Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy (craig) asked me to go to this car show (just guys in a wal mart parking lot) this past saturday and i said "sure". He drives an 04 mach 1 with an intake a new H pipe and flowmaster exaust. He also just got it tuned and dynoed and it said he was pushing 328 to the wheels. I have a bone stock 05 GTO M6 but i was just gonna ride with him to see what it was like (and so i dont get into any trouble). We met up with some other people and i ended up driving anyways.

So we get to the show and there are a lot of hondas, some low rider trucks, some wrx's, a few cobra's and there was only 1 GTO!!!!:D:D:D:D:D Mine!!! i was excited about that but anyways these cobalts started pouring in and one of the guys new my buddy with the mach 1. Of course he wanted to race my buddy (craig) but craig didnt want to get into trouble either. He gave craig crap the rest of the night and it was making me mad. He said his car was stock but we asked his friend and he said that he had a stage 2 pulley and a 50 shot of nitrous. We left wishing craig raced him.

I know uve been reading a long time but this is the good stuff!!!!!!!

So i was driving to my girlfriends house on tuesday night and who do i see? Its the cobalt kid! He comes off the interstate ramp and im just going 60 and he down shifts and takes off. I down shift and catch him. We get next to each other and we both look at each other and he gives the 3 finger sign for the honks. I nod yes and we slow down. We slow down to about 45 and he gives the 3 honks. I down shifted into 2nd and i think he did too. Lets just say i pulled from him the whole time. I hit 3rd and was prob a 1/2 a car in front. By the end of third i was 2 1/2 cars and i hit fourth and midway through 4th i was prob 3-4 cars in front still pulling. I slowed down at 120 and when he caught up we gave the thumbs up. He was really cool about it actually. I dont know if he sprayed but his fault if he didnt

I called my buddy and told him that i shut that kid up for him.

Now all i have to do is race the mach 1!:D:D:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't see how your friend's Mach 1 is making 328 whp w/ those few mods. They usually dyno around 280-285 stock. That's a big gain from so few mods....

Anyways, nice kill. Way to shut that Slowbalt driver up.....

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
The Cobalt is sharp, but ofcourse being a Ponitac person, even though my wife has a new Tahoe, I'd pick the G6 GXP they are a little nicer but still a little ricey.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
^ Do you mean the G5??? As far as I know, they don't come in a supercharged model like the Cobalt....
Yea, I did mean the G5, my local Pontiac dealership had three G6 GXP's, I'd have to say they look sharp, the rear spoiler looks a little ricey, but not bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see how your friend's Mach 1 is making 328 whp w/ those few mods. They usually dyno around 280-285 stock. That's a big gain from so few mods....

Anyways, nice kill. Way to shut that Slowbalt driver up.....

yea i think he was even a little suprised too. The guy that dynoed it said he got a "factory freak car". But i did see the dyno sheet and it said 328. I think me and him are gonna be a good race.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The new cobalt SS is going to have the 2.0 ecotec turbo from the Solstice gxp. It's a pretty impressive car, i'd buy one over a civic or sentra

·
Registered
289 Posts
^ As much as it pains me to say this, I'd buy one over the Sentra SE-R, too.

And it pains me to say this even more, but I'd take a new Si Sedan over both....

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
^ As much as it pains me to say this, I'd buy one over the Sentra SE-R, too.

And it pains me to say this even more, but I'd take a new Si Sedan over both....
I got to drive a friends SI coupe the other day. He drove the Cobalt SS Supercharged before buying the SI.

I liked the SI, it handled great, had great brakes and the seats were just perfect. No adjustments to speak of and immediately you found a comfortable seating position that was all day good.

I didn't like the lack of torque. I've also driven a couple Cobalt SS's and they tend to be more to my taste than the SI. Car and Driver was able to get the Cobalt SS to lap Virginia International Raceway quicker than the SI by a large margin, more than 5 seconds and that was about the same amount of time it beat Groucho's favorite the GTI by too. They also got the SS to lap faster than a Mustang GT too. It beat a Mini Cooper S too.

I owned a Sentra SER Spec V and except for the Rockford Fosgate audiophile system would never want any part of that car. On paper it has the goods, but it's like a cake that came out of the oven too early, it just isn't finished and ready to go to the party with the likes of the GTI, SI and Coby SS.

·
Registered
289 Posts
^ Yeah, I know the new Si's are pretty sweet little cars, but I just have a serious grudge against Honda..... I really don't know why....

·
Registered
264 Posts
I drove an Si and the dual layered dash i didnt like. The gearbox is very very good though, but the car has to be driven like its stolen to get moving quickly.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't underestimate the Mach 1 or it will surprise you real quick. They are actually rated at 315 hp but many have been putting close to that to the wheels stock. The advertised stock numbers were definately underrated. Combine that with the fact that they are much lighter, have a solid rear axle, and respond very well to bolt-ons and you have a very worthy opponent. I raced one with unknown bolt-ons(sounded like exhaust and maybe intake not sure)and we were dead even all the way through 3rd and I took him by about a turn signal lol. Im sure I am not the only one that has been challenged and surprised by the Mach 1.

·
Registered
137 Posts
^ There is no such thing as a factory freak ^

Most higher than norm dyno numbers can be linked back to inproper data or inaccurate readings.

As for the Cobalt SS/SC I gave one a try in 2005. Bone stock they are good for low 14's with a decent driver. I added Stage2 alone to mine and got a best of 13.7 @ 103.91mph and that was all she had. They handle damn good for a FWD car too.

As for the Mach1's a few of you are giving them a little too much credit. Nebraska is pretty much a Mustang ranch and I have yet to have had a close call in my F-Bodies or GTO with a Mach1. Most dyno in the high 260's and low 270's not 280's. The solid axle and 3.55's make them quick off the line but thats it. The T-3650 isn't suited for the DOHC 4.6's a T-56 would have been much better.

·
Registered
289 Posts
There's no such thing as a factory freak, huh?? Lol, okay. Whatever you say man.

I said they dyno AROUND 280. Meaning give or take some. Nearly every dyno sheet I've seen from a stock one was between 275-285whp. They were underrated a bit from the factory. And Mach's actually have good top-end....

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'm going to disagree with Cody on the factory freak thing here too. I had a 2002 Z28 with the A4. Bone stock it dyno'd the same as a friend of mines SS 6spd with headers and an exhaust. I did a lid, dyno tune and corsa exhaust and got 335 rwhp. The car was a factory freak. Everything came together perfect on that car. I also had a Contour SVT that dyno'd at over 200 whp stock while most were in the mid 170to mid 180 range. The Contour can be chalked up to different dyno's, but my Z28 was a back to back on the same dyno at the same time deal.

I'm not sure what Mach 1's dyno at, I just know they are strong cars. They will run a solid mid 13 straight from the factory and that makes them decently faster than the 05 and up Mustang GT's. They are worthy of respect from GTO's, F-bodies and LT4 Corvettes among other cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts