Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recenetly have been test driving and pricing MANY cars...Impala SS, GTO, TBSS3, Jeep SRT-8...However, as these prices seem to climb well into the 30's and sometime over 40, I decided to look at 05 Vettes, and even some old C-5 body 04s. Funny enough they are right around the 35k mark give or take depending on mileage. I wonder why so many people were willing to go 30's on the GTO and never thought about the Vettes?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I paid about 30,000 for my new GTO, a new Vette was about 47,000. I happy with the GTO so far, if I was going to buy used I'd look at a Viper!

Thanx,
Russ

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I would avoid the 05 C6, especially if it was an early model C6. They had a bunch of issues, that through the model year were corrected, but you could be facing some problems. 05's have a weak rear end that is changed for 06. They had a crankshaft keyway failure issue. There were a couple other problems with 05's that were fixed for 06.

My suggestion is look for an 06 or look for an 04 and definately get GM certified or get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
How does the C-5 compare to the C-6 Vettes??
I had an 02 Z06. It was noisy compared to the C6. The C6 is slightly noisier than the GTO, but well within liveable ranges. Remember though the Z06 does without a lot of sound insulation, so that may not hold true for a standard C5. The ride is similar with the C6 handling better than a standard C5 but not as good as a C5 Z06. Fuel economy is better for the C5 but only by about a 1/2 MPG so it's a non issue. The interior fit and finish and styling of the C6 is a worlds difference better than the C5. The exterior styling is a personal thing. I really like the exposed headlight look, but some Corvette purists don't. I will admit it's cool to watch the lights open up from inside, kinda like a beast coming to life on the C5.

The C6 is a definate step ahead of the C5 in all aspects. The big question is, a 2003-2004 C5 is in the low 30's, skip the 05's, an 06 C6 is 40-42 with options or a base like mine is 38. Do you want to spend that much more?

·
Registered
90 Posts
They had a crankshaft keyway failure issue. There were a couple other problems with 05's that were fixed for 06.
Hey Fergy, am curious about your comment, as I never read any such issue on '05 LS2 GTOs, or '06s. Are GTO and C6 engines built at the same plant? And I also wonder if the trannies are built at the same place, since those are definitely different due to front vs rear mounting. Just curious. Thanks.
JC

·
Registered
730 Posts
i didn't buy a vette because i never got the opportunity to test drive one. they said i had to be in the final stage of the buying to be able to test drive one at which time i decided the c6 wasn't for me. my gto i drove on a saturday and took deliver on the following saturday. recently i test drove a c5. if what fergy says is true then i couldn't bear a z06. the c5 i drove was WAY too noisy. all i heard was th rear singing and it felt like being in a stripped drag car without the lope. i will test drive some other vettes of different models and years to see if i like any better. i really want a c4.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Hey Fergy, am curious about your comment, as I never read any such issue on '05 LS2 GTOs, or '06s. Are GTO and C6 engines built at the same plant? And I also wonder if the trannies are built at the same place, since those are definitely different due to front vs rear mounting. Just curious. Thanks.
JC
The crankshaft keyway issue was on early LS2's. The C6 was out in June of 04 well before they started sending LS2's to Australia. They figured out the problem pretty early, if I remember right there was less than 5000 C6's with the problem.

It's the exact same engine. The intake and exhaust are different on the C6. My guess from looking at both setups is that the GTO's exhaust is slightly more effidient and the C6 intake setup is more efficient.

The trannys are the same for the manual, different for the auto. It's the Tremec T-56 M-12. There is an output shaft from the engine to the tranny then an output shaft from the tranny to the rearend. Just different mounting points and external cases. The Auto in the C6 is the 6L80E which is a 6spd. It is geared very low and requires a 2.56 rear axle to match the ratios that the 6spd manual has with a 3.42 rear axle, which is the manual rear axle ratio for the Vette.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I looked at a Vette but I really don't want one unless its an 06 Z06 and I can't afford that just yet.........anyway the ones I drove rode terrible had had low interior quality but for a new Z06 I can overlook these issues(that and the fact that around here a Vette is looked at as a mid life crises car,with mostly retired old guys driving them)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts