Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went to a dealer about 20 miles away last night to check out a Cyclone Gray Metalic that had caught her eye. I had called earlier in the day to make sure that they had one there so all was well. Until we got there, then the salesman went to get the car and was gone for about 10 munutes.

When he came back he didn't have the car but had a really dumb look on his face. He tells me that the car has been loned to another dealer for a person to check out. So my wife and I are standing there looking at the guy and asking why the heck are we here then. He says that he's sorry that we came all the way out there, and he would call us if and when the car returned. Ya right! Like we'll be back.

I wasn't after the Cyclone gray, but my wife was not very happy with him. It was a drive for nothing. Are most salespeople this clueless?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reno'sGoat said:
The wife and I went to a dealer about 20 miles away last night to check out a Cyclone Gray Metalic that had caught her eye. I had called earlier in the day to make sure that they had one there so all was well. Until we got there, then the salesman went to get the car and was gone for about 10 munutes.

When he came back he didn't have the car but had a really dumb look on his face. He tells me that the car has been loned to another dealer for a person to check out. So my wife and I are standing there looking at the guy and asking why the heck are we here then. He says that he's sorry that we came all the way out there, and he would call us if and when the car returned. Ya right! Like we'll be back.

I wasn't after the Cyclone gray, but my wife was not very happy with him. It was a drive for nothing. Are most salespeople this clueless?
First off, hello, I'm new to this forum, but not to the solstice one next door, if you want to check out my credentials.....I'm not afraid to answer any questions, but most of you guys have more tech exp. w/ this car than I do, but I can help you deal w/ salespeople in your area. That being said......

Although some people feel uncomfortable giving up a phone #to a dealer, I ask for it in case I need to get a hold of a customer for just that reason. I'm going to assume that that salesperson didn't ask, and therefore I assume they were new. I seriously doubt the car was *loaned* to any dealer....we never do it excpet w/in our auto group (8 brands,) and even then, we still prefer the customer to come to us, so we can properly demo the car to them. Would you go to a Jeep store to look check out a GTO, just b/c your Jeep salesman worked there? Prolly not.

Not to defend this guy, 'cuz I don't know him, but back in the day, I've been told, salespeople were told to say anything they needed to get a person in the store. I've only been in this biz for 9 mos., and it's a lot more relaxed/laid back, at least from what I've heard from the vets. They may have had the car, (PM me the city, state, zip, I'll check for you,) and somebody demo'ed it or traded it legitimately just before you got there. The car biz has changed a lot, but the buyer's attitude towards the sales staff has not. Reading some of your post, I can understand that, paying XXXX above sticker, no haggling allowing, I'd be torked, too.

Anyways, glad I'm here--to help, not to take bullets.

Steve

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well he did say that the car was loaned to one of they're group dealers. And he did have my phone number. So I really don't think he knew what was going on. Not a bad guy, just not very informed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reno'sGoat said:
Well he did say that the car was loaned to one of they're group dealers. And he did have my phone number. So I really don't think he knew what was going on. Not a bad guy, just not very informed.
Ok, so then he just plain ol' dropped the ball by not calling you back, or even earlier not telling his mgr. he had an appt. for the car. If we have an appt. on a specific car, te mgr. confirms it to make sure it's legit by calling the cust. back, and if need be, puts the car on "hold." We're pretty progressive as far as a dealership goes, so I doubt that the majority do this, but we're in a very small town, at the same time a very competitve mkt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.