Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short, I had a good friend that was a contractor and he was supposed to do some work for me. He took $6000., did about $500. in work and never showed up to complete the job. Then he laughed when I asked him to give me the rest back. The whole story and his smiling face is now listed at -

http://www.bewarehomeandgarden.com/

I'd appreciate it if you can pass this to other boards that your on. Just take the info and run! I really want to spread the word here! Alot of the New England sites are going to be getting this info along with some of the local media. It's time for him to pay the piper... one way or another!

Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sorry to hear about all of that, this guy sounds like a real peice of work. I've used good contractors and bad, but nothing like this guy.

Good luck and let us know what happens,

Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
You made no mention of a signed contract. I am assuming you have one. If ya don't, get yourself a big jar of spincheter grease, cause it will help the whole bad experience penetrate you easier. The judge will want to see the contract.
Take him to Judge Judy.

Why not send him a bill for 10,000 dollars for your time, etc for getting his truck? Use this as leverage to get your money back as well.

This is a perfect example of whey you don't go in business with a buddy, lend a buddy money, or take a hired buddy's word at face value. Many people are married to the dollar sign first, relationships second.

Good Luck. Nice touch on the website, becareful he don't sue you for defemation.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup... no signed contract. The attorney that I talked to said the canceled check would be enough. I really wanted to have him arrested but no luck there yet. The police said that it would have gone after him if he didn't do any work at all. Seeing that he showed up, that made it look like he tried and didn't complete the job.

·
Registered
321 Posts

This is a perfect example of whey you don't go in business with a buddy, lend a buddy money, or take a hired buddy's word at face value. Many people are married to the dollar sign first, relationships second.

:agree :agree :agree
Bingo, GTO judge. If they are such "good" friends, then they shouldn't mind signing a contract. If they refuse, don't do business with them. It's sad but the same often holds true for family members. Last year my wife's uncle asked to borrow some money from us. It wasn't enough to break the bank, but it was a large enough sum (several thousand dollars) where I told him he would have to sign a written agreement specifying the amount borrowed, the total amount to be paid back, and the date for it to be paid back in full. He refused. So did I. My wife gave me hell about it, until we found out later that he had stiffed some of his other siblings and his ex-wife's family on these 'personal loans'. Unfortunately, when it comes to money, friends and family will f**k you over faster than any stranger.
Good luck, tbyrne, I hope you get your money back.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Yup... no signed contract. The attorney that I talked to said the canceled check would be enough. I really wanted to have him arrested but no luck there yet. The police said that it would have gone after him if he didn't do any work at all. Seeing that he showed up, that made it look like he tried and didn't complete the job.
Man I hope your lawyer's sure for your sake. If there is no signed contract for a judge to view, for all a judge knows it was money given to him for whatever. I am not a lawyer but this money could be for anything. He could say the money was a gift. This is a really sticky situation. I mean he could say he did for you what he was already compensated for. If he counters you for defamation on account of the site you made, and you lose, man you could end up owing him a ton $ more. Your lawyer know about that site? If not, I'd run it by him.

I hope you prevail.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience and hope you're able to recover your money. This is 'closing the barn door after the cow is out' advice, of course, but useful to any who would give "up-front" money to a contractor. I've been in the building-general contracting business for more than thirty years and my policy is to never accept money until the project is completed to the customer's satisfaction. Remember this about dealing with contractors of any sort: if they can't afford to do the work with their own money, they aren't financially capable of undertaking your job and that translates to financial problems which they'll try to solve with your money. NEVER give a contractor a dime until the job is completed. For any reason.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much for the replies and comments!

Thanks for the advice!

Looks like I just scored another e-mail address for him -

[email protected]

I replied to one of the ads that he has posted on Craigslist -

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q="781-710-3850"

Of course, that was done under a different e-mail account. I told him that I had some rooms that needed to be painted and asked if he was interested. He replied yes and asked if I have a contact number. I'm so tempted to reply with something like "Hey, I just found a website that lists your company and says that you screwed the guy". I won't give him the website address then so that will get him all flustered!

Anyone else want to e-mail him through Craigslist? :)

The collections agency will be sending him a letter and starting their calls next week.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Never mix business with friendship. You want a contracter who always has too much work. If he has no credit to buy materials, then run away.:willy:

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is true. Or a balance, just enough work to not be to busy to do your job.

I spoke with the collection agency while on my way home today. They said Jon called about 2 weeks ago. He was furious when he read the FINAL NOTICE. I guess he didn't like how it was worded. He called back today and told them that he refuses to settle and won't be paying any money. He also "said" that he filed a police report because of the notice. That's kind of strange! He told them that he just wants this to goto court.

Seems like a good way to brush the collections people off before they start hounding him. The next step will be to file this in court.

I also filed a report at http://www.ripoffreport.com/. Hopefully it gets featured over there.

Keep spreading the word about the site!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
When we built our house landscaping contractors would show up on site and ask to bid on the job. We'd hand them a copy of our plans -- along with a qualification sheet that mentioned we would check their license number with the State of California, call their insurance company to make sure their policy was legitimate, etc. Out of the 10 or so guys who showed up, only 1 came back. That ought to tell you something.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Update! The newspaper in the contractor's home town did a story on this (www.auburnnews.net). It came out on the front page yesterday so I took a ride up to Auburn and bought a total of 22 papers. A few for myself, my attorney wants one and then some select people will be getting a copy too. Actually, I think I paid for about 26. I ended up telling the story in each store that I went into and I even a bought a few papers for some of the customers too! Some of the article was incorrect. First the spelling of my name. It also says that I asked Jon if he would do the work. He kept asking me if I was going to have him do it. I like how he said I just called him out of the blue and said that I didn't want him doing the work anymore. He says the reason is because I couldn't get a discount on the materials. It's interesting to see how he keeps twisting the story. I've found that he has disconnected both of his business phone numbers. He says in the paper that people have been harrassing him and his wife.

I'm going to have the article typed up and post it on the site if the paper doesn't mind. One of the cashiers said that someone else came in and bought a bunch of copies. I guess he'll be a famous guy in town!

www.bewarehomeandgarden.com

·
Registered
111 Posts
That too bad you have to go through all this trouble…

I agree with Judge though… Making business arrangement with family and friends is often precarious… Can’t count how many times I have heard the story about renting a house out to a family member or a friend… And then favors start in like letting rent slide and/or doing things to the house that you may not approve of… What action can you take without severing the relationship you have with them? And then everyone else in the family thinks you’re the bad guy for throwing cousin Joe-blow out of the house…

Not to say you shouldn’t trust friends or family but the character of these friends should come to mind before even considering any kind of business arrangement.. Are they accountable and responsible for everything their life… Or do they bitch about being screwed all the time here and there… You know the type, everybody is unfair… I lost my job because the boss was an A-hole… Has as many enemies as friends…

For that kind of money there should’ve been a contract with specifics and specifications of what work is to be done… Payments to be made at certain stages of completion… But I understand it’s hard when it comes to a friend…

Just 2 weeks ago a friend is a door/window salesman and offered to get me a front door at a discount price… Great guy but I opted to go to the Home Depot just because of this kind of stuff… Besides, it was still a little cheaper there…

Also, there are things homeowners should be aware of too… if you hire someone that is not licensed and bonded you assume any risk… this includes if the person you hire gets injured while working for you… Hate to say it but you might be liable for injuries… Better just to open the Yellow Pages and get a licensed and bonded contractor…

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A few people have e-mailed to see how the saga is doing. I try to keep the website up to date. The only thing I need to add to that is info from my BBB complaint. He confirmed that he offered me $3k in the past but I didn't think it was enough. He says that he has withdrawn that offer because of what I've been doing to get my $ and warning others about him. He's come across some of the posts on the net and named them in his rebuttal :)

The Auburn News ran a story about how he took $ from his neighbor and didn't complete her job. The Webster news ran the same story and I currently have an ad in the Auburn news advising people to check out the site before they hire someone to do work for them so I think enough people are finding out what's happening. I've also "heard" that all of the neighbors that live around him know what he's been doing. I'm surprized he even leaves the house now. There are two stores that I goto in that town. The people there know who I am and what is going on :)

There should be another newspaper article about this soon. He should be happy that I am making him famous!

www.bewarehomeandgarden.com

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Sorry to hear what this "friend" did to you and others. I love what you are doing to him. Probably your greatest comfort should be that this guy is a loser. He has no skills, he's ruined his business reputation, he's constantly screwing customers to get next week's grocery money which means he's basically insolvent. I would imagine his wife will eventually tire of his ethics and her current status in the community and divorce him. He's probably very popular at family gatherings. And, eventually, this guy looks like a good candidate for alchoholism or drug addiction. It's pretty sad really.

Life will punish this guy in ways we can't even think of!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts