Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
clock

Took mine apart and cleaned it. Looks to be original, and for a car clock, the sweephand will hit the 12th hour exactly when the music chimes for the hourly news on the radio, even after a few weeks of the vehicle not being started. They knew how to build 'em back then! :cool

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello guys,
is it possible to change / remove the clock without removing the complete dash ? (Le Mans 1968)
regards: Peter

·
Registered
862 Posts
The clock was a Factory and/or Dealer option and can be removed without taking the dash out.
See your 1968 Service Manual for the outline. If your car has AC it's a bit more involved but possible.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi Peter
I recall doing it many years ago without pulling the dash. Helps to have small hands.
Best to have a 1/4" drive ratchet, extensions, and 1/4" socket. Remove the drivers seat for more room.

Reinstalling is more difficult than removal. The factory notched the upper screw holes in later years to make it easier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks,
I'll try this next winter.
First of all, I'll convert my (spare) clock to a quartz clock.
For me in germany, it's always the problem with the high postage.....also for small parts. :cry:
These days, I made a km/h sticker for the speedometer (because we in germany need it).
Tachofolie 3k.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
The clock was a Factory and/or Dealer option and can be removed without taking the dash out.
See your 1968 Service Manual for the outline. If your car has AC it's a bit more involved but possible.
I stand corrected. I read the Service Manual and it appears you can get it out from the back of the bezel without removing the dash. I don't know if I would have enough room to get my big hands up and in there.

Here is a picture of the back of the dash bezel. You can see the dummy filler panel used when no tach or clock is used - its on the left side. This gives you an idea of where and what size the small screws are that will be needed to be removed for the swap/installation.

1968 Dash - backside.JPG

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have small hands, and all the tools.
But first of all, I need the quartz conversion kit and the wiring (two bulb sockets) for the clock.
So, if someone have the wiring for sell, please let me know....;)
thanks, Peter

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I have small hands, and all the tools.
But first of all, I need the quartz conversion kit and the wiring (two bulb sockets) for the clock.
So, if someone have the wiring for sell, please let me know....;)
thanks, Peter
Don't even waste your time looking for a used wiring/bulb set-up. They reproduce these new. I purchased one when I bought my clock from The Parts Place. Parts Listing Directory

·
Registered
102 Posts
O.K., if I don't get a wiring harness till winter time, I'll buy it new.
(sometimes I find parts here in germany, noone knows where they are from. Last month, I get an orig. new Delco voltage regulator for 20 €....)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts