Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
you know what, after looking at that pic again too- it looks like it may be fake- look at the background above the car, the whole center of it looks blurry like it was blended together and that skinny tree looks funny right around where the roof would be on the GTO. I wonder if they were done just to give the idea of what it would look like if you had them do one for you?
Joe

·
Registered
455 Posts
Both of those convertibles threw me for a loop when I saw them. The Caddy one I figured to be an aftermarket job until I read the description. I guess I'm not used to seeing convertible Caddys that aren't the early 60's models.

The GTO one looks weird too. My first reaction was that it was an edited image. I cannot see the other pictures on that linked website right now as the site requires flash and I'm using a nonflash browser right now. I thought it looked edited because of the way the car was exactly from a side angle (easiest to fake, I'd think) and the background looked funny. However, it did look like the top of the windshield curved properly as you would expect on a convertible (which doesn't stop the car from being a real GTO mixed with the convertible Monaro, I suppose.

However I downloaded that pic and enlarged it. The edges of the trees and all the things that would be blocked by the roof of a real GTO do have the same noise along the edges as things that would not be behind the roof area, and the brick that would have been behind the roof shows real brick texture. The top curve of the windshield frame again shows what looks to be appropriate lighting and curving. I'm not very good at looking for fakes in Photoshop, but those details don't look odd to me.

What does look odd, however, is toward the rear of the car, where the rear window could be, there is a bump up (which could be a bad cut of the roof if this were real) but down the side of the car, when enlarged, I see a lot of smearing. The smearing looks suspect to me. It is about 1/3 the width of the door, and all coming down the side from where the rear window would be.

Additionally, there is some odd protrusion on the top of the front window, that I have no clue what it is. It doesn't look right to be part of the windshield, as it curves out there, but not elsewhere. Here is a picture of the slight enlargement with that protrusion--still kinda hard to see:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the direct link, Mike V.

I have to say that black Charger convertible job on the first page following that link is pretty sweet looking. That 300C looks ugly in convertible trim, however, IMO.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Take a close look in the reflection in the rear quarter, too. I can see a vertical line where the cloud reflection doesn't quite match. Clearly a "photo-chop" job. Could be just how they do a proof of concept internally before prototyping. But either way, it's clearly not real.

Nice looking if they ever would have built it, but if it ain't factory, being a unibody, I would not trust it's crash worthiness.

Jim M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.