry

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't know... I've been in a little friendly "competition" with a magnum twice now. The same one! On my way home from work one morning, I was stopped at a light, waiting to turn left onto a freeway entrance ramp. It's a tight circle ramp that leads into a very long straightaway before merging into highway traffic. There are two lanes until the very end. When the light turn green I went on my way, not really paying attention until I noticed the car behind was literally right on my butt. It kinda irritated me (that's putting it nicely) so I tromped on it. Lo and behold, he stayed right with me. We were doing 115mph by the time we reached the merging point. He backed off first, but I slowed down and let him go by just to see what it was. A Dodge Magnum. He wouldn't have been able to pass me, but I didn't walk off and leave him either. Two weeks later, the same happened, only this time I was behind him at the same light. I rode his rear end until he realized what was going on and HE tromped on it. He, however, didn't push it as hard as I had the first time, and not wanting to take the chance of running out of room, I didn't pass him on the right. I could have however. At 75mph, I was only turning about 2000rpm. Lots of room to go! heehee So I don't know if it was just that he didn't feel like playing or what. At any rate, the Magnum is a butt-ugly car, fast or not. Looks like a station wagon on steroids.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vader953 said:
oh, and by the way, I say you get the kill!
Thanks, but to me: DENIED! I mean it got stomped, but a V-6? Next thing you know 4-cylinder Honda's will think they're eligible. ;)

What I should ask tho, is how do I tell if its the weenie v-6 or the hemi?

Amoung the things I like about the GTO is they are ALL fast. Some model years may be faster than others, but at a stop light the competition should realize its going to have something stomp it.

Mustang's, Camero's, Firebirds, etc all come as "secretary" cars, look fast, but just one squirrel under the hood... and not even a macho-squirrel.

Now there wasn't a lot of "badges" on this Magnum. I had to crane my neck to see that (and it WAS PAINFUL looking at the car so long - as Groucho points out the cars ARE butt ugly)

---Larry

·
Registered
107 Posts
Apples and oranges. I don't even consider the Magnum and GTO in the same category of cars, so it's a wasted "race" if you ask me. The Crossfire is more comparable to a GTO, and I'm sure it would give any stock goat a run for its money.

·
Registered
386 Posts
SDMF Jon said:
Apples and oranges. I don't even consider the Magnum and GTO in the same category of cars, so it's a wasted "race" if you ask me. The Crossfire is more comparable to a GTO, and I'm sure it would give any stock goat a run for its money.
Actually, the Magnum is much faster than the Crossfire (unless it's an SRT-6, which 99 times out of 100 it's not).

Magnum
Top speed : 130 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 5.8 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.6 sec @ 97.5 mph
60-0 braking distance : 125 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.80 g

Crossfire
Top speed : 150 mph
0-60 mph : 6.8 sec.(manual)
0-¼ mile : 15.1 sec @ 93.7 mph(manual)
60-0 braking distance : 117 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.91 g

Crossfire SRT-6
Top speed : 154 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 5.1 sec.
0-¼ mile : 13.5 sec @ 107.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 120 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.91 g

LarryM said:
Thanks, but to me: DENIED! I mean it got stomped, but a V-6? Next thing you know 4-cylinder Honda's will think they're eligible. ;)

What I should ask tho, is how do I tell if its the weenie v-6 or the hemi?

Amoung the things I like about the GTO is they are ALL fast. Some model years may be faster than others, but at a stop light the competition should realize its going to have something stomp it.

Mustang's, Camero's, Firebirds, etc all come as "secretary" cars, look fast, but just one squirrel under the hood... and not even a macho-squirrel.

Now there wasn't a lot of "badges" on this Magnum. I had to crane my neck to see that (and it WAS PAINFUL looking at the car so long - as Groucho points out the cars ARE butt ugly)

---Larry
Actually, I disagree, as an alternative to an ugly oversized SUV, I think the Magnum is a fantastic choice.

Also, to answer your question about how to the tell the difference, just look for RT badges and 18 inch wheels. Then you know that things got a Hemi.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, I was referring to the SRT-6. And I agree with you, I like the styling of the Magnum. Being a previous Buick Roadmaster Wagon (LT1, of course) owner, I love the idea of a sports wagon. If the Magnum had the 3rd row of seats like the old B-body wagons did, I'd be all over it like flies on poop.

·
Registered
165 Posts
SDMF Jon said:
I had the opportunity to play with a Crossfire and wasn't impressed. Either the guy didn't feel like playing or he knew better. Either way, at the light we both got on it and either he layed off waaay early or it just wasn't there.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I don't think the "concept" of a hot rod station wagon is all so bad, I do think that the Chrysler instance of that conception is... well, just ugly. There's just something about the new style Chrysler grill/front end that just looks like a horses rear end to me (figuratively, not literally).

I'm willing to conceed that any car will have its fans, and if the guy driving it likes the style, then more power to him. You'll just never see me in one!

---Larry

ps. this one did not have RT badges, very plain except for "Magnum" on the very back right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Every magazine performace test says otherwise. They are very close 0-60 and quarter mile, so your defenition of poop stomp must be very, very liberal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
SDMF Jon said:
Every magazine performace test says otherwise. They are very close 0-60 and quarter mile, so your defenition of poop stomp must be very, very liberal.
well yeah, everyone puts down other cars because it's not a GTO, in all actuallity the goat's fast, but not that fast. Many o' cars would hand it to us hands down. they forget that the crossfire is a straight mercedes with chrysler badging. dealer ships aren't ever allowed to sell them unless they have a mercedes trained tech on staff

1 - 20 of 24 Posts