Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Pretty cool Judge.

I've seen Vettes and of late, many Chargers which are very cool as cop cars.

Miss seeing the old SS Caprices-they had a mean look as well.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
But as if this weren't sneaky enough, some agencies drive the Ford Mustang. This particular high-performance GT V-8 muscle car patrols...
lmaonade - I guess 315 horsepower is "high performance", though it beats the 280 or 290 of the Crown Vic.

Honestly, I thought these were obvious. Not seen any Mustangs here in WI, but Impalas (both previous & current gen), Crown Vics, and Chargers are all you see here. They try to be sneaky by even putting on civilian plates, but they've always got one of those dead giveaways, most especially the lights in the window.

In all seriousness, if it wasn't for police radio, the GTO would be an absolutely fantastic getaway car.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the way back from Saratoga Springs NY and while still in NY, from the 2008 GTOAA convention I noticed a gray Charger with black trim racing towards me in the passing lane. I could just tell it was an unmarked car, as he neared I noticed (thru my rear view mirror) his radar etc on the dash. As he attempts to pass me I see the patch on his right arm, he slows so his rear door is even with my front bumper, he hangs with me a good 15 seconds or so then speeds off at warp speed then disappears. I was doing about 70 in a 65.

The guy was baiting me. They wouldn't do that, would they? :confused

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
On the way back from Saratoga Springs NY and while still in NY, from the 2008 GTOAA convention I noticed a gray Charger with black trim racing towards me in the passing lane. I could just tell it was an unmarked car, as he neared I noticed (thru my rear view mirror) his radar etc on the dash. As he attempts to pass me I see the patch on his right arm, he slows so his rear door is even with my front bumper, he hangs with me a good 15 seconds or so then speeds off at warp speed then disappears. I was doing about 70 in a 65.

The guy was baiting me. They wouldn't do that, would they? :confused
Shoulda followed him. I've never had a cop give me crap for going 90+ when they're leading the way.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shoulda followed him. I've never had a cop give me crap for going 90+ when they're leading the way.
If I would have followed him at the speed he was going I would have been nailed for sure. :rolleyes: You never had a cop give a crap when you do this? You make a habit of this? If a cop didn't give a crap for you following him at 90+ he was en route to an emergency or something. Sooner or later your luck will run out.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Well I don't understand what the beef would be... if they're in front of you speeding, without their lights & siren on, then they're breaking the law and "endangering the safety of others" just as much you are. The dashcam would prove that in court if they got uppity about it. Just because they wear a badge doesn't mean they're above the law, though I'm sure that's the perceived attitude. Leadership by example, if you ask me.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Well I don't understand what the beef would be... if they're in front of you speeding, without their lights & siren on, then they're breaking the law and "endangering the safety of others" just as much you are. The dashcam would prove that in court if they got uppity about it. Just because they wear a badge doesn't mean they're above the law, though I'm sure that's the perceived attitude. Leadership by example, if you ask me.
Speeding is speeding. Breaking the law is breaking the law. Just because someone else is doing it doesn't give you the right to do it, especially if it's a cop.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I guess. I'm not too worried about it, honestly. I'm fully aware of the potential consequences, since I was incredibly irresponsible in my teenage years with speed & power. I didn't buy a GTO to just do the speed limit, and indeed, there is a time and place for fun. I just personally believe that a cop zooming down the interstate (obviously in a low traffic environment) at some blatantly illegal speed is one of them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you are in Colorado for any reason, here is a list of what the local law enforcement people use around here:
Crown Vics (still a few around)
Camaros (still a few around)
Chargers
Expeditions
Trailblazers
Both ford and GM pickups

They can be marked or un-marked.
Dead givaway for the un-marked vehicles: lights in the grille.

I have all but given up on hauling ass but I can usually spot them before getting nailed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts