Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Fortunately, you and I are in California -- so the effect on price here will be minimal. Then again, you're talking about the oil companies here.

Very interesting announcement from OPEC yesterday. They are so fed up with dealing with the multi-national oil companies -- that they're going to start building a ton of their own refineries -- and start shipping finished product to the United States instead of unprocessed crude.

Frankly, I hope OPEC becomes vertically integrated -- and go all the way by opening their own retail filling stations -- thereby ripping the hearts out of ExxonMobil, Chevron, etc. by providing them with real competition.

What's driving this is that OPEC needs oil to stay in the $35-40 a barrel range. If it stays high like this -- reduced consumption and cost-effective alternatives will shut off their money spigot.

In the meantime, let's hope Rita decides to make a trip to the sunny beaches of Mexico.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ya, its not like this is the first time this country has seen a freaking hurricane. This is all a ploy to jack the prices up...

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
The oil companies have been jerking California around for something close to 5 years now. Said that because we use a special blend of gas -- it had to cost more.

I knew damn well they were testing for price elasticity -- and when people kept pumping a $2 a gallon plus -- that was their green light to jack up prices nationwide.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an idea.

Since warm water fuels the hurricane it would seem to make sense to take away the the storms power source by somehow cooling down the surrounding seas. It would take something exceeding cold to absorb all that heat, but I think I've got the answer.

I suggest they take a WC-130 up to 30,000' directly over the eye of Rita...and roll my ex-wife the out of the fecking loading ramp.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Personally, I think CNN is blowing up the Huricane situation/Gas Prices because it is bad for the Bush administration. They'll back any story that will lower the public's approval rating of the pres.

CNN is more biased then an intoxicated Kennedy.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
StocktonRaider said:
Personally, I think CNN is blowing up the Huricane situation/Gas Prices because it is bad for the Bush administration. They'll back any story that will lower the public's approval rating of the pres.

·
Registered
937 Posts
StocktonRaider said:

Intoxicated? I thought he had Syphilis, and his behavior was damage from the Spirochetes drilling into his brain for the last decade. Huh, go figure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
The oil companies have been jerking California around for something close to 5 years now. Said that because we use a special blend of gas -- it had to cost more.

I knew damn well they were testing for price elasticity -- and when people kept pumping a $2 a gallon plus -- that was their green light to jack up prices nationwide.

Anybody with half a brain can see that...every summer its a new excuse to jack up the prices. Money talks and B/S walks! We have let them get away with this for a long time, now we are dependant on it and will pay any price, not because we want to because we have to. Even China is trying to get into the oil business, anyone can see that it is a sure thing, a proven money maker with little sign of going anywhere

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have 2 comments:

1. I don't understand why we don't start breaking up these giant hurricanes by dropping one of our great many hydrogen bombs into them. The O2 displacement would disrupt the high and low preasure systems and is a heck-of-a-lot cheaper than the billion dollar effort needed to clean up after one.

2. My Goat is getting the worst gas milage EVER sice Katrina ( like 11mpg on the freeway) because BP is selling nasty quality watered down gas at $3.00 a gallon in Ohio where we don't have the needed "gas quality" laws that most states have.

Ok. I'm done venting. have a nice day! :rofl:

·
Registered
937 Posts
twolf said:
I have 2 comments:

1. I don't understand why we don't start breaking up these giant hurricanes by dropping one of our great many hydrogen bombs into them. The O2 displacement would disrupt the high and low preasure systems and is a heck-of-a-lot cheaper than the billion dollar effort needed to clean up after one.

2. My Goat is getting the worst gas milage EVER sice Katrina ( like 11mpg on the freeway) because BP is selling nasty quality watered down gas at $3.00 a gallon in Ohio where we don't have the needed "gas quality" laws that most states have.

Ok. I'm done venting. have a nice day! :rofl:
Ha! I dont know about you but I would take hurricane cleanup over radiation poisoning any day. When scientists are now able to get your exact age from the radioactive carbon-14 isotopes embedded in the enamel of your teeth for everyone born after above ground nuclear testing began, I think we have sufficiently poisoned our biosphere without adding more.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Groucho said:
I was thinking hat-making material, but that was a damned good comeback! :cheers

Thanks Groucho,

I think the main reason why our country is allowing for higher gas prices is to encourage other forms of fuel to be introduced into our economy. Aren't there methanol or ethanol conversion kits available for the ls1? Even though you dont get the same power or milage that might be a nice option down the road(5-10 years) and would be cheaper than (hopefully) 3 bucks a gallon.

Im surprised China is getting into the petrol business. They seem to be trying to do the same thing we are, use everybody elses resources only so that we can stockpile our own for a later date.(a little scary)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
twolf said:
I have 2 comments:

1. I don't understand why we don't start breaking up these giant hurricanes by dropping one of our great many hydrogen bombs into them. :
:eek:

Ummm...Since hurricanes feed off of heat, this would be like putting out a house fire by spraying JetA on it.

Did you go to the Oprah Winfrey School of Science, by any chance?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Groucho said:
:eek:

Ummm...Since hurricanes feed off of heat, this would be like putting out a house fire by spraying JetA on it.

Did you go to the Oprah Winfrey School of Science, by any chance?

Has anyone heard about the company that drops a corn bi-product out of a cargo plane into the eye of the storm, It's suppose to absorb all off the storms preasure. The drawbacks are pellets of corn, and I think thats about it. They've already tried it and it has worked well.

I dont know why in the world they wouldnt at least try this, after all LIVES are at stake.

·
Registered
275 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
In the meantime, let's hope Rita decides to make a trip to the sunny beaches of Mexico.

Nooooo!! Then, we'll be expected to take in all of Mexico's "displaced". They can't fix their own problems, so we'll be expected to fund it. The big push will then become to open our borders (even more so than now) and welcome more illegals for more free healthcare and free schooling. No thanks. I'd much rather take care of our own. :cool

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MoreMoonShine said:
Nooooo!! Then, we'll be expected to take in all of Mexico's "displaced". They can't fix their own problems, so we'll be expected to fund it. The big push will then become to open our borders (even more so than now) and welcome more illegals for more free healthcare and free schooling. No thanks. I'd much rather take care of our own. :cool
OK...let's get this straight, because my stoopidmeter just spiked. Maybe it was a stray signal, or somebody has Oprah playing in the lobby... so I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

You want this destructive b1tch to hit Texas rather than Mexico?????

1 - 20 of 55 Posts