Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I drive a 97 Pontiac Grand Prix GT... a few mods done to it, and a big jump to come soon (supercharger, ported heads etc) but given that I won't have the time to do all this work and still have a working car. The idea is to garage the Grand Prix and get another car. I've been wanting to get a GTO scince I first saw one at the dealership, so I'm looking at them now.

I would just like to ask you guys (and gals) a few questions. I've got my eye on a 04 GTO, Impulse blue, blue/black leather interior, 6 speed for $25k. I've read here that the price listed may be a little too high? The GTO is used and has around 8k miles on it. Also, whats the insurance like for a goat?

I'll probably have a few more questions later on, and everything so far is just preliminary research, getting an idea on mods and the like.

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think that unless you are planning to do some mods on the 04, you will be disappointed that you did not get the 05, the bigger engine makes a huge difference. I did have a 05 GT mustang which was a little faster than the 04, and it was less money.

·
Registered
195 Posts
25k sounds like a ripoff for a goat w/ 8k on the odometer. Left over (but new) 2004's are going for less than that. However six speed 2004's are tough to find anymore new.

Overall it's a great car. I just bought my 2004 three weeks ago and I love it. Great bang for the buck.

Not to nitpick, but why mod the GP if you're getting a GTO?? I would assume the GTO would be a better starting point in the performance/speed department.. :confused

·
Registered
36 Posts
bemeyer said:
25k sounds like a ripoff for a goat w/ 8k on the odometer. Left over (but new) 2004's are going for less than that. However six speed 2004's are tough to find anymore new.

Overall it's a great car. I just bought my 2004 three weeks ago and I love it. Great bang for the buck.

Not to nitpick, but why mod the GP if you're getting a GTO?? I would assume the GTO would be a better starting point in the performance/speed department.. :confused
I sold my GT to get my GTO, my point exactly, why buy a GT mod it and void the warranty just to be as fast as the GTO, when I could buy the GTO and be as fast or faster than a modded GT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna mod the GT becuase I already have a set of custom polished and ported heads ($800), a CSC kit (Paxton Novi supercharger, $2900), along with about $3000 invested into other mods... that and I love it enough to hold onto it. The whole idea behind getting the GTO is to give me a car for daily use, allow me to have the GT in a shop for extended periods of time (needs a lot of work done) and I can do minimal mods to the goat (like exhaust, induction, ECU etc) just keeping it to the basics.

Then when the GT is done, move over to the goat and see what I can do for that. Yes, it is a little bit more expensive to do, but in the end i'll have two fun cars. But then again, this is all still preliminary research so nothing is set in stone.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to go test drive that goat and see if I can bargain the guy down a bit.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Makes sense Elmo. Sounds like you'll have one fast Gran Prix!

You should really be able to talk this guy down. I would think no more than $21 seems like a logical price for a lightly used 2004. Be careful, once you drive it you will not be able to say NO ;)

I think my insurance is ~58/mo or so with $500 ded. Not bad considering when I bought my 96 Formula and was only 23 my ins was $185/mo with $1000 ded :eek:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would have loved to be able to have kept both cars, but I could not have afforded it.

One other thing I am sorry for the confusion, when I said that I sold the GT I meant the Mustang GT. I am new around here and was not aware that GT could also mean Grand Prix, new to Pontiac and I love them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Elmo said:
I would just like to ask you guys (and gals) a few questions. I've got my eye on a 04 GTO, Impulse blue, blue/black leather interior, 6 speed for $25k. I've read here that the price listed may be a little too high? The GTO is used and has around 8k miles on it. Also, whats the insurance like for a goat?

I'll probably have a few more questions later on, and everything so far is just preliminary research, getting an idea on mods and the like.

Thanks.
$25k is the average asking price for an 04 GTO with low miles.
You can go to this link and find out what a car is worth. http://www.nadaguides.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Elmo said:
... I would just like to ask you guys (and gals) a few questions. I've got my eye on a 04 GTO, Impulse blue, blue/black leather interior, 6 speed for $25k. I've read here that the price listed may be a little too high? The GTO is used and has around 8k miles on it. Also, whats the insurance like for a goat?

Thanks.
This sounds like your describing my car exactly - right down to the 8k mileage (but mine ain't for sale :) ) I find it hard to imagine you're gonna wanna keep your GP after driving a GTO, but, hey, it's your $. I highly recommend this car. The only problem I've had with it is it's a bit hesitant in the 1st to 2nd shift when the tranny's still cold. "Problem" goes away as soon as it's warmed up. I'm gonna complain about it just so I get it on the record while it's fully warrantied, but it's just not worth messing with right now. Otherwise this has been the finest wheels I've ever had the pleasure of owning. To me my car is certainly worth more that $25k, but then I'm hardly unbiased. Let the market decide what you can find one for - there might be one out there on the market for less. Don't let it pass you by though - & sell the GP if you gotta! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.