Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys. I'm new here and would like to ask a few questions.
I'm considering a new GTO purchase, and also considering a Mustang GT.
I was raised with old GTO's and really liked them. But in recent years I've been a 'stang fan, currently owning one.
I want to know the pro's and con's to owning a new GTO compared to the new Mustangs. Ride quality, reliability, mileage, etc. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
I intend to make my decision between these two cars sometime during 2006. Personally I prefer the looks of the mustang, but they seem to be having a LOT of quality issues, as well as giving me the impression of being cheaply made. I know that GM can make a very long lasting car. My wife has a '86 TRANS AM that still runs and looks like new. A GTO is what she wants over a 'stang.
So please help me. Sell me on the idea of a GTO over the FORD.

thanks, sorry for being so long.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Hey... aww nevermind big mike's probobly sleeping thats why I beat him
But Hey bro I just wanted to try and tell you a little bit to help you make your decision basically MY opinion is I think you should get a GTO because Ultimately more power. 400 horses of power. It's a sleeper for the dumba$$es out there who don't know what it is they might think its an accord. She pulls like an Ape in heat, ultimately its really up to you I'm saying this because I grew up a GM boy and never had a ford in the family fleet so I won't talk about the mustang

"You Get What You Pay For"
Thats my saying

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,:seeya:
Im also looking at getting a new GTO. I presently own a 03 Evo which is Kick A$$ to drive, but its getting time to move on.
I would like to know how much money it will take to make it as fast are faster then my Evo; Evo runs 12.38 @ 112.52.
There about 7 Evo's here all running in the 12's I want to still be able to hang with them, etc. I told them I will show them no mercy, when I get my GTO.:rofl:

Anyway, I have approximately $8000.00 for upgrades. Do I need to go Supercharge, or heads cams, etc? I also read the drive shaft, and axle stubs are weak, if racing to much. Will I need to go ahead up grade them, as I go to the track every other week?

Thx’s for any help:party:

·
Registered
910 Posts
vetwhat said:
I was raised with old GTO's and really liked them. But in recent years I've been a 'stang fan, currently owning one.
I want to know the pro's and con's to owning a new GTO compared to the new Mustangs. Ride quality, reliability, mileage, etc. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
I intend to make my decision between these two cars sometime during 2006. Personally I prefer the looks of the mustang, but they seem to be having a LOT of quality issues, as well as giving me the impression of being cheaply made. I know that GM can make a very long lasting car. My wife has a '86 TRANS AM that still runs and looks like new. A GTO is what she wants over a 'stang.
You're comparing apples to oranges. The Stang and the GTO are in separate classes as far as I'm concerned anyway. The Mustang has a smaller engine with less HP and torque. The 2 are no where's near each other when it comes to performance & handling. Although I think the Stang is a little more user friendly, the GTO has other areas that are insurpassable. The mileage on the LS2 varies with the driver, but whoever bought a performance vehicle with mileage in mind..? Ya definatey get more bang for your buck with the GTO..........it's a no brainer.
PS.. The GTO does not come with Satellite ready radio. But that never stopped a motor head from buying a really fast car out of the factory.If your opting for an '06....take a look at the new colors they came out with . Brazen orange and a new Red also.

·
Registered
910 Posts
tx evo said:
Hello,:seeya:
Im also looking at getting a new GTO. I presently own a 03 Evo which is Kick A$$ to drive, but its getting time to move on.
I would like to know how much money it will take to make it as fast are faster then my Evo; Evo runs 12.38 @ 112.52.
There about 7 Evo's here all running in the 12's I want to still be able to hang with them, etc. I told them I will so them no mercy, when I get my GTO.:rofl:

Anyway, I have approximately $8000.00 for upgrades. Do I need to go Supercharge, or heads cams, etc? I also read the drive shaft, and axle stubs are weak, if racing to much. Will I need to go ahead up grade them, as I go to the track every other week?

Thx’s for any help:party:
Drive train components are a must to upgrade if ya plan on modding that bad boy. Also polyurethane bushings for the rear suspension cradle wont hurt either, will help with the wheel hop issue. It shouldnt be too difficult to put it into the low 12's with heads, cam, Nitto DR's, LT headers and a tune.I'm sure someone else may have more to offer as far as advise. Good luck.......!!!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Welcome to the forum vetwhat and Tx evo.

Yeah a mustang comparison. i get to use my product knowledge. I will go from best to worse
Exterior
~The mustang is a very good looking car from the outside. With the retro look on the GT it gives it a menacing look that few can miss. The Mustang wins with audio however the shaker sound system is very impressive. But the real sound does not come from speakers
~The GTO has a curvacous modern style that many say looks like a cavalier on steriods. With the addition of the LS2 the GTO has agressive dual exhaust and hood scoops. Painted brake calipers add to the aggressiveness(not sure if the Mustang offers this:eek: )

Interior
~The Mustang interior design was obviously an afterthought to the designers. The multiple guage colors are a joke. The back seat is not-existent
~The GTO however gives you the imperssion you are getting into a luxury vehicle. With suede inserts runing the interior kick panel and VERY high quality, high bolstered leather seats for all 4 passengers!!!! There is ample room in the rear to hold two adults anf they have their own air vents.

Handling
~The Mustang has a 1920 technology lugging the vehicle along. At top speeds the car is scary to drive and once traction is lost you must go to a practical stop before starting again.
~The GTO has a fully independent suspension which handles corners suprisingly well considering her girth(The GTO weigh about 400lbs more than the Mustang). The ride is extremely comfortable as a daily driver and very responsive should you feel the need.

Performance
If there is one thing to buy the GTO for its this. There is no comparison(as Johnie said) with the two cars in performance. You need to look at $60,000 cars to match our #'s with a good driver. But the GTO takes some practice to drive well. While the Mustaqng is a put it to the floor and hold on car. The GTO takes subtle throttle control and good clutch work(if a 6 speed) to really come into her own.

Some other points I like to point out is that Ford makes 120,000 Mustange a year. While Holden sent Pontiac merely 12,000(approx) this year. I am sure you have seen mustangs on every corner and many of them are the weak V6 models. To counter act that you have probably seen one, if any, GTO on the street and you KNOW that is a corvette with 4 seats rolling down the road. Also my wife drives my GTO more than I do and she absolutley loves the car and everything about it.

Like Johnnie said, there really is no comparison with the cars. Its not fair to either. Despite the very close price ranges, the GTO is not in the same class.

Hope this helps.

Tx - I suggest solid drive train, 3.91 gears, headers, good tires, and a mild cam. They will be seeing your tail lights in no time. Shoud cost you less than 5k if you buy all right

·
Registered
491 Posts
vetwhat said:

Sounds like you're already getting the GTO:D ...it's what your wife wants.;)

I don't know much about the new Mustang GT, but my brother owns a '02 supercharged GT and he's so impressed with the quality and features of my GTO that he doubts he'll ever go back with a Ford product, unless it's a special edition/legend-series Mustang, but he's even doubting that now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Drive the LS2. That will make your decision clear. Simple as that.

Not to mention the superior "soundness" of the goat. It's one hell of a well built car in my opinion. Interior quality over the stang is quite evident to me.

Either way, good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
johnebgoode said:
You're comparing apples to oranges. The Stang and the GTO are in separate classes as far as I'm concerned anyway. The Mustang has a smaller engine with less HP and torque. The 2 are no where's near each other when it comes to performance & handling. Although I think the Stang is a little more user friendly, the GTO has other areas that are insurpassable. The mileage on the LS2 varies with the driver, but whoever bought a performance vehicle with mileage in mind..? Ya definatey get more bang for your buck with the GTO..........it's a no brainer.
PS.. The GTO does not come with Satellite ready radio. But that never stopped a motor head from buying a really fast car out of the factory.If your opting for an '06....take a look at the new colors they came out with . Brazen orange and a new Red also.
Satellite radio shouldn't even come into play when making such a decision... thats why they invented FM modulators. If you have an FM radio in your car then you can have all the satellite radio you can handle.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Well I've got both cars sitting in the driveway so the comparison is very easy to make. The new Mustang is a GREAT looking car but that's about it. It's noisy, hard riding and has some issues with quality control IMO. The GTO on the other hand is a pure machine (or beast). Solid, fast, quiet and unique. EVERYONE looks at this car because it's so rare. In the 40 years or so that I've been buying and driving automobiles this car has to be the finest one yet........and I've owned 'em all, believe me.:cool

JET

·
Registered
454 Posts
listen to your wife

in a nutshell Mustang=sheep in wolfs clothing
GTO=wolf in sheeps clothing

if you really need a "look at me car" then do what everyone else is doing and get a Mustang but if you do then every time a GTO blows by ,you'll kick your self in the ass
I've owned 3 Fords in my life and every single one was a POS,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I just bought a 2004 gto a few days ago, and I am most impressed with the car. When I was researching it online a week ago, I came upon a British TV program (Top Gear) that compared the Vauxhall Monaro (the UK version of the GTO) to the new Chrysler 300 Hemi and the Jaguar S-Type sedan. This in itself is praise, the other cars are far more expensive. The host Jeremy Clarkson (a notoriously cranky critic of American and Australian cars) went so far as to say the Monaro felt like a 1990's Aston Martin Vantage. As far as GT's go, I could not find any other car in the goat's price range that offers the same performance, luxury, and driving enjoyment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had many muscle cars.From 68 chargers 71 455 GTO's to tons of fox body mustangs to 01 cobras.I was trying to decide between a 03 or 04 cobra and a 05 GTO.I just bought a 05 yellow jacket m6.I got it monday.I have to say this one of the finest cars I have ever owned.This car is very well put together.It is very fast for a all motor car.I would say get the GTO it is 2 to 1 better than a new GT mustang.I have drove both.I have been a ford man for the last 16 years.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had a 03 GT before the Mustang and never have looked back. I too was in the same dilema. Drive both, then pick. I know what you will pick :cool

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've go two Mustang freaks as friends (they're good guys believe it or not) and once they took my Goat for a spin, they :eek: and raved about the smoothness and torque of the GTO.

:agree with them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
we all agree that for pure power the gto is better (especially 05-06) but if you plan to drive the car as much as i do then you'll decide on the more comfortable car which is hands down the gto. i have a basically factory 04 and i know that a 05 gt will out run me but i still would rather drive the gto even if i were given a 05 mustang gt i would still drive my gto more

·
Registered
41 Posts
What!!!!!!!!!!!! There is no way an 05 GT should beat an 04 GTO. I have an 04 m6 completely stock and no "stock" 05 GT is going to beat me and shouldnt beat you either, unless I have a factory freak or something. I have driven a 05 GT and while I think it looks great it rides Like doggie doodie hard and cheesy, and when I was driving I was trying to figure out where the torque was then I realized there was none. When you get in my 04 GTO and flip off the TC and floor it your going sideways hit second your going sideways the other way third your still breaking the wheels you get the oh sh** feeling. The GT You get the so what feeling . So do not be affaid to take on a gt you will be surprised. Oh yea for the other guy listen to your wife you will not be disapointed if the 04 is great the 06 has more balls than that.Oh yea last year there was a video of an 05 gt and an 04 GTO at the track guess who one it was posted on thi site.:cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Before I bought my GTO I test drove the GT Mustang and wasn't impressed at all with there quality and till this day have never owned a Ford.I remember the salesman here in NY telling me there getting $2,000 over sticker.After hearing that and knowing GM was having there red tag sale-I ran and bought my GTO.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.