Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67 has a hard plastic insert that snaps between the drip rail and the roof, which gives the APPEARANCE of caulk, andconceals the cordova top edge. The part is deteriorating and I want to replace it. Is that factory? What's it called, if so?

·
Registered
1,580 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This vinyl top retainer has come up a few times in the past. Lots of info in this old PY post but nothing about finding a suitable replacement.

You nailed it. That's them. Mine are translucent black/ white.

Odd... I knew most of my car was original paint, but if that PIY thread was accurate, then it looks like my cordova top could be the original as well. I wouldnt think that could be possible, but have no experience with thier longevity.

Although, growing up less than 30 minutes from the Six Flags Great Adventure Safari... in an age where more than half the cars on the road had vinyl roofs, you always knew who went to GA, because the monkeys always tore the top off the car.

"On personal vehicles, over 100 vinyl tops were torn off daily and Alan recounts watching cars finish the safari trip with only bare grey metal left on the cars’ roofs"

Car Vehicle Primate Motor vehicle Hood

Vertebrate Mammal Primate Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is some information on the “Flexible Retainer“ that was used with the Cordova Top.

My Unrestored ‘65 GTO Survivor still has it’s perfect fabric and retainer after 57 years.

Ive never heard of a suitable replacement for this item.
Sunglasses Automotive tire Audio equipment Eyewear Helmet
Slope Font Parallel Pattern Rectangle
Font Number Document Paper Circle
Font Material property Pattern Paper product Paper

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Chris,
Thanks for chiming in and as always great info.
I see that the retainer stops short of the forward curvature of the roof, but does it run all the way back and down the sail panel portion of the gutter?
Cheers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You nailed it. That's them. Mine are translucent black/ white.

Odd... I knew most of my car was original paint, but if that PIY thread was accurate, then it looks like my cordova top could be the original as well. I wouldnt think that could be possible, but have no experience with thier longevity.

Although, growing up less than 30 minutes from the Six Flags Great Adventure Safari... in an age where more than half the cars on the road had vinyl roofs, you always knew who went to GA, because the monkeys always tore the top off the car.

"On personal vehicles, over 100 vinyl tops were torn off daily and Alan recounts watching cars finish the safari trip with only bare grey metal left on the cars’ roofs"

View attachment 154695

View attachment 154696
Can't put my finger on it, but I swear I have seen this take place somewhere else other than Six Flags.......

·
Registered
581 Posts
I can't help with a suitable plastic replacement piece, but I used black urethane caulk on my vinyl top 67 [email protected] to conceal the edge of the vinyl and seal the drip rail trim to the drip rail itself. It turned out very well, but takes a lot of patience since urethane caulk is not very forgiving with respect to what it gets on. I laid it in in small layers, smoothing it out each time with a mineral spirit dampened finger tip each time until it was about halfway up the drip rail. The car top was done about 12 years ago, has 15,ooo mile on it, and sits outside in full sun while I'm at work and still looks good. I doubt that it's as nice as the chrome plastic trim, but it's an option.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't help with a suitable plastic replacement piece, but I used black urethane caulk on my vinyl top 67 [email protected] to conceal the edge of the vinyl and seal the drip rail trim to the drip rail itself. It turned out very well, but takes a lot of patience since urethane caulk is not very forgiving with respect to what it gets on. I laid it in in small layers, smoothing it out each time with a mineral spirit dampened finger tip each time until it was about halfway up the drip rail. The car top was done about 12 years ago, has 15,ooo mile on it, and sits outside in full sun while I'm at work and still looks good. I doubt that it's as nice as the chrome plastic trim, but it's an option.
Well, I love you, but I hope I'm out of town if you ever need to remove it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well, I love you, but I hope I'm out of town if you ever need to remove it.
If the vinyl top ever has to come off...the urethane will be a small part of the problem. The vinyl has been glued on with contact adhesive...like they should be. I'm betting it will be the next owners problem or there won't be any gasoline to be had and a propane or electric conversion will be involved as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well I'll be doggone, after 36 years of being the second owner of my 66 time capsule, I never once paid much attention to the vinyl top other than soaking it w/Son of a Gun or Armor All. So, my inquiring mind wanted to see if mine has it and sure enough, it did.. My original vinyl top is mint, so I never plan on taking it off but I did read the PY site comments about these strips and someone was looking into repopping them. I think that was back in 2012. Might want to try to contact/locate that member, if they are still around and see if anything ever became of it. This strip reminds me of the thin "chrome plated" plastic edging that has double sided tape on the backside of it I used for a golf cart a few years ago. I purchased it on ebay. I will look to see if I have any extra and compare it. If you are going for just correct appearance and not so much functionality, you could glue the edge of the vinyl top down HEAVILY and then place this molding over the top?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts