Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, nice to be back into the hobby after a long absence. I am really looking forward to spending some time on the forum.
This is my GTO that I purchased right after regrettably selling my 1971 GTO in 1983. As with any automobile that you own for 37 years, we have a long history together. It had correct 68 GTO bucket seats, no console, a blue Earl Sheib paint job and matching shaggy bathroom carpet and 72,000 miles on the odometer. Weird thing was the bucket seats did not fit well and someone had drilled extra holes to make them fit. After seeing a bench seat GTO in a junk yard, I learned that this car originally came with one so I bought it and it fit perfect. (no google in 1980s) I had no idea what I had being a number matching car with original carb, alternator, water pump even the T3s but I had planned on pulling the engine and started giving it a matador paint job. Life happened and it sat until 1995 when I luckily decided to keep it original and did a frame off restoration on it. I did everything myself with help from a buddy on the paint and body work. It was a trailer queen and as popular locally and on the road being featured in a couple of magazines and still is in the Year One Catalog. Life happened again and it has sat in my garage for the last 12 years and has not moved. Now that I have free time it is a priority for me to get it on the road so I can actually enjoy it. This week was nice so I pushed it out and gave it a good bath all around. I was very surprised the top is still perfect as well as the bodywork is very solid. This is what I am researching the forums on and any advice is appreciated. This car is part of the family and I have no plans on doing anything that can not be undone to keep it original. (I know that I switched out the shift knob.)

I am pulling the fuel tank and replacing all fuel hoses to prevent a catastrophe.

Oil Change with Lucas Collector Car 10w -40 and pull the distributer to reprime before starting. Pull the plugs and but some marvel oil in the cylinders also. Currently has correct NOS AC plugs that I bought in 1983. What brand heat range should I replace them with?

Tires are Coker bias ply. Although they probably have less than 300 miles on them they are over 23 years old I will replace them. I am thinking about some white letter BFGs or something that drives better than the bias ply. What size can I get away with on the rally IIs ? I Might even look at some Cragars with larger tires in the back.

Has a Gardner reproduction exhaust with the different size mufflers but is slightly rusty just from sitting and I have never been a fan of the sound so I am researching different mufflers too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Beautiful car. I also own and am in the middle od a frame off restoration of a 68 that's been in the family since new.

As you have probably found out the Delco 44s is no longer made but can be found on EBay. The slightly hotter R45s will work as well and is still available new.
Depending on your budget Diamond Back Tires are an excellent choice for 14" rubber. I wouldn't go larger than 225/70 with the 6" rims. To me the white letters don't go well with the older models. 3/8 white or redlines are classic to these cars.
Inline tube sells the correct mufflers but if your looking for something different I suggest Walkers or Dyno Max. Not annoying but flow very well and make theirselves known at higher RPM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I like the idea of the redline radials. I pulled the plugs and they were 44s but looked to be burning a little cold so my plan is upgrading them to 45s anyway.
Beautiful car. I also own and am in the middle od a frame off restoration of a 68 that's been in the family since new.

As you have probably found out the Delco 44s is no longer made but can be found on EBay. The slightly hotter R45s will work as well and is still available new.
Depending on your budget Diamond Back Tires are an excellent choice for 14" rubber. I wouldn't go larger than 225/70 with the 6" rims. To me the white letters don't go well with the older models. 3/8 white or redlines are classic to these cars.
Inline tube sells the correct mufflers but if your looking for something different I suggest Walkers or Dyno Max. Not annoying but flow very well and make theirselves known at higher RPM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts