Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a 7,000+ mile trip (3+weeks) in our GTO (May 2014). Started in Florida, then to Kentucky with 9 other older cars for 6 days of touring there (Distilleries, museums (including the corvette museum with the smashed vettes), caves, train rides, lots of awsome roads in the back country). Then we were on our own and on to Kansas to visit relatives for a few days. Next was to Tucson to visit :patriot::patriot:my mother and sister for a couple of days. San Diego was next to see my daughter & family there for 3 days. Back to Tucson for a couple of days (had a fuel line clamp break in Yuma that stopped us for a couple of hours). Then the long trip back across Texas (1 whole day in the rain) and the other states on I-10 to Florida. Gas bill was over $1,850.00 which was our biggest expense. Had lots of fun and lots of thumbs-up and great comments along the way. Not bad for a 45+ year old car.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Congrats! Using the old GTO as a touring/driving vehicle is my favorite way to use the car. Cross-country trips. Nothing better. My fairly recent install of a 2.56 rear gear in my '67 really helped with the fuel bill, too. Here's to more road trips!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I could never imagine doing that in my Lemans. I would need a small fortune. It costs me the same to fill it as it does my truck and the truck will last me 1-2 weeks and my Lemans...a weekend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
With the 2.56 rear gear in my '67 GTO, I get a consistent 20-21 mpg at 75-80mph on the freeway. I drive the wheels off of it. My 13-14mpg '65 that needs race gas stays parked in the garage most of the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Rad! That's a lot of miles man.

I just got back from a 1,300 mile trip with my GF in my 59 Caddy. 70mph and 16.2mpg the whole trip. Some beautiful sight seeing, Spokane Washington down to Southern CA.
Stayed at Bed & Breakfasts the who time... it was way awesome!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts