Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got finished installing a Muncie 4 speed in my 66 basket case GTO, and while digging thru the pile of parts that came with the car, I came up with 2 crossmembers, which up to this point I thought were the same for 64 -67 manual or automatics. One, has the usual raised stamped lip across the front and the back, which always fills up with dirt, rocks and grease, while the other had the same lip across the front, but on the DS rear the lip was flattened and opened, almost like a drain. I know the one with the flattened area came from a silver/red 67 4 speed goat, no idea what year the other is from. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just got finished installing a Muncie 4 speed in my 66 basket case GTO, and while digging thru the pile of parts that came with the car, I came up with 2 crossmembers, which up to this point I thought were the same for 64 -67 manual or automatics. One, has the usual raised stamped lip across the front and the back, which always fills up with dirt, rocks and grease, while the other had the same lip across the front, but on the DS rear the lip was flattened and opened, almost like a drain. I know the one with the flattened area came from a silver/red 67 4 speed goat, no idea what year the other is from. Any thoughts?
My 66 automatic cross member is the raised lip type and was completely full of dirt rocks and grease , you couldn’t pack more in if you tried,
I probably scraped 10 lbs out of the thing. If that answers any questions.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, both of mine were packed full and as tough as sack cement, brushed on some ethanol gas ( only thing it's good for) used a hammer and scraper, a little wet sanding, painting it came out decent. I had never seen the one with opened up area before, just wondering when PMD made the change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts