Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by the dealer to see the new 05's up close. I have an 04 myself and wanted to check out the dif. between the two other than the ls2. As I lay on my back to behold this new and "improved dual exhaust" that dumps on both sides like all the (can't think outside the box) gear heads like and ensist on. A great smile lights up across my face, I's that, NO it cant be, YES it is the dual exhaust (both sides) going into ONE, UNO, muffler then comming out w/ 2 outlets and going into two more mufflers (one on each side) right before the exhaust dumps out. As good as it may look coming out on each side in the "traditional hotrod fashion" I'll stick w/ my TRUE DUAL EXHAUST dumping out on the driverside. Thank you Pontiac for keeping it real for 04.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
BILLYGOAT said:
Stopped by the dealer to see the new 05's up close. I have an 04 myself and wanted to check out the dif. between the two other than the ls2. As I lay on my back to behold this new and "improved dual exhaust" that dumps on both sides like all the (can't think outside the box) gear heads like and ensist on. A great smile lights up across my face, I's that, NO it cant be, YES it is the dual exhaust (both sides) going into ONE, UNO, muffler then comming out w/ 2 outlets and going into two more mufflers (one on each side) right before the exhaust dumps out. As good as it may look coming out on each side in the "traditional hotrod fashion" I'll stick w/ my TRUE DUAL EXHAUST dumping out on the driverside. Thank you Pontiac for keeping it real for 04.
Dude, that "One Uno" muffler you were looking at is not a muffler. That's a called a resonator and though there is one metal box, it is baffled (wall down the middle) so that two completely separate exhaust paths are maintained from the manifolds to the chrome tips at the end of the pipes.

The resonator is used almost as an auxillary muffler to help slow exhaust gas flow and quiet it down. Since Pontiac was looking to create a specific sound for this car, I'll bet that resonator is a key component of the LS2 signature voice.

So, Pontiac hasn't lied to the faithful, the 05 has a true dual exhaust, and you are truly uninformed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wing_Nut said:
Dude, that "One Uno" muffler you were looking at is not a muffler. That's a called a resonator and though there is one metal box, it is baffled (wall down the middle) so that two completely separate exhaust paths are maintained from the manifolds to the chrome tips at the end of the pipes.
The Flowmaster muffler on my Firebird is set up this same way. It allows for the muffler to sit in the stock location, but like you said, it's divided so that it maintains the "true dual" exhaust. Of course installing an x-pipe on there really defeats that avenue of thought anyway.

·
Registered
590 Posts
my, .02

The 04's have 2 resonators, 2 cats, 2 mufflers, 2 separate exhaust pipes, a "True Dual"

I don't care for the grey plastic piece in the rear lower valance or bumper, like so many other doms. & imports, or the big @ss chrome outlets like the infiniti and some others, or non functional ram air inlets on the hood. those are the reasons I chose an '04 vs '05

Now, I'm not beatin' up the '05's, they got the 6.0 Litre that will have me spending some hard earned dollars just to get past their stock output and everytime someone asks "is that the 6.0 litre?" i get to reply, "No, just the 5.7" :D :D and ONLY 350 stock hp :eek:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
westell said:
my, .02

The 04's have 2 resonators, 2 cats, 2 mufflers, 2 separate exhaust pipes, a "True Dual"

I don't care for the grey plastic piece in the rear lower valance or bumper, like so many other doms. & imports, or the big @ss chrome outlets like the infiniti and some others, or non functional ram air inlets on the hood. those are the reasons I chose an '04 vs '05

Now, I'm not beatin' up the '05's, they got the 6.0 Litre that will have me spending some hard earned dollars just to get past their stock output and everytime someone asks "is that the 6.0 litre?" i get to reply, "No, just the 5.7" :D :D and ONLY 350 stock hp :eek:
:agree I love all goats but I agree, I like the cleaner look of the rear exhaust and the simple hood....but that's my .02 as well... :cheers

·
Registered
202 Posts
GTODEALER said:
:agree I love all goats but I agree, I like the cleaner look of the rear exhaust and the simple hood....but that's my .02 as well... :cheers
At first I had to have the 05 hood, but now :agree

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Isn't it great to be able to choose what you want? Me personally I never considered buying the GTO when I first saw the '04s. But when the '05s came out, the first thing I thought was, "I wonder how much I can get for my '98 Vette?" Compared to the '04, the LS2 was the first thing about the car that got me excited. Then the looks of the hood and the dual exhaust drew me in. Yeah, a lot of people don't like the hood because it's non-functional but Pontiac didn't intend for it to be. Well the rubber inserts can be removed from the scoops so that cooler air can be supplied to the engine bay so I guess in a sense the hood is somewhat functional. But not functional as far as a noticeable performance increase stand point. Pontiac was more concerned with giving the car a more aggressive appearance and me personally I think they did a good job. The changes to the car wasn't over done with bulky/tacky ground effects, an oversized wing, goofy stickers, etc. But as always it comes down to personal preference.

The 2 different appearances of the GTOs is like having one daughter who is attractive and another one who is very attractive. Regardless of their looks you love them both the same. With that said, I like both Goats :cheers .

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
djdub said:
...or like having 2 Girlfriends, one that's cleaner and one that's faster.
I agree with that but be careful, not all 04's are slow!! (like someone I knows Barbados Blue M6.....hmmmmm could that be me....)

·
Registered
316 Posts
hood scupes

There has been alot of question as to weather or not the hood scupes are functional. The hood IS FUNCTIONAL, it does not flow massive amounts of air, however at 35mph with no head wind I have measured 250 cfm per scupe. Im not an engineere but I do have a solid grasp of aerodynamics and how air pressuers and vaccumes should affect this. At around 55mph the volume of air coming through the hood should double due to external pressure and internal vaccume. Based off of the placement of the scupes on the hood they should still be functional in speeds over 130 however that is only theory because I dont have a wind tunnel to test it. This is part of the reason why on Early GTO's the hood scupes were in the middle of the hood and started being moved toward the front. THEY ARE FUNCTIONAL

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Braman'sGTO said:
There has been alot of question as to weather or not the hood scupes are functional. The hood IS FUNCTIONAL, it does not flow massive amounts of air, however at 35mph with no head wind I have measured 250 cfm per scupe. Im not an engineere but I do have a solid grasp of aerodynamics and how air pressuers and vaccumes should affect this. At around 55mph the volume of air coming through the hood should double due to external pressure and internal vaccume. Based off of the placement of the scupes on the hood they should still be functional in speeds over 130 however that is only theory because I dont have a wind tunnel to test it. This is part of the reason why on Early GTO's the hood scupes were in the middle of the hood and started being moved toward the front. THEY ARE FUNCTIONAL
I agree they are functional to a point, however, they do not "ram" air into the air box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why dont the 04 owners just enjoy what they have instead of trying to justify the it as a better choice than the 05? Would you honestly take the 04 over an 05 if all things were equal?

Sure the extra few grand might make a difference to some. To others the choice wasnt 04 vs 05 but 05 vs another make of car. 350hp while more than most is still within realm of today's cars. 300C hemi puts out 325hp. The change to LS2 and 400hp combined with a more aggressive look prompted me to give pontiac a try. I think this is a case for quite a few owners who would have never considered the GTO at 350hp but at 400hp it was a go. This isnt a slight at the 04 owners. At $25k the 04 GTO is one hell of a bargain.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like them both. My WS6 had the LS1 and it was a great motor. My 05 has the LS2 and it simply blows me away. MY perfect GTO would be the 05 without the hood scoops and wing, with the dual exhaust outlets, and the 04 ass end. I am working on this one. A nice clean, smooth look.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts