Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for a little fun and enjoyment. Yep, Spring is just around the corner and many will be pulling their rides out of hibernation and hitting the roads.

For me, certain songs and their "beat/tone" go hand-in-hand with driving. They compliment one's state of mind and the environment or surrounding situation (the scene you are part of -like a movie). There are songs that fit perfectly those times when you're just cruisin' real "bad ass" like looking for that one car to run and put him into the weeds. There are those song's you just gotta have blaring with the convertible top down, wind in your face, and clocking 80MPH on the highway just burning up every new car in sight (radar detector a must!). There are those songs where you are cruisin' for chicks or just being cool driving down the "avenue." And then there are my favorites, those tunes that pump you up and make you feel like you and the car are invincible and you're in a car chase movie with "blue light specials" in your rearview and 'ain't nothing going to catch you, aka "Gone in 60 Seconds," "Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry," or "The Blue's Brothers."

So what are your favorite cruisin' tunes, and maybe if you can, give us the scene where the tune is best used -cruisin' in general, cruisin' for chick's, trolling for that match race, top down, highway speeds, or getting into trouble!:thumbsup:

BTW: Throwing in a little imagination into the "scene" you think your tune fits is perfectly acceptable - gives us a picture of your movie, real or imagined.:biggrin2:

PS - I would imagine that many of the tunes that will be listed will probably be found on Youtube and can be heard so we all might enjoy another's recommendation if it is something we are not familiar with, be it "old" or "contemporary.":cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
I happened to start High School in the Fall of 1963, which coincides with the introduction of the GTO. I had the good fortune to have friends with fast cars (409 Chevy, FI Corvette, and a GTO). Any songs from 1963-1966 remind me of the times we spent "scooping the loop" in those great cars. When driving my current 1966 GTO, I generally put on songs from that era, ,along with a big smile, shift that 4 speed, ,and suddenly I don't feel quite so old!

·
Banned
1,499 Posts
I happened to start High School in the Fall of 1963, which coincides with the introduction of the GTO. I had the good fortune to have friends with fast cars (409 Chevy, FI Corvette, and a GTO). Any songs from 1963-1966 remind me of the times we spent "scooping the loop" in those great cars. When driving my current 1966 GTO, I generally put on songs from that era, ,along with a big smile, shift that 4 speed, ,and suddenly I don't feel quite so old!
My car came with a cassette player radio and I thought about putting in an original radio but went with a Retro Sound and dual cones for the front and rear speakers.
CD player is in the glove box and I have a bunch of pre 67 songs on CDs, Beatles, Mamas and Papas, Jefferson Airplane etc. stuff that would have been on the radio in '67.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well, Anything on Ride the Lightning or Master of Puppets by Metallica....but...

This one can get me in trouble.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg92QpjRcJk

Since I cruise to enjoy my Monte SS, too many ricer clowns with their hats backwards chase me around...I tend to play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYPFrXvc2rE Pantera's Domination....

Um cruising for chicks? To remind myself not to I play this: besides, they think my car is beastly and scary....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6LL5iA6y9o Megadeth In My Darkest Hour....

Finally to go with my 8 track...wish this version of Dreamweaver by Crowbar was on it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0lQPri8bt4

Now Run to the Hills and or Aces high would be perfect during a street race with some fool in their honda.....

I take it you will Notice a theme here...yes I went to High School during the 80's and grew up on Thrash Metal and other forms of metal music.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
After reading what Nightshade listens to, I have submitted his name for random urinalysis. I'm with georgegervin. Throw in some Steppenwolf and Black Sabbath. Matt

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember the era of Heavy Metal bands and I hated them.(I liked the Hair Bands) Heavy Metal always seemed to me to be heavy handed on the instruments, had vocals that were more like yelling or guttural narration rather than singing, and there always seemed to be this annoying white noise static sound that was layered over the song. Seemed satanic to me as best I could describe it. A lot of the "stoners" I knew used to listen to it so I can only take it that it is best listened to in an altered state of mind.:wink2:

Never got into the "acid rock" groups/players of the 60's & early 70's either. Sure, a few songs I can listen too, but again, seemed to me that my friends who imbibed in the illegals listened to these groups as well.

It seems our connectedness to a genre of songs are formed around the times of our early adulthood when we turned 18 and moved into our early 20's. We were "legal" and no longer under parental controls. It was a time when we stepped out into the adult world thinking we knew it all and could do it all. It was a time when we learned who we were and who we were not, what we could do and get away with, and what got us in trouble -and we didn't care either. I think it was a time that "molded" us more so than any other time in our lives -we established our identities. :biggrin2:

I got into fast cars in the early 80's and many of my memories & experiences with them in my early 20's were tied to the music of that era which was "disco". So those disco songs (and wet T-shirt contests) are intertwined with my recollections and memories of my young adulthood and something I can identify with. But I also enjoy the songs from the late 50's & early 60's (and the "doo-wop" era) as I first listened to these songs when I got interested in old cars at 15 and bought my then 19 year old 1956 Pontiac when I was 16. Of course who doesn't like the Beach Boys or Jan & Dean for their flavor of hot rod songs? Now, I like a whole spectrum of songs and artists/groups -old & new. I listen to music way more than watch TV.:yesnod:

Now here is a great cruisin' the avenue song. Anyone who has watched American Gaffiti will recognize this song by Booker T and the MG's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bpS-cOBK6Q

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to play the Steve Miller Band cassette tape about 1979 when I was driving my brother's one owner NIGHTSHADE GREEN/black vinyl/white interior/fender skirts/Rally mags/dual exhaust/2.71 posi 1968 Bonneville 2Dr HT with its 400CI/TH400 and the tri-power we added to it back and forth from home to the autobody tech school an hour away I was attending. I did some body work to the car and re-sprayed it NIGHTSHADE GREEN as one of my project cars -got it posted as one of my pictures.

This song was one of my favorite to listen to as I zipped along -opening up the tri-power on a few long stretches of road. I suppose it could fall into the "cruisin' for chick's" category, but I always think of that bad-ass '68 Bonneville whenever I hear it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilEyJTtFOA8

Remember "Low Rider" by War. It was used in the movie Gone In 60 Seconds. Classic cruisin' song when you wanna be cool, like creeping through the car show looking for a spot to park your ride, or slowly cruisin' the streets checking out those checking out you. Another favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGvuZ4r2bhs

If this one doesn't pump you up and get you in trouble, then your dead. Gotta love the drums in this one. Golden Earring's "Radar Love."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm1q1XoN_Qo

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Depends on the mood and the situation. Classic rock of the mid-'60's thru the mid '70's works, but I prefer the B sides and less common, due to burn-out. I like all the Deep Purple stuff, like "Lazy" , "Woman from Tokyo", "Hush", etc, as well as early Doobies, Grand Funk, Standells, CCR, Bowie, JJ Cale, Joe South, Bobby Fuller, Beatles, some Stones that I'm not burnt out on, etc. I like the gritty soul stuff of the mid '60's more than the mainstream Motown stuff (again, burnt out), stuff like Slim Harpo's "Scratch My Back', Little Esther, Joe Tex, Sam and Dave, etc. '60's Punk, like The Weeds and 13th Floor elevators, among many obscure others, rock out too. I also like Patsy Cline, Ella Mae Morse, Gene Krupa, and most boogie woogie/big band stuff, in the right situation. Dave Brubeck, Art Farmer, or Cal Tjader jazz works very well on a sunset cruise to dinner. I'm with Jim: the 'Death Metal' of the '80's and '90's leaves me flat, as it's depressing. I'd rather listen to Lee Dorsey's 1964 hit "Ride Your Pony" or even Rufus Thomas's "Funky Robot" or "Funky Penguin". Lots of options out there, but for me, most of the tunes are 40-60 years old.

·
Super Moderator
5,754 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cruising up at the cottage, down lakeshore road, windows down, AC/DC back in black tape blasting, stopping at the different beaches and taking in the sights. Also listened to Van Halen, Def Leppard, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, to name a few. Miss those days but still listen to the music.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Oh yeah! I like to think I have a "diverse" taste in music, while I do feel a little burnout from 60's and 70's rock and I shudder when I go to a car show and they play all Jan and Dean and the Beach Boys (I think that kind of alienates the younger crowd) I can appreciate music from several genres from classical to rap....well right now I'm really into blues, blues rock and rockabilly like Reverend Horton Heat and I love old ZZ Top. Someone mentioned Tommy Bolin, love it. Here's one that always gets me to crank up the volume tho....

Billy Thorpe Children of the Sun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR2oct3zeTM

How bout' some Peter Frampton - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7rFYbMhcG8

Great Thread Jim!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Yes, what Goat Roper said. I have all that stuff on vinyl still. Too many to list, and they never get any air time, either. Hot and Nasty by Humble pie definitely gets the blood flowing! Tony Joe White is excellent (kind of invented Swamp Rock), and there are many more, all with their own unique sound. Love the Guess Who, BTO, Spirit, and the Grass Roots as well. No need to listen to Justin Bieber, Mariah Carey or Lady Gaga, IMO!!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm gonna step out on a limb here and say I think Bear likes Grand Funk Railroad. Just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts