Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two guys in a riced out Jackson Racing supercharged Focus just couldn't leave me alone. I tried to save gas and ignore them, but eventually the taunts got to me. Long story short, from a dig, top of 1st was 1 car top of second was 5-6 cars and the top of third was them 2 zip codes back. Didn't give them the chance for a fly-by.
Well a guy in a 300C SRT8 saw the action and came up for a piece of the GTO. We went at a roll from 60 and by a 100 I was starting to pull on him about 1 to 1 1/2 cars. We caught a light, and I was impressed that the 300c kept up with me, and I told him so in a nice way. That was when I found out it was a SRT8. We went at it from the dig and he got me to 60-70 where we evened out and I slowly pulled on him. Those things are faster than I thought.
On the way home I found an 04 GTO, but we never really got beside each other. I noticed a Mustang in my mirror right on my a** so I jumped on it. It was a modded 04 Cobra and we never got a good go at it, but he would have crushed me. Awesome sounding car.
Farther down the road a Riced out Celica GTS tried to run a LS1 Z28. We both crushed the Celica, and I pulled from behind the Z to in front as soon as we cleared the Toy. He gave me a thumbs up before he turned.
Darn little Focus started it all, I had been good and not street raced for about a month and a half. Well it's all outta my system now.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
fergyflyer said:
and the top of third was 2 zip codes back.
And there's your GTO Forum quote of the day! Those Cobras are indeed fast. Thing is you've got all kinds of upside while the supercharged Fords are, for the most part, tapped.

·
Registered
204 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Well a guy in a 300C SRT8 saw the action and came up for a piece of the GTO. We went at a roll from 60 and by a 100 I was starting to pull on him about 1 to 1 1/2 cars. We caught a light, and I was impressed that the 300c kept up with me, and I told him so in a nice way. That was when I found out it was a SRT8. We went at it from the dig and he got me to 60-70 where we evened out and I slowly pulled on him. Those things are faster than I thought.
SRT8 = 425 HP but have dyno'd @ 390 rwhp luckily they are heavy

·
Registered
144 Posts
Its nice to have an empirical match between a GTO and an SRT8. There were those who were magazine racing the two and having the SRT8 destroying the GTO; at least this puts that to bed.

The SRT8 probably is faster than my '04, though. Maybe I ought to do some mods... No! No! Bad Boy! (Hits self on head with rolled up newspaper)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Srt-8

The SRT-8 is a serious car, I'm surprised he hung with you at low speeds I thought it would be the other way around (faster on the highway). I played with one a while back and was downright stunned at their performance, definitely not a car that can be taken at partial throttle.

PR

·
Registered
558 Posts
fergyflyer said:
Well it's all outta my system now.
Seriously, now--that happened all in one drive? I haven't had that many challenges in the five months I've owned my car! Sounds like you live in some bizarro, post-apocolyptic "Road Warrior"-wannabe land.

What's your resting heart rate?

·
Registered
96 Posts
GM Kid said:
Seriously, now--that happened all in one drive? I haven't had that many challenges in the five months I've owned my car! Sounds like you live in some bizarro, post-apocolyptic "Road Warrior"-wannabe land.

:agree

I haven't even seen an SRT-8 of anything in person yet. Maybe I should consider moving to Florida.
Nice runs. :cheers

·
Registered
565 Posts
Florida is loads of fun and it's kind of funny.... If you can see the cop and slow down before you get right to him, they don't come after you. Florida seriously has the saddest group of drivers in the world and the cops are really looking out for all the people that are dodging in and out of traffic at 100 mph.

Two people taking off oddly fast from a light usually isn't too big of a deal for them... especially if they aren't in the mood to spend their upcoming day off at a courtroom because the person is contesting the ticket :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GM Kid said:

Riceeater will know where this was at. I went 441 to 436 to 17/92 and then back. Ran the Focus and the SRT8 on the open stretches of 441 at the Lake county and Orange county lines. Very little traffic and what is there drives fast, 65-70 in a 55 zone. Drove to the Altamont Mall. Came out of the mall and saw the GTO and ran the Cobra kinda, but traffic in the area is a little heavy so we didn't get the chance to go. On the way back somewhere between where 434 crosses 436 and Apopka is where the Celica and the Z28 met their match. People here in Florida drive fast. The average speed on the Florida turnpike between West Palm and Orlando is in the mid to high 80's. Nobody thinks twice about doing a 100 there. On a round trip through there, I'll get passed by 2-3 cars each way that are doing 120 plus. People down here fly low and the cops don't bother you unless you're 100 plus or doing something stupid on the turnpike. 85 plus is where they get you on the interstate. They are more likely to pull over people that are not at the minimum.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Wowo bro lol, I would seriously not have the balls to do any type of racing on 436 in Altamonte's limits... the Altamonte cops are siously stiff, they'll pull you over in a heartbeat :lol:

Anyway yeah Florida is awesome. Almost anyone with a car is willing to run at some time or another, and the cops don't care unless you go too fast, or get reckless doing so. On I-4, the interstate that runs right through Orlando, the cops seriously won't pull you over if you're going 10 mph over, and if you aren't in the downtown area you can go 15 over without them bothering you. On the Turnpike the speed limit is 70. You can easily go down there at 90-95 when there isn't heavy traffic and a cop will just go speeding by you at 120 :lol:

However do realize that for all this crazy and "fun" driving Florida has... do realize your nerves are usually on edge driving here. There are SO MANY stupid drivers that will do things such as turn out in front of you on a right turn while you're heading straight at them at 60 mph. If you realize, we have a combination of people from two of the best states for driving moving here, California and NY. Mix em both together, and it's like leaving a gallon of nitro glycerin in the sun for too long.

·
Registered
937 Posts
RiceEater said:
Wowo bro lol, I would seriously not have the balls to do any type of racing on 436 in Altamonte's limits... the Altamonte cops are siously stiff, they'll pull you over in a heartbeat :lol:

Anyway yeah Florida is awesome. Almost anyone with a car is willing to run at some time or another, and the cops don't care unless you go too fast, or get reckless doing so. On I-4, the interstate that runs right through Orlando, the cops seriously won't pull you over if you're going 10 mph over, and if you aren't in the downtown area you can go 15 over without them bothering you. On the Turnpike the speed limit is 70. You can easily go down there at 90-95 when there isn't heavy traffic and a cop will just go speeding by you at 120 :lol:

However do realize that for all this crazy and "fun" driving Florida has... do realize your nerves are usually on edge driving here. There are SO MANY stupid drivers that will do things such as turn out in front of you on a right turn while you're heading straight at them at 60 mph. If you realize, we have a combination of people from two of the best states for driving moving here, California and NY. Mix em both together, and it's like leaving a gallon of nitro glycerin in the sun for too long.
Half the people in this state have no business with driver licenses. They are a bunch of bumbling idiots, anyone who hasnt drivin down here really cant appreciate it. You literally have to drive a slalom, weaving around mindless soccar moms setting up lunch dates with thier rich friends on thier GD cell phones, old and I mean OLD people aiming thier cars wherever they feel like, no care in the world. Middle aged foreigners who just got thier first drivers license and have no clue how to read traffic signs, or that they dont own the right of way while the key is in the ignition. Seriously, when my son and daughter get old enough to start driving I am going to get an ulcer sitting at home worrying about them. Florida driving is simply insanity on cocaine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Damn, I've been buzzing around on the street with pretty fast cars, 11 second Nova and my vette (high 12s, low 13s) and would go a year and not have that many chances to race, let alone actual races. Then again, I'd always tell the serious challengers that we should go to the track and run them - when the went, we got to chatting and ended up being friendly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts