Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title suggests, I have a 2.0 WRX, which I like, but the lag is pretty bad.

After some thinking, I've decided that an 05+ GTO would be the perfect car for some good low end torque, as a compliment for my current ride.

Basically, I want what the WRX is not: lots of low end power. Seriously, like outrageous gobs of torque below 2000 rpm. Intake, EM, supercharger, whatever it takes.

I don't know much about big V8's or RWD, but I do know that they are very different from turbo H4's.

So I figured I'd come here and see what knowledge you goat guys could give me for accomplishing my goal.
Also, relative costs would be appreciated. From looking around, it seems like it'd be a bit more money than I'm used to spending for power mods.

Oh ya forgot to mention if anything will have to be done to an auto tranny to keep up with any extra power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Search around on this site and all your questions will be answered. It depends on what kind of power you want 05/06 has 400hp 395lbft add 100 in anyway and your ok stock start going higher and it'll start costing you. Just like the WRX. How fast you go is dependant on your wallet size. Take a look around...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Get one and put a procharger on it...torque galore!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I searched a bit, found the super/turbo thread and some others, really I was thinking of your basic centrifugal supercharger setup.

But I don't know about the specifics of the GTO. I mean, WRX's are pretty finacky when it comes to what works and what doesn't.
I'll look around the intake/exhaust forum to see exactly how other mods affect the engine or a super setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I have an sti and it has plenty of torque for a 4 cyl. Is the wrx that much of a difference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
If I could answer all your questions I would but my memories about as good as a grapefruits. I'd just have to go searching myself. I'm sure if you've got any questions someone here's got the answer. Good luck!!:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PHiL2 said:
I have an sti and it has plenty of torque for a 4 cyl. Is the wrx that much of a difference?
Yes, indeed. You would not believe how much of a difference the extra .5 liters makes on a car that depends on a turbo for power.

With the right modifications (read: exhaust + EM), the 2.0 becomes more drivable, but it will never wet anyone's pants like a big V8 could down low.

Ironmancan said:
If I could answer all your questions I would but my memories about as good as a grapefruits. I'd just have to go searching myself. I'm sure if you've got any questions someone here's got the answer. Good luck!!
That's about what I expected. I know these places are great for information when you look for it.
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
KingOfSiam said:
Ya I searched a bit, found the super/turbo thread and some others, really I was thinking of your basic centrifugal supercharger setup.
Go with a roots set up with screw impellers. Centrifugal superchargers do not add boost in a liner fashion -- you have to build revs before the output begins. The end result is just like low-end turbo lag.

The screw impellers feed air smoothly all the time -- versus the wap-wap-wap of a helix type set up. FYI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
I got rid of an 04 STi for the 05 GTO and although the stock 1/4 mile times are close they are two entirely different beasts. Low end torque in the GTO is huge compared to the STi especially in stop and go traffic. The regular WRX is a turd under 4,000 rpm. The car shudders and feels anemic unless you have boost built up. I do not regret the decision to buy the GTO. With about 2,000 in mods, I have dyno'ed 364 rear wheel hp which is good for 12.9 quarter mile times and a smile on my face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Like b_a said above, do NOT get a centrifugal supercharger if you're looking for low-end torque, you'll be severely disappointed. There are fundamental differences in the way the centrifugal and the positive displacement superchargers work which dictates when the max horsepower/torque is made.
With a positive displacement supercharger, you could have up to 80% of your total hp/torque at as low as 2200 rpm. Depending on which pulley and make/model you buy, it's possible to have the boost come on even lower.
The centrifugal would probably give you power which would feel similar to the turbocharger you have now, only without the lag.
If you want maximum low-end torque, you need more displacement...either from a larger engine or a roots/twin-screw supercharger. That's just the way it works. :)
By the way, I've driven a STi and I really wasn't impressed. It was semi-fun once you got WAAAAAAY up into the RPMs, but at low rpm, it was just a sloth. The dang thing didn't want to go anywhere unless you were above 4500 rpm. To me, low-end torque is what makes a car FUN. The more, the merrier as far as I'm concerned. :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Yo Phil are you on LS1GTO.com?
I gunna have to disagree with the STi
when my brother bought one in 04 it was fun as hell to drive
I went from my 70 Nova with 460hp to a 300hp 4 banger
it wasn't as powerful but I almost had the same head snap when I dogged it driving it home for him
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
I guess the reason I didn't like it is because I'm very used to the detroit-type neck-snapping low-end torque. The vast majority of my cars/trucks have had large V8s, several with positive displacement superchargers on 'em. Once you get used to that kind of power, it's rather difficult to go back to anything that doesn't press your eyeballs into your skull from about 2000 rpm on up.
The STi may not be a bad car, it's just not for me. On a positive note, it did handle like it was on rails. Lots of fun on a twisty highway as long as you can keep the RPMs up. I didn't drive the car extensively enough to give it a 100% thumbs up/down though. I'm sure it has quite a bit of potential. I'm not one to completely bash a car that I haven't owned.
Now, the mustang on the other hand...
bah humbug!
:lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
707GTOLS2 said:
Yo Phil are you on LS1GTO.com?
I gunna have to disagree with the STi
when my brother bought one in 04 it was fun as hell to drive
I went from my 70 Nova with 460hp to a 300hp 4 banger
it wasn't as powerful but I almost had the same head snap when I dogged it driving it home for him

yes I am!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
baron_iv said:
I guess the reason I didn't like it is because I'm very used to the detroit-type neck-snapping low-end torque. The vast majority of my cars/trucks have had large V8s, several with positive displacement superchargers on 'em. Once you get used to that kind of power, it's rather difficult to go back to anything that doesn't press your eyeballs into your skull from about 2000 rpm on up.
The STi may not be a bad car, it's just not for me. On a positive note, it did handle like it was on rails. Lots of fun on a twisty highway as long as you can keep the RPMs up. I didn't drive the car extensively enough to give it a 100% thumbs up/down though. I'm sure it has quite a bit of potential. I'm not one to completely bash a car that I haven't owned.
Now, the mustang on the other hand...
bah humbug!
:lol:
Amen Brother!!!
I agree with you on your statement when I drove it home I wanted more time in it to see what it could really do but, my brother had to be an a hole and not let me drive it for a while
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Hahaha!!! thanks guys,
yea he doesn't want to race me anymore(after talking a whole lotta $h!t)
took him for a ride in her and he had the OHHH $H!T Face going the whole time we were out. The funny thin was I had the T/C on th whole time, but when I turned it off he almost $h!tted his Pants!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
My best friend purchased an STi last year and let me drive it a fair amount. As far as the snap your neck feeling, just rev it to 4k and drop the clutch. That feeling is far more intense than anything you will find in a sub 700hp car. I also like how it handled. The feeling of the backend rotating on you properly compared to the GTO which has a lot of push going into a turn is amazing. The worst part though is the amazing lack of power between 2000 and 4500rpm unless you are racing from a stop.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top