Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Custom Headers

7K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  Eric Animal 
#1 ·
It has become obvious to me that "store bought" headers are not gonna fit into my scheme of things....so....I checked with a very reputable shop.....$2500 for a custom set of stainless steel headers, 2" primary into a 3 1/2 collector..........+$2000 for a fabricated 3" set of pipes w/ mufflers to the rear bumper......:eek: :willy: :) I am happy to see there is a solution, but the price is frightening!!!!

#4 ·
#25 ·
This is the bender we use got one sitting in the shop. The only thing is if you were making headers you would want mandrel bent tube as this bender puts a slight kink into the pipe when its bent where a mandrel bender is smooth equal diameter bends. A mandrel bender also costs about 4 times more than this one.

#5 ·
Thanks Paul, I think your job was done by Kook's....they have moved out of the area. this is a shop owned by a former employee (so i am told)..... LIKETHAT, The funny thing is, I could operate that Blue Bender! I worked in an exhaust shop for 2 years, and bent pipe all the time. BEAR, I will check Mad Dog out, thank you.

#6 ·
I can see and understand paying that kind of money for the headers. I think if you buy 3" stainless complete systems from one of the aftermarket venders hang it on the car first and then the guy can make the headers to mate with the rest of the exhaust. Save some money.

#9 ·
Eric,I have less than $4500 into my entire '65 GTO, including purchase price, repaint, engine overhaul, trans overhaul, and rear diff overhaul. And tires and wheels, too. 4500 for exhaust? To coin a phrase from the movie "Used Cars", "That's too F88ing High!!" (Insert shotgun blast here). I'd shop around a little....the economy is rough,and there are a lot of skilled guys out there....Step back a minute and get ahold of yourself. FORTY FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS??? EEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!

#11 ·
Last I remember you were talking a BLOWN, big inch motor ?? 2" primaries ?? I ran 2 1/8 ID primary Hookers on my carburated LS6 years ago. You're gonna choke that engine on that size header. What does you're engine builder suggest for size ?

#13 ·
Jet, Actually I am planning to move to the Sarasota area. Mitch, It was suggested that i use at least 2" primaries, 2 1/8 if I can fit 'em. Jeff, I live in NY, land of the over taxed, and HIGH overhead....everything here is expensive, or not available hence....see comment to Jet!:willy::lol:

#14 ·
Doug's hit the block on the right side....and are in the way (big time) of the steering shaft on the left side (due to custom Rack&Pinion set up)....I am way to anal to dent, cut, re-weld, recoat the Doug's...besides they would STILL be 1 7/8 tubes.......maybe I should run individual tubes out thru the front fenders...above the front wheels...and just let 'em CRACKLE!!!!!:rofl:

#16 ·
:eek: I would be buying a prebent tubing kit and a Mig welder....;)

Maybe swap the blower for twin turbos. Then the headers go up and forward....:lol:

Seriously, they must see the $$$$ combo and think you're made of money.

#22 ·
twin turbo kit to go along with the blower and 4" semi stacks straight up out the hood...still be cheaper....:lol: E, misery loves company....i would find a good welder in need of a few bucks and buy a mandrel bent kit to have him fab, source the coating, least you may save on the taxes if you pay cash. Plenty of good welder in Detroit looking to make a few bucks.

#29 ·
I believe they send you a mock up kit and you send it back. I have not done it myself but looked into it because no one makes a set that fits perfectly in my 66 chevelle lowered, with after market power steering, angled plugs, and 4 speed. Hey, it costs nothing to give them a call you never know. Good luck man hope you don't have to drop that kind of coin on the exhaust ($4000 Damn!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.