Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going on a trip in March and I'm considering a GPS for local weather, routes, points of interest, food, fuel. etc. I don't want to spend more than around $150. Can I get all those features for that and do I need a service provider. I have Sprint/Nextel for my phone. I didn't see anything on their website indicating I could get any of those services from them.
What do you guys have, what would you recommend and what service, if needed ??
Thanks....:cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Rick. That is one of the 3 I was considering at buydig. I just didn't know if I needed a provider for all the info. I can live without the weather.....it is what it is, right ?
I'll have check out Tiger. Free shipping from them. I just bought this computer there a month ago.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Weather and traffic are the 2 subscriptions services some higher end units can support. Some also provide cell phone blue tooth connections, and mp3/iPod connections. Some also feed sound through your radio. Your budget dictates a lower end unit. That said, most, maybe all, lower end units will not allow you to program a route with multiple stops or "way-points". They are designed to simply take you to one place, from where you are at the time you activate. They generally allow you to preset "favorites" which is where you could store the various points of interest or destinations your plan. But you will not be able to "chain" destinations for a complete route.

Personally, I like to plan my complete route in advance. Recently I planned a 10 day trip from LA to Colorado and back, with daily destinations. I routed us along much of Route 66 through AZ, through the Indian reservations and 4 corners in AZ to Durango, then to Aspen, over Independence pass to Breckenridge. I was able to plan this all on my computer and then download the way-points, and daily routes from my computer to my GPS. I love that facility. All this ability, including the PC software and maps on a GPS in the $300 range (ebay price). And you can still do the regular stuff on the GPS without the need to download. This is just a great capability not common on most GPS systems. By the way: I have a Garmin Street Pilot model of GPS. I actually have an old model 2610 (have had it for 6 years now and it does all i just said), and a never 7200 model which has a 7" screen and can also play DVDs. No weather, no traffic. Hope this helps.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks, Hal. So the 255W has a SD card slot. If I bought a card for a few bucks, can I download my route onto the card and have it read out similar to what you did with your computer ?
The reason I don't want to spend a bunch is, I don't see me using this except for trips every 2-3 years. Spending more for something seldom used is just taking funding away from the GTO.....:willy:

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Mitch

I have a Garmin Nuvi 255W, it does just about everything. Best Buy has it on sale for $159 this week.

Garmin - nüvi 255W GPS - NUVI 255W

I don't have a subscription to anything. The only thing you mentioned that I can't get is local weather.

Rick
We have the 255w by Garmin too, it works awesome! haven't use the SD card slot yet, but the GPS works great.

·
Registered
489 Posts
food for thought...

my phone has navigation built in (ATT navigator), i'm guessing your sprint phone has something similar. Seems to work fine for everything I've wanted it for. Only thing is you need to keep the phone connected to the cigarette lighter, otherwise your battery will be dead in about a half hour. I'm also on a company phone, so i dont' pay for the service, not sure what it would cost you.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
food for thought...

my phone has navigation built in (ATT navigator), i'm guessing your sprint phone has something similar. Seems to work fine for everything I've wanted it for. Only thing is you need to keep the phone connected to the cigarette lighter, otherwise your battery will be dead in about a half hour. I'm also on a company phone, so i dont' pay for the service, not sure what it would cost you.
My Nextel phone is a Motorola i530. It's pretty much a dinosaur now (like the owner) and has very little for modern features. I'll check into it, tho...thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Don't buy a TomTom. They are cheasy in every way. Power plug doesn't stay in, mount is crap, and menu system isn't very user friendly.

I used my dads Garmen (low end version just like mine) and everything about it from feel to user friendlyness was better.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Don't buy a TomTom. They are cheasy in every way. Power plug doesn't stay in, mount is crap, and menu system isn't very user friendly.

I used my dads Garmen (low end version just like mine) and everything about it from feel to user friendlyness was better.
NO problems with my Tom Tom works great.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I'm way old here as far as the technology is concerned. I grab an atlas and a pad of paper and plan my trips.

That said I also manage a fleet of trucks. The drive the state of Florida and into Georgia and South Carolina. 2 drivers have Tom Tom's and like them. One driver uses his AT&T navigaton from his phone. That leaves 13 drivers and all but 2 have Garmin 255's.

The two that don't have a nav are in their late 50's and mid 60's and have been driving trucks in Florida for 25 plus years. They have a nav system in their head.

I'd have to say that the Garmin was easy to use and worked well when i road with drivers that had those.

I can't give a revue of the Tom Tom.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm way old here as far as the technology is concerned. I grab an atlas and a pad of paper and plan my trips.

That said I also manage a fleet of trucks. The drive the state of Florida and into Georgia and South Carolina. 2 drivers have Tom Tom's and like them. One driver uses his AT&T navigaton from his phone. That leaves 13 drivers and all but 2 have Garmin 255's.

The two that don't have a nav are in their late 50's and mid 60's and have been driving trucks in Florida for 25 plus years. They have a nav system in their head.

I'd have to say that the Garmin was easy to use and worked well when i road with drivers that had those.

I can't give a revue of the Tom Tom.
:lol:"The two that don't have a nav are in their late 50's and have been driving trucks for 25 plus years. They have a nav system in their head." :lol:

That's exactly why I don't see using this much beyond our vacation. I've been a driver for 39 years and spent 17 traveling the Midwest in my Pete and KW.
I'm probably going to get the 255W by all the reviews and references here and on a Camaro board I asked on too. I appreciate all the replies....:seeya:

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
2 Things I really want to sit and watch......

1. Give a young kid an old fashioned road map and watch them try and navigate it.

2. Put a young kid behind the wheel of a stick shift on the column.

Here kid... drive this truck and follow this map.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I just bought the Garmin Nuvi 265WT...it has everything the 255W has PLUS lifetime traffic free (at the cost of some ads but they are NOT intrusive or really annoying)...I found it recertified from Newegg.com for $129.99 plus $1.99 shipping...got it in three days from ordering...it came with full warranty, in the Garmin box with all the stuff and it appears to be brand new...
I have not gone online and downloaded the newest maps or the lifetime traffic as yet but it is as nice as my buddy's 255W with the extras...plus Bluetooth although I had read it isn't the highest quality Bluetooth...it was a special 24 hour deal on the price last week but they run these over and over...

Bill

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 Things I really want to sit and watch......

1. Give a young kid an old fashioned road map and watch them try and navigate it.

2. Put a young kid behind the wheel of a stick shift on the column.

Here kid... drive this truck and follow this map.
On the column would be considered cruel and unusual punishment in this day.......just seeing a 3rd pedal makes most wonder what it's for. A map, what's that ? Where's the the joystick and buttons ?? :rofl:

I just bought the Garmin Nuvi 265WT...it has everything the 255W has PLUS lifetime traffic free (at the cost of some ads but they are NOT intrusive or really annoying)...I found it recertified from Newegg.com for $129.99 plus $1.99 shipping...got it in three days from ordering...it came with full warranty, in the Garmin box with all the stuff and it appears to be brand new...
I have not gone online and downloaded the newest maps or the lifetime traffic as yet but it is as nice as my buddy's 255W with the extras...plus Bluetooth although I had read it isn't the highest quality Bluetooth...it was a special 24 hour deal on the price last week but they run these over and over...

Bill
OH sure, now ya tell me...;)....I ordered the 255W from Buydig last night. Tiger wouldn't match the price....:confused I did buy an SD card too so I can go to Garmins site and download the latest maps to it. :)
Thanks, everyone, for all the info......:cheers

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well that was short lived. I got an email confirmation of my order with Buydig and they require a signature on delivery. I called to have that waived as I HATE screwing around with that. They can't waive the sig, so I canceled the order. I will wait for my funds to re-appear in my PayPal account and then go to Newegg for the 265W.....:D

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Well that was short lived. I got an email confirmation of my order with Buydig and they require a signature on delivery. I called to have that waived as I HATE screwing around with that. They can't waive the sig, so I canceled the order. I will wait for my funds to re-appear in my PayPal account and then go to Newegg for the 265W.....:D
PayPal ??? What's that??? LOL:rofl:

Do they still make a car that doesn't have AC ???

I remeber a car being called loaded because it had A/C, a stereo, PW and tilt wheel.

Oh well, good luck with the trip and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts