I love:
  • The insane horsepower in this car
  • The fit & finish - I hate rattles, and this thing is tight
  • The handling - much fun on twisty roads
  • The brakes - stops without effort like no other car I've ever driven
  • The unfounded "sleeper" label. Yeah, right. This ain't no sleeper
  • The sound - whether standing on it or crusing around town
  • The look - an unpretentious bad-ass with the balls to prove it
  • The skip shift - I'm going to have that page marked for any cop who pulls me over in town
  • This list goes on for a while...I'll spare you

I don't like:
  • The owners manual break-in instructions. Someone should be fired for that
  • The skip shift - that's a T-Bone waiting to happen and should be removed for safety reasons
  • The gas cap on the wrong side :lol:
  • I have a squeaky bushing in the front end

I'm a critical bastard, and that list is pretty good so far. I fall more in love with this car every time I drive it.

Gerry

See less See more
#3 ·
Fuel door is an issue?

Coming from driving Northern European cars for the past 25 years (Saab turbo's), the fuel door is in the right place as far as I'm concerned! :lol:

What else I love? It does get the attention, and though two of the 4 Saabs did get noticed quite a bit, it was never like I'm getting with the Goat! Love it.

All the rest as you described, :agree: completely!

Jim Miller

#4 ·
Oh, the rather scary thing: Many of the switches and controls are an exact match to the Saab gear -- stands to reason since Saab is also now owned by the GM mother-ship...

JM

#5 ·
I agree almost 100%, ShoddyHog. I also like the car more, the more I own it.

I have to disagree on liking the skip shift--it is 100% on my hate list, probably at the top for this car (though, fortunately, I have been getting around it and it hasn't triggered in at least a month).

I prefer a gas cap on the driver's side, but the cars I've owned over the years have been a mix of which side it is on so I'm not more used to one side or the other.

I don't like that the gas cap is a thin plastic--feels cheap--but I can understand there isn't much point of weight there. I would have prefered a thin sheet of metal. I do like that the gas door is up high though--gives it a little bit of retro feel.

I feel the car is sleeperish, as opposed to undeserving of the sleeper title. I think that's where I deviate from your list :)

#7 ·
GTJimbO said:
Coming from driving Northern European cars for the past 25 years (Saab turbo's), the fuel door is in the right place as far as I'm concerned! :lol:
Jim Miller
I was stationed at an airfield just outside of Nurnemberg from 85-88. When my sister-in-law and brother-in-law came over to visit, we rented a Saab 9000 Turbo. As of today (well, maybe yesterday) it is no longer the fastest car I've ever driven. And the Autobahn??? Yeah baby.

That was a unique experience for me...my one and only turbo. Sure, the spooling up was an issue at first, but if you have a turbo, you know how to keep the boost up when you need it. Funny to stand on it though...only to feel like a 4-banger that lights up. I prefer the torque curve on the goat though :cool Anyway, we all got used to the Saab after Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.

Nice car. My CO also came in and said, "I finally found a problem with my Saab...at 120, the windshield wipers will not competely retract when I shut them off" :eek: My 1LT also had a Saab, but I think I pissed him off. He gave me a ride one time, and I said, "This thing sounds just like a deuce and a half." Ha!

Gerry

#8 ·
Clueless said:
I agree almost 100%, ShoddyHog. I also like the car more, the more I own it.

I have to disagree on liking the skip shift--it is 100% on my hate list, probably at the top for this car (though, fortunately, I have been getting around it and it hasn't triggered in at least a month).

I feel the car is sleeperish, as opposed to undeserving of the sleeper title. I think that's where I deviate from your list :)
Well, it sounds to me like we really do agree. The inclusion on my likes for the skip shift was solely because I will use that to explain to an officer why it "sounded like" I was getting on her. It may or may not work, but I'll give that a shot. Other than that, I think that is the absoloute most idiotic thing I've ever seen on a car, period. No matter how its intent is explained, the only use I can see for it increacing fuel economy is by killing people who drive it.

I'm going to complain about it to both Pontiac and everyone else I can.

Well, "sleeper" is a bit subjective...and if you've followed what I've been posting on other threads, that's one of the main resons I liked the goat and got the black. I'm just finding out that it is not the sleeper I thought it was. It still is in comparison to others. In my labeling it as an "unpretentious bad-ass" I was saying just that. A stang 6 banger painted in bust-me yellow with racing stripes is pretentious...the goat? "I don't have to look all that bad, but you can bet your ass I am!"

I can tell you one thing for sure...if I get hit by K-band on the way to work and am anywhere near a Mustang, I'm thinking I won't get the ticket.

Gerry

#10 ·
flyer469 said:
That whole skip shift thing? I have tried to make mine come on and can't,,,i guess that is good? dont know why it wont? read the manual on when it is suppose to come on but i cant make it do it???
Consider yourself lucky. I'm with Hog in that I have always felt this darn thing was a safety hazard, considering it usually kicks in for me when I'm crossing intersections :(

I can't accurately describe the situations that trigger it, but when it's kicked in for me, it has been the following:
1) I'm behind other cars, stopped at a red light. I'm boxed in, so at their mercy when it comes to how fast we can take off.
2) Light turns green, and when the other drivers finally take their attention away from their cell phones/kids/radios/indash DVD players enough to notice, they take off.
3) I start out in shift at a certain slow but not super slow acceleration.
4) After their initial take off, the other drivers let off the gas some.
5) I'm still in 1st, suddenly I have to start accelerating slower, and I haven't reached what I feel is a normal shift point.
6) I finally reach a shift point, push down clutch, trying flipping to 2nd.
7) *push* *push* It's not going into 2nd..
8) *push* *push* Ugh, it must be that &@#*(& skip shift again! (as realization kicks in)
9) Pull shifter back to neutral from the aborted attempt at 2nd, make a manual but illogical move to 4th.
10) Finally can move again, but I've lost 500 rpms during that "stall" time and left a gap in which 2 more cell-phone toting or burger-muching dorks cut me off.

I think that about sums up the "bliss" of skip-shift.

#11 ·
ShoddyHog said:
Saab 9000 Turbo. As of today (well, maybe yesterday) it is no longer the fastest car I've ever driven. And the Autobahn??? Yeah baby.

Gerry
They are cool. Amazing power can be made out of those cars. Buddy of mine has built a 400 hp 9000 with just a 2.3 liter turbo 4. But with that much power, FWD is a handle to control and put the power down. Love 'em still, but the rumble of the Goat is just awesome.

Oh, and the deuce reference? Man, you got that right! I wouldn't have been pissed at that comment at all!

Jim M.

Attachments

#12 ·
Clueless said:
Consider yourself lucky. I'm with Hog in that I have always felt this darn thing was a safety hazard, considering it usually kicks in for me when I'm crossing intersections :(

:agree

My wife won't even drive the car because of it. I only had it happen once today because I meant to duplicate it, but have had it happen at bad times. If that happens when I'm pulling out on '67, kiss ShoddyHog goodbye! Today, I just let her climb quite a way up in RPM with the last bit more throttle. I apologize to any residents of St. Genevieve that may have been awakened becuase of skip shift.

In all seriousnes though, I'm going to complain. If anyone can show me the short route to GM and the NTSB, that's cool. If not, I will find them myself. I think it is such a safety hazzard, I couldn't live with myself if I don't

Gerry

#13 ·
No offense to anyone here so please don't take this as an attack- I just find it odd that GM has been using the skip shift since late 80's and I have never heard people complain about it as much as I do here. I have never once considered it a safety issue- perhaps because I shift at a higher RPM than most while driving? I have never been one to "lug" a motor and shift before 2000 rpm's. Saying it is a safety issue and trying to get something done about a "feature" (yes, I use that term loosely) that is mentioned in the manual along with which conditions it is activated during makes no sense to me?? I pull out into traffic all the time- slow, fast, busy, etc. and have never had a problem with it. The couple of times it does get me, I just pop it in third and go on my merry way- never once thought- "oh my, that could have killed me".

I just don't get it?????? Maybe it is the "type" of car people here? Maybe most of you are coming over from European/German cars and are a bit more "picky" about things? I have had this on every 6 speed GM car I have owned and on a few, I have had it turned off, gotten the eliminator (or made one), etc., but it has never been a problem for me. Again, maybe my driving style just differs from the others here who complain about it.. Just curious as to why some people absolutely hate it like it's out to kill them and others don't even notice/care that it is there.

#14 ·
Clueless said:

I can't accurately describe the situations that trigger it, but when it's kicked in for me, it has been the following:
1) I'm behind other cars, stopped at a red light. I'm boxed in, so at their mercy when it comes to how fast we can take off.
2) Light turns green, and when the other drivers finally take their attention away from their cell phones/kids/radios/indash DVD players enough to notice, they take off.
3) I start out in shift at a certain slow but not super slow acceleration.
4) After their initial take off, the other drivers let off the gas some.
5) I'm still in 1st, suddenly I have to start accelerating slower, and I haven't reached what I feel is a normal shift point.
6) I finally reach a shift point, push down clutch, trying flipping to 2nd.
7) *push* *push* It's not going into 2nd..
8) *push* *push* Ugh, it must be that &@#*(& skip shift again! (as realization kicks in)
9) Pull shifter back to neutral from the aborted attempt at 2nd, make a manual but illogical move to 4th.
10) Finally can move again, but I've lost 500 rpms during that "stall" time and left a gap in which 2 more cell-phone toting or burger-muching dorks cut me off.

I removed the shift skip... lately though, I've been starting in 2nd gear. I'm not sure if thats too hard on the car or not.. but it takes off a lot smoother acceleration. 1st seems way to low for me.... like just enough to get me moving, then shift.

#15 ·
Ummm

Not trying to sound stupid but how can it "kill you" and how is it a "safty hazard". Mine has never kicked on while im driving on a main road, its always in a sub. Dont get me wrong, I hate it to but you just drop you rpms or you increase them. Can someone please explain the "kill you" and "safty hazard" aspect.

Oh and this too "2) Light turns green, and when the other drivers finally take their attention away from their cell phones/kids/radios/indash DVD players enough to notice, they take off."

#17 ·
RipTheSix said:
Not trying to sound stupid but how can it "kill you" and how is it a "safty hazard".
First, let me say that I do not take offense to anyone having a different opinion than mine.

1. I leave for work at 5:00 AM, pull out on an incline, and would prefer to remain in good standing with my neighbors across the street. That's not a safety issue, but I try to be polite.

2. Happened to me when I got the car and within the first few drives. One of the local cops was sitting right there, so I was simply trying not to draw his attention. It happened, I almost stalled it, and darn near got hit in the ass by the guy behind me. Let's just say with him a honking, and my subsequent take off, I drew much more attention than I wanted to.

3. I've already gotten used to how to avoid it, but if it happens to my wife when she's pulling out on highway 67 and stalls it. She's dead. And I dearly love my wife. I'm sure someone else would verify this...where we pull onto 67(Victoria Road) is a death trap to begin with. In the mornings, it is like pulling out across rush hour interstate traffic and into it as well. Without merge lanes.

I sort of doubt I'll get the eliminator because I'll get used to it, but I COULD see it killing someone. If removing it saves just one life, it would be worth it to remove it IMHO.

Gerry

#22 ·
Doodad said:
For crying out loud, just eliminate the thing either with the little resistor cable they sell or (better) by program when you are getting a good dyno tune. Not worth the complaining. First thing my Dad and I did in our Camaros and Vettes.
Yowza! Don't get mad man...I'm just saying how I feel. I will have to go back and read the threads, but it sounded like PITA to install and then remove before taking it back to the dealer to avoid warranty issues.

If it is as easy as you say to intstall, done deal.

That still doesn't change my stance on the "feature".

Gerry

#23 ·
kerno said:
Hey, ShoddyHog, the skip shift eliminator is cheap (under $ 30.00) and an absolute breeze to install. It was my first and favorite mod. Don't put up with it or try to work around it. It is almost less effort to istall than fighting one stinkin' shift!
Yeah...my thoughts about the feature aside, I'd still appreciate NOT having a computer tell me how to drive. The more I drive it, it's not an issue for me, but I'd like to have control of how I shift.

For anyone that disagrees with me, please support your stance by stating WHY you love the skip-shift.

Gerry

#24 ·
Just added to the list...

I have a huge gouge on my passenger side wheels. I didn't even notice it when I picked her up, and frowned because I thought I'd be in for a fight. Fortunately for me, there's an identical mark on both the front and back.

I guess that's not a real test for Auffenberg. Any small claims court in the land would side with me.

Gerry

#25 ·
kwiktsi said:
No offense to anyone here so please don't take this as an attack- I just find it odd that GM has been using the skip shift since late 80's and I have never heard people complain about it as much as I do here.
I complained about it here for a couple of reasons--the main reason I did so in this thread was someone on the 1st page said this had never happened to him, and wondered what the fuss was, so I described a slightly sarcastic list of steps that set the skip shift off. I do want to say that I have gotten pretty good at avoiding triggering it, and haven't had it kick in now in some time, but do plan on installing the eliminator (eventually..)

I have owned only 1 car before with this functionality. It was a 4cyl manual Cavalier. Maybe because the car was underpowered, maybe because different conditions triggered the skip shift, but whatever the reason I don't think I ever encountered the skip shift on that car. Other than that, as to vehicles I've owned, they've all been automatics, which of course don't have that feature, at least not in any driver-noticable fashion.

Additionally, and this kind of ties in with my saying it is a potential safety hazard--I don't like noticable delays in things related to the car. So, when there is that brief moment of limbo when you have to hunt gears (which is how it was initially with me until I got used to the skip shift), it feel somewhat unnerving.

To touch on the potential safety hazard part, let me describe the very first time skip shift ever kicked off in this car.

I was driving in the left hand lane of a 4 lane road, behind other traffic. I needed to make a left turn, so got into the temporary 5th (turning) lane behind some other cars.

There was a reasonable break in the oncoming traffic. Enough of a break for probably 3 cars to turn left. I was only the 2nd car. The first car starts going, and I start to follow him. Well the first car decided to turn very slowly. Granted, there was enough of a gap that it still shouldn't have been a problem for at least 2 cars and probably 3 to go through. But--skip shift kicked in. Keep in mind it was the first time happening in this car, and I hadn't owned a manual in 10 years so was rusty. On top of that, it was pretty sunny so I guess that is why I did not see the light on the dash at all.

So here I was in neutral, trying to figure out what was going on and correct it. Now, realistically all of this probably happened in less than a second or some very short time, but it seemed to stretch at the time. A car was coming in the oncoming lane--and he was probably going at least 50 though it was a 35 zone. I finally gear-hunted, got it in gear, and made it through. Though I was through before the speeding car was close, it still caused a moment of panic, and thoughts of "what if I hadn't figured it out so quick."

So, that's where my sayings come from. I think those who don't install the eliminator do get used to it pretty quick, but there is still those couple of times when you are not used to it, which is especially true for either those new to manuals or who haven't owned one in ages.

No offense taken at your statement; it is OK to ask questions or state different opinion, provided it is done in a mature manner at least, which you did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.