Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I got back yesterday from a driving vacation out west in our '05 goat with the 4 spd. auto trans. Total miles driven were a bit over 4800 miles so the second oil change in now due.

No mechanical issues at all other than the occasional bleat from the horn mentioned in a previous post. Home base is in NE Louisiana and the trip took us out across Texas to Las Vegas, Yosimite Nat. Park, Lake Tahoe, eastward across Nevada to Rocky Mountain Nat. Park, across Nebraska to St. Joe, Missouri to visit internet friends and then south to Louisiana. Comments about the trip follow:

(1) The underhood power doesn't really manifest itself unless the accelerator pedel is depressed enough to cause a downshift at which point the goat really comes alive. With "normal" accelerator depression, the car really doesn't pull off any harder than most other cars from stoplights. This likely is not a bad trait if mpg is important.

(2) The car handles 30 mph crosswinds without complaint.

(3) Average fuel consumption came in a 20.1 mpg for the entire trip.

(4) Average interstate speeds were in the 75 to 80 mph range and two lane driving on open roads was in the 60 to 65 mph range. A good bit of mountain driving with many twisties and occasional 7 and 8 precent grades both up and downhill. I do believe in using engine braking as much as possible.

(5) One speed burst while passing 5 cars on highway 93 between Armagosta Valley and Aston, NV where I let the goat go up to 115 mph. Solid as a rock and no effort from the '05 goat. Really was tempted to let'er run on up further but hungry cops and jail scare me.

(6) Had to add one quart of Mobil 1 in Nebraska. Not absolutely sure I got that extra half quart put in on the first oil change but did notice that I has about a half quart low in western Texas on the outbound leg.

(7) Total miles now on the car when we got home is 6533.

(8) That so called "small trunk" held both the wife's and my drag along luggage easily because the squared off trunk lid allowed me to stack one on top of the other and still provided room to spare on each end for smaller items.

(9) You guys in California are getting ripped off with gas prices. Louisiana $2.29/gal for premium, Texas about the same, New Mexico $2.89/gal., Nevada $2.99/gal., California (get this!) $3.59/gal., Nebraska $2.69/gal., Missouri $2.39/gal. Haven't totaled yet but fuel bill will be around $680. Overall was well pleased with the fuel economy of the LS2 engine.

(10) Noticed that my '05 goat has an annoying "dead spot" in the throttle which is right between acceleration and deacceleration. On flat land, this isn't even noticed but in the mountains (especially with the cruise control on) it can cause a slight surging when going downhill if the grade is just so so.

(11) Engine braking is excellent in 3rd gear on 4 to 6% grades. Second gear is needed for anything steeper. I sometimes wished the transmission would downshift earlier than it had when climbing steep grades but this is a minor complaint, however, as the torque the LS2 puts up is more than up to the task of climbing steep grades.

(12) The car handles sharp curves exceptionally well with no noticeable understeer or oversteer. Body roll is hardly noticeable.

(13) I need an ashtray and a cigerette lighter wouldn't hurt either.

Anywho, I thought you guys might like to hear of my observations of the '05 GTO and other items on this extended driving trip. We had a great time and got several favorable comments on the car when stopped and many second glances from other drivers on the road. Really was hoping could bag a "road kill" during the trip but the chance never arose.

G

·
Cottonfarmer said:
(9) You guys in California are getting ripped off with gas prices. California (get this!) $3.59/gal.,
You must have had to get gas in some tiny desert outpost. Any California town with more than one gas station will have gas at about $2.85/gallon for premium. That's what I've been paying for about two months, everywhere I've purchased it.
Glad you had no problems and that you both enjoyed your trip. Next time come all the way to the coast...I'll show you cheaper gas and some nice roads that will let you experience some body roll. :D

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We got suckered by my GPS into driving California highway 4. I couldn't make those turns fast enough to make the body on any car roll. :) Smooth road but both eastbound and westbound traffic share the road which is only wide enough for one direction of travel and no center dividing stripe. Dangerous road IMHO but California does give a warning: (vehicles over 25 ft. in length not advised). Several switchbacks had the GTO steering completely racked to the stop to negotiate. Two ladies in an open topped Jeep were following us and missed one curve and wound up in the bushes. No one hurt, no damage luckily.

At first it was kinda fun but by the time we got out of the twisties (about 50 miles of them) at Markleeville I was exhausted.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Cottonfarmer said:
We got suckered by my GPS into driving California highway 4. I couldn't make those turns fast enough to make the body on any car roll. :) Smooth road but both eastbound and westbound traffic share the road which is only wide enough for one direction of travel and no center dividing stripe. Dangerous road IMHO but California does give a warning: (vehicles over 25 ft. in length not advised). Several switchbacks had the GTO steering completely racked to the stop to negotiate. Two ladies in an open topped Jeep were following us and missed one curve and wound up in the bushes. No one hurt, no damage luckily.

At first it was kinda fun but by the time we got out of the twisties (about 50 miles of them) at Markleeville I was exhausted.
Try 88 next time out of Stockton. It's got a little more up and down than 4 but is wider better road. Avoid it on a weekend though as traffic backs up behind fools and their motorhomes. I've made just about the same trip as you 4 times now, plus certain legs of it more. Incredible scenery and great roads to drive a GTO on.

I'm heading out on the 12th to Pittsburgh for a family reunion. Then out of Pittsburgh on the 17th for a trip to the coast and down all the way to Key West on the 19th. An old girlfriend from Pittsburgh is heading to the Keys with me, and flying out on the 22nd. I was really wondering about the room, and mileage. I'm guessing with the 6m I'll get 1-2 better.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.