Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Well, I've always been one of those people that say the GTO will come back in '08, but, after hearing this I'm not so sure. From what he is saying, GM is "looking" to replace the GTO with something else after 2006, I have a feeling it's going to be another F-body. GTPPrix, you said "not true" on the other thread, this is almost straight from the horses mouth, if you know something we don't, by all means please share.
https://clacc.gmadmanager2004.com/am/Media_Review.asp?b=0&did=1023905&mlp=36241

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnebgoode said:
Service manager at my Dealership told me this in January. I beleived him. Didnt want to get into a pissin' match with anyone so I kept it to myself.
I understand, hell of it is, I try to keep my hopes up but I had a feeling this was coming...... I'm just glad we still have the rarist GTO (from the 04-06 line) produced.... It's truely a sad day for fellow GTO owners.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Very informative, and reiterates what I think most of us knew, even if we didn't want to believe it.

As much as I like my GTO, the earth, moon, and stars do not revolve around it. I would bet a dollar to donut that GM, Ford, Chrysler, and other foreign makes will be making some type of RWD performance car.

For those that have a GTO, or will be buying an '06, kudos and enjoy what you have.

For those still waiting in the wings, I don't know whether this news will make them want a GTO more, or less.

My guess is that when we go to sell, and provided gas is still available, these cars will end up holding their value fairly well. I hope so.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
purplehaze said:
on a lighter note.... what the hell does that little worm in the video know
Typical GMNA marketing person. White JC Penney shirt, khaki Dockers slacks, POS tie that may very well be a clip-on. "Go team! Let's not make waves! GM's Number One!"

That guy couldn't sell me a beer at a football game -- and couldn't sell "the best performance value" to the public. Best of all, he justifies this failure by saying it set up the launch of the Solstice.

The guy ought to be fired.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"due to federal regulatory standards..." (video) Give me a break.
GM said when they brought the Holden/GTO out in 2004 that they would only offer the car for three model years. When sales didn't come close to the 18,000/year that they had projected, the deal was done.

You guys (most of you anyway) now have a semi-collectors item along the lines of the Impala SS. Hang on to them; in 20 years they'll be worth something.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I hate a to be the pessimist but look at the track record of all other high performance vehicles GM produced. I cant recall one, even limited production ones that held there value real well. This vehicle would have to be held on to a very very long time to have any kind value. If things do not shape up for pontiac there might not even be a pontiac in 08/09. :confused I would guess the value of my goat to be around $12k in 09 who knows maybe less.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The site isn't loading but I'm somewhat glad our cars have been discontinued. IMO I'm quite glad I don't see that many GTO's roaming the streets as I see Ponies and F-bodies. For every50 or so Ponies I usually see 1 GTO. Brings about a suppressed level of pride within myself knowing I drive such a relatively rare car.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Everyone here will ultimately believe what they want. I'm certainly no car expert, but it appears that given these cars are RWD and high performance they may very well someday be regarded like the Impala SS or Grand Nationals.

I doubt there are many here who bought the car as an investment, but it's always nice to not take it in the shorts the first few years you own a new car. So many things can weigh in on a car's attraction as a used vehicle. Limited production, contemporary styling, good build quality, and of course that LS2 engine would seem to me, to indicate good things for used GTO's.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
lotaguts said:
I hate a to be the pessimist but look at the track record of all other high performance vehicles GM produced. I cant recall one, even limited production ones that held there value real well.
Impala SS has the highest resale value of any GM product, I believe. Could be wrong -- but thought I heard that. The Buick Grand Nationals and the GNX, in particular, have done real well.

None of the F-bodies have done anything -- including all those special editions. Just too many of them -- and they're all basically alike. There were never any special drivetrains (except for the Trans Am Indy Turbo) that would really spike the value for them.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Here's the deal. If GM stops selling RWD drive all together(excluding Corvette), These cars will have better resale. I hope that dosn't happen, but like Ive said before, GM currently has it's head in it's ass. (I DO hate to say that.)
:willy: <GM corperate dicision makers

·
Registered
82 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
Here's the deal. If GM stops selling RWD drive all together(excluding Corvette), These cars will have better resale. I hope that dosn't happen, but like Ive said before, GM currently has it's head in it's ass. (I DO hate to say that.)
:willy: <GM corperate dicision makers
:agree

·
Registered
176 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Well, I've always been one of those people that say the GTO will come back in '08, but, after hearing this I'm not so sure. From what he is saying, GM is "looking" to replace the GTO with something else after 2006, I have a feeling it's going to be another F-body. GTPPrix, you said "not true" on the other thread, this is almost straight from the horses mouth, if you know something we don't, by all means please share.
https://clacc.gmadmanager2004.com/am/Media_Review.asp?b=0&did=1023905&mlp=36241
Well as of the end of the day today the GMX 282 GTO and GMX 285 G8 as well as the GMX 284 Camaro are still all on the books. Until that changes who knows.

·
Registered
305 Posts
PEARL JAM said:
He didn't say there wouldn't be an 08 or 09 GTO.:cool
I agree. We all knew that the model would be discontinued before it came back as next gen.

Either way, I'm hanging on to my '05 in 2009 when my lease is up if there isn't another contender on the market.

Really would rather they didn't bring the Trans Am back in case that's why they're still plugging Pontiac as a 'performance division'. Maybe if it had less body cladding

·
Registered
454 Posts
lotaguts said:
I hate a to be the pessimist but look at the track record of all other high performance vehicles GM produced. I cant recall one, even limited production ones that held there value real well. This vehicle would have to be held on to a very very long time to have any kind value. If things do not shape up for pontiac there might not even be a pontiac in 08/09. :confused I would guess the value of my goat to be around $12k in 09 who knows maybe less.

WHAT?.......I guess you missed the Barrett Jackson auction
I saw a 87 Grand National go for over 33K......I guess that rear wheel high performance GM car held some value

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.