Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought an '04 GTO about 6 months ago, recently it has developed a problem with occasional popping out of first gear on acceleration. I've read other posts about this, some saying that it might be related to dirty clutch fluid. I opened the reservoir, expecting the fluid to look like molasses. What I found was fluid looking like new but with some black debris laying on the bottom of the reservoir. Could this have something to do with the problem? Any thoughts or comments much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. It likely has a worn input shaft bearing or a pilot bearing ( if it has one ) that is failing .
fluid will not affect it like you are asking.
I’m wondering if those particles in the clutch oil could be related to the gear slipping problem, like maybe the same worn part causing both of those things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And BTW, the clutch master slave setup uses brake fluid not oil. Dont put in any oil :oops:
it’s popping out of first gear, but it is very intermittent. Might happen once every couple days under normal driving. It doesn’t happen when you put it in first while the car is moving, only if you put it in first while at a complete stop. Actually it’s blowing out of first gear, like it would break your arm if you tried to hold it. I understand it’s brake fluid in the clutch reservoir, sorry about the incorrect terminology.

·
Registered
521 Posts
sounds like a worn input shaft bearing. Its internal whatever it is. Pilot bearing, input shaft bearing, gear hub sleeve all can cause this to happen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like a worn input shaft bearing. Its internal whatever it is. Pilot bearing, input shaft bearing, gear hub sleeve all can cause this to happen
Would it be practical just to replace all three of those things? It seems the parts are cheap compared with the labor to pull and open the transmission

·
Registered
199 Posts
Maybe start with the free stuff -- make sure that the shifter is allowing the arm to fully engage first gear. If the shifter mechanism rotated on the pivot bolt because the locking bolt wasn't tight enough, you could have moved the shifter where it is not fully engaging first gear. Although the same should be true with third popping out, but still worthwhile to check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to close the book on this: I replaced the shifter and the problem (popping out of first gear) went away. I went with the short shifter from Hinson, love it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts