Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Cooling System how cool can i get it?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  05yjacket 
#1 ·
Alright so here is what im trying to figure out i want to know how cool can i get the engine without messing up the expanding process.. right the cars stock but im about to order 160 t-stat an i want to get the fan settings changed but what idk is how cool can i get i dnt like how hot it gets before the fans kick on i try keeping it lower then 200 i have a dashhawk right now and ever time it goes over 196 i kick the fans on manually using the DH.

So to shorten it up i want to run the engine as cold as i can without messing up normal operations but keeping it under 200 if thats possible ive never done any modding like this before just simple stuff so any idea's or setups any of u have done would be great and i'd like to get this done before summer.
Thanks in advance

forgot to add 05 GTO A4 LS2

#2 ·
Colder is not necessarily better.
The operating temperature for that engine is well over 195F. Running it colder will keep the engine from reaching closed loop operation, resulting in higher emissions, reduced efficiency and can contribute to the creation of sludge due to low oil temps.

There is nothing wrong with operating temperatures in the 200-225 range.

#3 ·
really hmm i kinda figured it would run a little bit lower on the temps... thanks guess i'll just swap the t-stat when i swap the t-stat though should i get the fan settings changed or would it be fine...an honestly i really dnt want it getting any hotter then 220 at max...

#4 ·
"an honestly i really dnt want it getting any hotter then 220 at max..."

Why?

Your engine and the cooling system are designed to run at those temperatures with no problems. At 16psi, the boiling point of a 50/50 water and antifreeze s approximately 265F, so at 220F you are well within the system's design conditions.

I wouldn't be concerned unless I saw operating temps over 240F-250F.

#6 ·
I wouldn't do a 160* stat if I lived where you live. You will be pissed when your heat sucks.

#7 ·
thanx for all the help lmao jpalamar good point but its stored in the winter only pull it out a couple times to check everything...other then that i drive it during the spring summer an fall i take it to car shows an this summer im taking it to the track so ive got a couple of drivetrain parts on my list to take care of just want to keep the engine cool during runs at the track but if u guys really dnt think i need it then i'll just worry about doing AIT for now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.