Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many others out there, I'm considering an 04 GTO because of the $2k off sticker plus another $2k off for gmac financing. Due to lack of advertising and bland styling, I didn't even know that GM had started selling the GTO until I saw the discounts in the paper. So, I read on the forum that the 05 will have the LS2 engine (good), but hood scoops (will water get into the engine compartment when it rains?). I sold my last sports car a while ago and had my sights set on a 3 year old C5 (as soon as the C6 comes out to drive the C5 prices down). But now I'm thinking that an 04 GTO may be a better solution for me (I wouldn't need a daily driver in the winter), but I always modify my sports cars (mainly, I add hp). I've read that there are several options for upgrading hp on the GTO. I was wondering what the cost for those hp upgrades would be. I probably wouldn't spend more than $5k - what would that get me? I'm figuring that not all the Corvette LS1 upgrades would fit in the GTO, so I'm wondering what $5k of GTO upgrades would get?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't understand why the 04 GTO has gotten such a bad wrap when it comes to exterior styling... maybe because I like it so much :) Lotta folks didn't like the big butt on the C5 when it came out in 97... turned out to be a big hit. I, for one, am not looking forward to the retro cheese that will be forth coming on the 05. Its funny how popular retro styling is. I like the Holden look... although I do feel GM could have done a better job at grafting the Pontiac look.
Right now I think the GTO is a bargain considering what you get with the discounts. Note that the 05 will have a 400hp LS2 that will NOT be forced induction friendly. The 04, with the LS1 and its discount pricing, will damn near save you enough money in the end to pick up a Magnuson and have far more power than the 05... IMO :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I kind of like the way the GTO looks and I'm considering replacing my 95 GP with one. Hood scoops would be nice and I'm sure that there will be carbon fiber hoods available with scoops in the near future. The LS1 engine is a great for modding. With Heads and Cam you'll be able to tweak it up to about 450 RWHP. As a "former" Ford man, I think GM is on the right track, remember this is the first year and the GTO should only get better. I gave up on Ford after they screwed up the Tbird.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had my Impulse Blue 04 for about a month now. Cars I've had before include an 87 Buick Grand National, 3 different Mustangs, a turbo charged 62 Olds Jetfire, and Opel Rallye.

If you want a car to blend into the background so nobody notices you, then the new GTO is not for you. I am just amazed the recognition this car gets. Driving down the street people will roll down their windows and give me a thumbs up, the techs at Oil Masters shook my hand and thanked me for letting them change the oil. Guys have come up to me in a restaurant asking: Is that your GTO in the parking lot? (must have seen my GTO hat). Even after blowing past a Mustang from a stop light, the two teenie bops within both gave me a thumbs up (yes I did look twice to be sure it was their thumbs!)

I like the styling of the car, but its not unique (personally I think it kinda looks like a Dodge Stratus!) - its certainly not as identifiable as say a '64 Mustang was when it first came out. My wife thinks I bought it just to get all this attention, but who knew?

Personally, I think the car handles great, it is SUPER quick right out of the box, and just feels good to drive. Sure the 05 might be better, but then the 06 will be better than that, and the 07...

Sign me, No buyers remorse here! Larry

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had my Impulse Blue 04 for about a month now. Cars I've had before include an 87 Buick Grand National, 3 different Mustangs, a turbo charged 62 Olds Jetfire, and Opel Rallye.

If you want a car to blend into the background so nobody notices you, then the new GTO is not for you. I am just amazed the recognition this car gets. Driving down the street people will roll down their windows and give me a thumbs up, the techs at Oil Masters shook my hand and thanked me for letting them change the oil. Guys have come up to me in a restaurant asking: Is that your GTO in the parking lot? (must have seen my GTO hat). Even after blowing past a Mustang from a stop light, the two teenie bops within both gave me a thumbs up (yes I did look twice to be sure it was their thumbs!)

I like the styling of the car, but its not unique (personally I think it kinda looks like a Dodge Stratus!) - its certainly not as identifiable as say a '64 Mustang was when it first came out. My wife thinks I bought it just to get all this attention, but who knew?

Personally, I think the car handles great, it is SUPER quick right out of the box, and just feels good to drive. Sure the 05 might be better, but then the 06 will be better than that, and the 07...

Sign me, No buyers remorse here! Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
The prices on the 2004 are just beginning to come down to normal realistic down to earth levels from the stratospheric amounts that were being charged not too long ago. And it is what? Almost to the end of August?

The BIG question to ask yourself is: If you are really serious, I mean flat out dead serious about getting the 2005 (instead of the 2004), be honest with yourself, leave all the wishful thinking behind, and decide how much do you think you will pay for a 2005 when they finally arrive.

I laugh so hard at all these 05 wannabe's who think and fool themselves into thinking they will get it at prices lower than an 04. What a bunch of morons. They obviously missed their Economic 101 classes in college, the ones where they taught the inverse relationship between supply and demand. Here we are, a bunch of stupid 04 owners who couldn't even get a decent price on a car that everyone on the internet hated, and yet the people who laughed and passed on the 2004 think that they get get a good deal on the 2005 because now they decided that it is a better model. Does that even make any sense to any one with a functioning brain?

If you get a 2004, you will finally get a decent price, much lower than the very first owners paid when they got it in the behind with dealer marked up prices.

And for you folks that want to buy a 2005. Keep dreaming. I heard dealers will sell them at a low, low price of $14,995.00. And a coupon for unlimited lap dances at a strip club near you.

LOL!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts