Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting a 04 A4 (M6 possibly) as a general purpose vehicle (trading a Maxima I have). I already have an 02 Z06 so I'm not as concerned with max performance (i.e. 05 model) but with having a generally useful daily driver. As I see it:
Pros: A well made vehicle, Excellent power, good handling, & good price
Cons: Small trunk, & poor gas mileage.

I love my Z06 too much to get rid of it, though I am attracted to the GTO. I am trying to decide if I can justify the GTO realistically as a DD.

I guess I'm asking for feedback from DD owners about their cars, particularly A4 owners (I love to shift but have the Z06).
Do you think the GTO is practical as a primary vehicle, considering the cons, or should it be strictly a second car?
Any thought or input would be appreciated.

John

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have a two year old daughter. my wife has an aurora. there is a baby seat in the back of my gto, and it as good a daily driver as my legend coupe was. the only complaint is the time it takes to slide the passenger seat forward, and the small trunk. but since the trunk is the same size as a pizza box it is the perfect car to pick up dinner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I own a bakery distribution company, but alot of times, I have to run sheet cakes, special orders, 3 dz. of this or fill in that orders to my customers, that the drivers can't deliver. The GTO is a perfect high speed delivery device for that!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Anyone take any long trips in their GTO? Specifically, how did you handle the luggage.

John

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I drive to and from work, a 240 mile round trip, every single day....it's a great daily car.

Vitals from the other morning's commute to work ...blasting from my home at nearly sea-level in Bakersfield, over a 4200' pass in the Tehachapi mountains on the I-5, then working through morning rush-hour traffic from Valencia south and on through LA freeways to Glendale:

Trip: 119.22 miles
Time: 1 hour 31 minutes
Avg Speed: 76.8 mph
Avg MPG: 19.9 mpg

The wife and I took a day trip the other day-- the Goat was so nice for the trip that now she wants one. The trunk is small, but there is plenty of room for duffel-bag / soft-side type luggage for four...but then again I used to work for a commuter airline many moons ago and thus am quite adept at efficiciently cramming luggage in compartments... :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did it. I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Red GTO. The car is immaculate and has 4500 miles. End cost was 21K. I could have gotten a better deal on another red A4 but it was not nearly as cherry as this one.
I guess I am starting a collection: I have an LS1 and an LS6 now I need an LS2 and LS7 (not likely unless I win the lottery).
I guess I'll tint the windows and probably put a trailer hitch on it (for a bicycle rack). I also need to figure out how to mount the Sirius Sportster and add a couple of extra power plugs (Sirius, GPS, and cell phone charger). Oh well, I guess the Z06 will be lonely for a while.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Congrats!

-- There's a good post on installing additional power ports elsewhere here.

-- Get a good coat of wax on it. Might want to polish it first, then apply a glaze.

-- Bright red?!?! Get some polished 18s on it, man!

-- Read the owner's manual. There are an awful lot of features that this car has that don't jump right out at you.

-- Not a big fan of tinted windows -- but as for the trailer hitch, look into getting the Australian version of it from Holden. It is a verrrry cool unit -- and there's a little panel that pops into place when you aren't using it. Looks a heck of a lot better than the old ball hanging off the back.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
-- Not a big fan of tinted windows -- but as for the trailer hitch, look into getting the Australian version of it from Holden. It is a verrrry cool unit -- and there's a little panel that pops into place when you aren't using it. Looks a heck of a lot better than the old ball hanging off the back.
Enjoy.

The Holden unit sounds interesting. Do you order it from their web site?(Holden.com?) I read a link here about an aftermarket one that looked ok.
Power plugs a definate upgrade. I plan to keep this car pretty much stock as it will be transportation. Tinting is quite beneficial here on the AL Gulf Coast in the summer.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.