Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Cloning 70 Gto

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  1968gto421 
#1 ·
I found a really nice 71 Lemans. From what I can gather with the small ammount of knowledge I have of these cars. The front bumper, hood and fenders is all that was changed from 70 to 71.

Need the notched 70 fender, hood and the endura front end.

Is this correct? Or should I clone it as a 71 gto, which would be alot easier and cheaper. Maybe get the gto hood and hood tach and spoiler.

#2 ·
It would probably be cheaper to clone a 71-72 GTO. You are correct that only difference is in the front end between the 70 and 71-72s. Being that the 70 was a one year only production, I believe, the front end has more value and would cost you more to clone a 70 GTO. Fenders could run you up to $700, Endura bumper in good cond. about 275 to 500. Hood would be another few hundred. You could easily get into spending about $1000 to $2000 for a conversion depending on condition of parts. If you really love the 70, I'd hold out and buy a 70.

Hope some of this helped.

#3 ·
I put a GTO nose on my 71 back in 82. I think I got the nose off the donor car for $100. I also got the 3.55 Posi rear with sway bar for $75. If you could get a time machine, this would be doable.. I put the GTO hood on my 70 Lemans and it looks really good, but I invested more into paint instead of cloning a goat. You could just body color the bumpers like they used to do and keep it a Lemans. Now, if it was a 69 and you were adding hide away headlights, that would be worth doing.. Only GTO guys know the difference anymore, 99% of people will think it's a Chevelle or Nova anyway. Build what you want..:rofl:

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.