Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has become obvious to me that "store bought" headers are not gonna fit into my scheme of things....so....I checked with a very reputable shop.....$2500 for a custom set of stainless steel headers, 2" primary into a 3 1/2 collector..........+$2000 for a fabricated 3" set of pipes w/ mufflers to the rear bumper......:eek: :willy: :) I am happy to see there is a solution, but the price is frightening!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
It has become obvious to me that "store bought" headers are not gonna fit into my scheme of things....so....I checked with a very reputable shop.....$2500 for a custom set of stainless steel headers, 2" primary into a 3 1/2 collector..........+$2000 for a fabricated 3" set of pipes w/ mufflers to the rear bumper......:eek: :willy: :) I am happy to see there is a solution, but the price is frightening!!!!
Have you checked with "Mad Dog" headers? I have no personal experience with them, but I hear very good things about them.

Bear

·
Premium Member
779 Posts

Eric, for custom headers that were ceramic coated, the price I paid was around $2,500 (Paul's guy). The "hang" on the passenger side was substantially eliminated. Didn't replace back-end pipes or mufflers. Good luck.

·
Registered
686 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Paul, I think your job was done by Kook's....they have moved out of the area. this is a shop owned by a former employee (so i am told)..... LIKETHAT, The funny thing is, I could operate that Blue Bender! I worked in an exhaust shop for 2 years, and bent pipe all the time. BEAR, I will check Mad Dog out, thank you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I can see and understand paying that kind of money for the headers. I think if you buy 3" stainless complete systems from one of the aftermarket venders hang it on the car first and then the guy can make the headers to mate with the rest of the exhaust. Save some money.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
looking at your frame i would imagine the exhaust would have to be custom bent.....but man thats a chunk of change...:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dimitri...but what INST8R says is correct...all custom....Ah well, If ya' wanna play, ya' gotta pay........:rolleyes:

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Eric,I have less than $4500 into my entire '65 GTO, including purchase price, repaint, engine overhaul, trans overhaul, and rear diff overhaul. And tires and wheels, too. 4500 for exhaust? To coin a phrase from the movie "Used Cars", "That's too F88ing High!!" (Insert shotgun blast here). I'd shop around a little....the economy is rough,and there are a lot of skilled guys out there....Step back a minute and get ahold of yourself. FORTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS??? EEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Last I remember you were talking a BLOWN, big inch motor ?? 2" primaries ?? I ran 2 1/8 ID primary Hookers on my carburated LS6 years ago. You're gonna choke that engine on that size header. What does you're engine builder suggest for size ?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jet, Actually I am planning to move to the Sarasota area. Mitch, It was suggested that i use at least 2" primaries, 2 1/8 if I can fit 'em. Jeff, I live in NY, land of the over taxed, and HIGH overhead....everything here is expensive, or not available hence....see comment to Jet!:willy::lol:

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doug's hit the block on the right side....and are in the way (big time) of the steering shaft on the left side (due to custom Rack&Pinion set up)....I am way to anal to dent, cut, re-weld, recoat the Doug's...besides they would STILL be 1 7/8 tubes.......maybe I should run individual tubes out thru the front fenders...above the front wheels...and just let 'em CRACKLE!!!!!:rofl:

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Got another estimate....$3000.....:mad:
:eek: I would be buying a prebent tubing kit and a Mig welder....;)

Maybe swap the blower for twin turbos. Then the headers go up and forward....:lol:

Seriously, they must see the $$$$ combo and think you're made of money.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Doug's hit the block on the right side....and are in the way (big time) of the steering shaft on the left side (due to custom Rack&Pinion set up)....I am way to anal to dent, cut, re-weld, recoat the Doug's...besides they would STILL be 1 7/8 tubes.......maybe I should run individual tubes out thru the front fenders...above the front wheels...and just let 'em CRACKLE!!!!!:rofl:
blowers run best with zoomies. :cheers

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everyone in NY is nuts....except for me!:willy: The 2nd estimate had nicer workmanship than the 1st......:confused......Oh well At least it will sound good!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
WOW and I'm complaining about new axles for 400- phukit you already have the blower sticking up thru the hood, route the headers up and out. No one would mess with you with flames shooting out the hood:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts