Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am considering picking up a 2006 GTO and I want to get up to speed FAST with the nuances of this car and what the mainstream mods are for this car. Are there any issues I need to be aware of with this car? (e.g, engine, windows, noises, recalls, etc...) Also, what is the best brand of aftermarket HID's for this car? The first mod I want are HID's as all of my cars have had them and I can't imagine doing without them. Lastly, is there any place to get the appearance package other than Pontiac?

I will look around the forums for this info, but like I said, I want to get up to speed asap.

I appreciate any responses!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Main issue to look into is strut failures on the 2006's. Basically, all GTOs produced between Jan 2006-May 2006 will need the struts replaced. They will start to leak oil all over the place between 10-1500 miles and cause the bushings to break down, causing clunking noise. Pontiac is aware of it and the replacement struts are backordered throughout the country, so most people have been waiting 4 weeks+. I luckly got mine replaced several weeks ago. The issue is with Monroe changing to a lighter weight oil in the struts which caused them to leak.

Other than that, just search and you'll see some of the issues people are having. As for mods, the LS2 responds nicely to long tubes, an exhaust, CAI and a dyno tune. If you want more power (400+rwhp) you will need to look into a larger cam, N2O, or F1 (supercharger, turbo).

edit****

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Main issue to look into is strut failures on the 2006's. Basically, all GTOs produced between Jan 2006-May 2006 will need the struts replaced. They will start to leak oil all over the place between 10-1500 miles and cause the bushings to break down, causing clunking noise. Pontiac is aware of it and the replacement struts are backordered throughout the country, so most people have been waiting 4 weeks+. I luckly got mine replaced several weeks ago. The issue is with Monroe changing to a lighter weight oil in the struts which caused them to leak.

Other than that, just search and you'll see some of the issues people are having. As for mods, the LS2 responds nicely to long tubes, an exhaust, CAI and a dyno tune. If you want more power (400+rwhp) you will need to look into a larger cam, N2O, or F1 (supercharger, turbo).

edit****
So, are you saying that when I take delivery of my GTO tomorrow, I should be asking the service department to replace my struts before I leave?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More Help??

A few more questions...

1. What is the largest functional tire size I could get away with on the GTO? (245/35 front 275/30 rear?)

2. What are the most popular tires for the GTO? (Potenza, Toyo, etc...)

3. How good is the Xenon HID kit from TBYRNE? (It costs $500)

4. What are the most popular intake and exhaust systems for the GTO?

5. Are there any chips/ECU reflashes available for the GTO?

6. Has anyone purchase wheels from Wheelmax? Are they any good? Are they forged or cast alluminum? How come tire rack only has 3 wheels available for the GTO? Where is the best place to get wheels for the GTO?

I know this is a lot to ask and I have found some infor on my own, but I really want answers from current owners.

Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts

edit****

I have an 06 GTO and I have a build date of 2-06. I have well over 1500 miles on it and no problems w/leaking struts. I have also ran into another in my area that has over 5000 miles, build date of 2-06 and no leaking struts. Seeing this I believe the problem may not be as widespread as it would seem. I'm not saying that it can't happen but I know of one with 5000 miles and no leaky struts. There hasn't been a recall so I would assume( please, I said ASSUME ) that the problem is not as bad as one would think when they read the posts on different forums. The worst problem I had was trash under the clearcoat. I have to have the bumper, hood and top of the car completely repainted.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just recently bought my goat. Only thing id say on the negitive side is the paint issue. Some of us have some peeling paint issues but all dealers know about it and will fix it no problem. Just have to wait for them to paint like im currently doing. And about ur ECU question there are some programers but if ur intersted in max HP go with a dyno tune without a dout.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few more questions...

1. What is the largest functional tire size I could get away with on the GTO? (245/35 front 275/30 rear?)

6. Has anyone purchase wheels from Wheelmax? Are they any good? Are they forged or cast alluminum? How come tire rack only has 3 wheels available for the GTO? Where is the best place to get wheels for the GTO?

I know this is a lot to ask and I have found some infor on my own, but I really want answers from current owners.

Thanks
Ok. We just got completely OFF-TOPIC! Can someone please address my questions?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ok. We just got completely OFF-TOPIC! Can someone please address my questions?
Well, if you insist, I'll adress your questions:

I don't know

I don't know

I don't know

I don't know

I don't know

Nope

Gerry

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I don't know about anyone else... but I like my GTO just the way it is.

Anything you add to it is an added bonus.

Get the car for God's sake, and mod it out as you go. You may find half of what you want to add to it before you buy it may never end up on it because you may feel like I do, or feel most of what you want won't make much of a difference anyway.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think what you need to hear is you don't need anything. If you want to do it yourself buy a mustang, it needs a lot of work.:lol:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have an 06 GTO and I have a build date of 2-06. I have well over 1500 miles on it and no problems w/leaking struts. I have also ran into another in my area that has over 5000 miles, build date of 2-06 and no leaking struts. Seeing this I believe the problem may not be as widespread as it would seem. I'm not saying that it can't happen but I know of one with 5000 miles and no leaky struts. There hasn't been a recall so I would assume( please, I said ASSUME ) that the problem is not as bad as one would think when they read the posts on different forums. The worst problem I had was trash under the clearcoat. I have to have the bumper, hood and top of the car completely repainted.

I have no leak yet, but I check everyday. My build date is 2/06 as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.