Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car on the lift today and I noticed the Rt exhaust side pipe had 2 severe crimps in it right where the drive axle is. Looks like a pneumatic tool was used to crush it to give clearance. It was crushed or pressed down from the top. Has anyone seen this before.........?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Whew that is a load off...I think. I noticed what seemed like a sever crimp in mine on the passenger side. I thought maybe I bottomed out to hard and it hit up against the differential. That is a relief!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have a crimp on the passenger side. My son is an engineer, and he tells me that it does affect the performance. I know that you can never have enough horses but jeez, I'm not sure how much we are really loosing.

It would be interesting to dyno a completely stock GTO versus a completely stock GTO with only an upgrade to the exhaust system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Aussie233

No worries Mate, mine is crimped too!
I have a red 2005, I was wondering to cut the resonator out or cut the mufflers out and replace them with straight pipe.
Do you know which would sound the best?
I'm from Australia, these Goats are called Monaro's over there.
They first came out in 1968 with a 327 V8 with a 4 speed muncie.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Aussie233 said:
No worries Mate, mine is crimped too!
I have a red 2005, I was wondering to cut the resonator out or cut the mufflers out and replace them with straight pipe.
Do you know which would sound the best?
I'm from Australia, these Goats are called Monaro's over there.
They first came out in 1968 with a 327 V8 with a 4 speed muncie.

I'm telling you right now, if you cut off the mufflers your Goat will be L O U D. It sounds downright nasty....and by nasty I mean fantastic. To be sure you like the sound first w/out cutting, unbolt the mufflers at the flanges on the top-side of the mufflers and remove (muffler & tip). You'll get a fairly accurate representation of how it will sound w/out the mufflers (slightly different tone when straight pipes channel the sound to the back of the car instead of underneath).

For picts, check out my gallery. Either way...good luck. :cheers

·
Registered
267 Posts
when i put my loud mouth on, i fired it up before i but the cat back on, theres not much of a difference...the loud mouth mellows it out a little, and stops it from cracking and back firing all the time... :cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes. I had the same crimped pipe on the right side. :agree I thought it was terrible. Just changed the mufflers out with some stainless steel Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series-both offset in/outlet, so you can't see the muffs hanging. They do fit nicely where the stocks muffs are mounted. Then they just made a new pipe and replaced the crimped one. The only thing my exahust guy said by doing that your going to see the welds, but I told him that's better than seeing that crushed looking OEM pipe!!! :willy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.