Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i have taken interest in my grand dad's GTO from 68. last week we took it out and cleaned it up a bit. it doesnt run but it does turn over great! here are some pictures. We washed and waxed it and cleaned the interior and temporarily paint the seat till we fixed the car in good running condition then focus on the interior replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this one doesnt need one. its been in storage 30 years of its life and the only rust is in the trunk but there is a softball size hole in it. but other than that NO rust.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Great job cleaning that up, that must have been some work. I would take that goofy looking door ding strip off the side, heat it with a hair dryer and slowly peel it off. Looks like you have 69 grills and valence, that could be expensive to make it correct.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man yeah it was quite a bit of work. haha yeah i agree my grandpa regrets putting that on however he drilled holes to put it on....gosh! oh i know but idk if it is a 69 valence i think it might be a 70 but i was thinking about leaving the grill and change the valence back.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah now that I look at it more closely, it's not a 69, I just assumed it was because of the grills. That isn't a 70 or 71 or 72, don't really know what it is. Just changing the valence and the turn signals may not be real expensive, but getting the chrome trim is pricey (like $400) unless you get lucky and find some in good condition and get them chromed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yeah i know... however.. there is someone that actually was saving all the chrome for me. one of my friends has it and is giving it to me :D

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
WOW, quite the transformation.
Crazy that he let it sit all those years with the top down. It may never straighten out again without cracking to pieces.
Have you gotten together with Jetstang yet ? he's in the same town and may be a good source of parts and info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha i know! the reason why is because the top was already ripped and torn. yes i have talking to him however this car is not where i am it up in south carolina still :-[ cheaper resto up there cause my grandpa has friends =-]

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
That is an incredible car! Get it down here, and I'll help you all I can, and try to keep you in check on doing the 20" rim thing, lol..
You are very lucky. Don't let them keep it to long, or he may keep it.. But that is OK also. A place in FWB does tops, they're supposed to be pretty good, but if he has friends in SC, may be better to get it done there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks man! hahaha there is no way i am putting 20' rims on this thing im keeping those rallye II's on it. i have like two extra ones for it too. hopefully i can bring it done here when we get a lot of the major stuff fixed (hole in the trunk, new paint touch, crease in the hood, and the fact it wont start). yeah its better to leave it up there cause one of his friends haas a shop where he can do all the work himself..free labor!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Why did you come back? It's summer, it would be great to spend a few months up there with Gramps getting the car running and go for a spin with him, especially if he has some old timer mechanics up there to help out, that would be a great life experience.. Then you could be the free labor you are talking about and get the satisfaction and knowledge of doing the car, really make it yours..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
free: i thought the same.

jet: i have a job and i wish i could stay up there the whole summer but i need to make money for college but more importantly to buy stuff for the car. im trying to go up there for a week every month and thats the best i can do.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
free: i thought the same.

jet: i have a job and i wish i could stay up there the whole summer but i need to make money for college but more importantly to buy stuff for the car. im trying to go up there for a week every month and thats the best i can do.
O well, just a thought. My daughter just graduated and got a full time job already, she is thinking she just gave up her last summer of freedom, so she's in the same boat.. Cool if you get up there for a few weeks, should be a good time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
O well, just a thought. My daughter just graduated and got a full time job already, she is thinking she just gave up her last summer of freedom, so she's in the same boat.. Cool if you get up there for a few weeks, should be a good time.
yeah it sorta sucks but as long as i can go up and help and get some training its cool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts