Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Clutch is in

170 Views 3 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  04AZGOAT
Picked up the GTO yesterday late afternoon. Off today so I’m going to see how many miles I can rack up while setting that clutch in. A lot of in city driving, have a doctors appointment. That stage three I tell ya the pedal feels nice like stock. But it clamps on that 1st gear. I was trying to take off nice and easy and I could feel the tires spin a little bit when that clutch grabbed.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
200+ miles today of stop and go and bunch of shifting. 500 miles can’t get here soon enough.
I've been driving almost 50 years and working on cars for about that long and have never broken in a clutch. What's up with that? Special clutch or specific directions?
With new clutches and brake linings, simply drive the car moderately with no abuse and you will be fine.
Reactions: 2
I've been driving almost 50 years and working on cars for about that long and have never broken in a clutch. What's up with that? Special clutch or specific directions?
With new clutches and brake linings, simply drive the car moderately with no abuse and you will be fine.
Well braking in is that exactly driving moderately for about 500 miles to work the flywheel and clutch material so there’s no glazing and you don’t lose tq capability. I’m not a guy who's dumping clutches or anything like that. But some folks mount the clutch and send it. I mean to each their own. Most clutch manufacturers say that a clutch should be driven moderately or “broken in” for 500 miles before puting any heavy loads on the clutch.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts