Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the "cool factor" of the tri power setup, but have always thought multi-carb setups were more hassle than what they are worth. However, I have been keeping my eye open for a deal that may help me pull the trigger.

Generally speaking, are most of you tri power owners happy with the drive-ability and maintenance aspects of the tri power? Makes me wonder, since there seems to be plenty of them for sale!

Also, what type of details should I keep my eyes open for when looking at used tri power setups? I have been seeing the carbs/manifold advertised from about $1,000 to $2,500. What is a fair price for the setup, assuming complete and not requiring a lot of work?

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
Definitely cool, and actually not as much trouble as legend would have you beleive. The key is in having good parts in the carbs. One common problem is the failure of the throttle plates on both end carbs to shut and seal completely, allowing them to pass air and fuel when they shouldn't be making it hard to get the motor to idle right.
"Fair price" is definitely a variable thing, and best left up to the agreement between buyer and seller. If both walk away from the deal happy, then it was fair. Opinions of others don't really matter.

I sold a complete 1964 Tripower setup about 10 years ago on Ebay for $750. It was missing the air cleaner elements and screens, and had a secondary linkage that I fabricated to approximate the original. I cosmetically restored it but never ran it on an engine and had disassembled the carbs only to clean them up. I had no idea how well it ran, or even if it ran, and stated so in my ad. Buyer was very happy.

Bear

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have tripowers on both of my 65 GTO/389 engines and am very pleased with the performance and reliability. If and I emphasize the word IF you have a proper matched set and in good repairable condition you should not have any major difficulties bringing them back to life. I am not a mechanical genius and I have rebuilt these myself. I dealt with CarbKing, he is a good source of PROPER parts and is very helpful. Advantage with tripowers is that for normal driving you are operating on the center 2 barrel carb and with today's fuel prices makes for more economical driving. This changes rapidly when you engage the outboard carbs.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I have the original tripower on my '65 GTO, and that's all that's ever been on the car since 1965. I've owned the car for 30 years.... I rebuilt it once about 25 years ago. No problems. Amazingly low maintenance. the key is, only the middle carb has a choke and idle circuit. The outer carbs are really simple. They are solid units, and less complex than the Q-jet on my '67. I also have a '66 Tripower unit that I've had since the 70's that I run from time to time on various cars.....It can sit on the shelf for years, and I simply blow it off, install it, and it works great. Had it on my '67 for a while...huge performance boost over the Q-jet. Get a good, unbuggered one, and you should be fine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you have any extra one to sell me geeteeoh... :) Good point on maintenance regarding the outer carbs with minimal parts. I guess the old Johnson 90hp on my Lund works just fine year after year with two carbs!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Installed a "aftermarket" tri power myself... After sorting out the bad rebuild on the center carb it now runs like a champ. No complaints on drivability or power. Mine is stock and runs like it. Factory smooth idle and plenty of kick when the front/rear are opened.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never had problems with my tripower. Sounds about right on the price though.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
the jaguar multiple carb set up is your worst nightmare. pontiacs perform excellent and are reliable. years ago i created my own linkage from 1/4" rods, hine joints, and a sliding set screw that allowed me to determine when to have outer carbs kick in. it outperformed pontiacs progressive linkage. the car outright hauled ass instantaniously.rickm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts