Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a used GTO as a daily driver (my hyundai died, and my Vette is the garage queen) , however i'm worried about what it would be like to drive this car in the ice/snow.

I have a 70 mile round trip commute to work each day on the Garden State Parkway, and worry that I might find myself doing donuts or end up in a ravine if driving a 350hp car in the snow/ice.

The other car i considered was is a Cobalt SS, which gets about the same highway mileage, but has FWD and is probably a little more managable in NE winter weather.

What has been your experience driving your car in adverse conditions? Do winter tires help at all?

I love my vette and see the GTO as a panacea to everything thats wrong w/ vette as a daily driver. The GTO is relatively quiet on the highway as opposed to my vette equip w/ an aftermarket droning exhaust. Secondly, the Vette w/ it's Z51 suspension, and aftermarket rims/tires...i feel every piece of gum in the road. The ride in the GTO seemed much more luxurious, while still maintaining the sportiness i'm accustomed to.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haven't gone through the winter yet in my GTO. But based on many other cars I've owned, snow tires make a normal 2WD car feel like an AWD car (if the AWD car had normal tires). In other words, I have no reservations about the GTO this winter (I live in Chicago)if I have some snow tires on it.

I've handled winters (with snow tires) in both a RX-7 and a Civic Si and had no problems.

The added weight of the GTO will only serve to help matters.

I wish the general public knew how amazing snow tires are and the profound difference they make. In my Civic I would always pull away from stoplights with MUCH less drama (and more acceleration) than all kinds of SUVs (they had all season tires).

Bottom line, get the snow tires, you'll love them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with the above. Tires tires tires make all the difference!!!!!
The OEM rubber is too all-season to be summer-time grippy and to sporty to be winter-time functional. Definately get a GTO and just plan on two sets of wheels/tires. You will be VERY HAPPY with your new luxury daily driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tom said:
blizzak LM-22s 225 wide on a set of bmw M3 rims, and no problem this winter on LI. almost stuck once, but it came out with a very gentle rock.
I thought BMW rims had a different offset and couldn't be used unless the wheel wells were rolled. Not true? Can you use any BMW wheels?

I too am interested in the GTO and would need to drive it in Wisconsin winters. A friend had a 3 series w/winter tires and it handled great, that isn't the issue. I am just looking to get a deal on the winter tires/wheels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.