Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a '67 GTO with AC (if that matters) is the under hood heater box a gloss black? Or some degree of semi black?

·
Registered
653 Posts
The Firewall was blacked out as they say, before all the front end components and bolt on parts came together.
While the transition point on the fire wall of black varied greatly Plant to Plant,
some stopped at the Body seam and others went straight across the top of the cowl.
That said you will always see a difference in "GLOSS" between the Firewall & Bolt-On parts, i.e. Air Box. Inner Tubs and such.
To generalize it all one color in not really accurate.
The black-out is a low gloss while the other component since painted separate during the assembly process are more or less Semi to gloss.
Underside of the hood also follows the firewall Black-Out " Degree of gloss.
Take some time and search for True Survivors for reference and you will start to notice the varying gloss under the hoods.
Avoid HIGH GLOSS like so many of the over-restored show queens.
JM2C
CHEERS

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yesterday I sand blasted the air box and it's ready for primer and paint. Today I will pick up some Rustoleum satin black 7777 that is about 70% gloss.

I found the single port actuator on the car was completely trashed. The bellow is dried and crumbled. Now I am wondering the condition of the bellows under the dash. Should I also remove the under-dash heater/air box to check those parts?

The snowball is rolling ......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts