Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1965 GTO that I am restoring. It will never be 100% original because the engine, transmission, and rear end were changed out long before I got the car. So as I restore it I am upgrading and improving it. One of the things my wife asked was if there was anyway to put in reclining bucket seats with headrest. I have found the ones on Original Parts Group but they do not offer rear seats so they won't match.

I have also seen where people take seats out of the newer GTO's, 2004-2006, and place them in the older cars for a custom look.

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that offers front and rear custom seats that match and would look good with stock door panels and dash?

Also, is there any information on how to modify newer generation seats to make them work in older GTO's?

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 1965 GTO that I am restoring. It will never be 100% original because the engine, transmission, and rear end were changed out long before I got the car. So as I restore it I am upgrading and improving it. One of the things my wife asked was if there was anyway to put in reclining bucket seats with headrest. I have found the ones on Original Parts Group but they do not offer rear seats so they won't match.

I have also seen where people take seats out of the newer GTO's, 2004-2006, and place them in the older cars for a custom look.

Does anyone know if there is a company out there that offers front and rear custom seats that match and would look good with stock door panels and dash?

Also, is there any information on how to modify newer generation seats to make them work in older GTO's?

Thanks,
Dale

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thats a really good subject. I would like to replace the seats in my car with a more comfortable one and then there is the door line to be concerned. The 2004-06 seats are much better looking but I fear they are too tall. My car is also a 65---convertible.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
The 2004-2006 GTO bucket seats fit well and look very nice with minor modification ( floor mount brackets). The rear seats however are way too tall. They need to be shortened about 6-8 inches, and center/side fillers fabricated. I would suggest installing the front seats. Then having the rear seat (65) re-upholstered to match the fronts......would look great IMHO Eric

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
You could also change the interior to a '66 or '67 interior. It all fits. '66 and '67 offered reclining passenger side seat with headrest. Rare, but I've sat in 'em. I once had a '65 with a '67 interior, and it looked like it was born there. If you're not a GTO purist, you'll never know the difference. Also, with me, I can drive my GTO all day without back issues (especially my '67 with the rebuilt seat), but I can't drive most newer vehicles comfortably for a long time. The seats are too low, and I'm sitting on my tailbone. One reason I'm not into Mustangs or Firebirds. A lot of seating options out there, and they are a bolt in, so you won't bede-valuing the car if you hold on tho the original gut.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the information. I had thought about the 66-67 interior but finding a reclining passenger seat would be difficult and probably expensive.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket seats from Original Parts Group? I was just wondering the quality and if they are bolt in without modifications. If they are that would be an option and have the rear seats redid to match. I also like the idea of the 04-06 front seats and having the back redid to match them.

The interior is still a ways off before I start on it. I just like deciding ahead of time what I am going to do so I can gather the needed items.

Thanks again,
Dale

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked a similar question a couple months ago and there was a nice discussion about it, and I also got a lot of great information from looking at the more active chevelle forums.
http://www.gtoforum.com/f50/non-vintage-seats-29444/
I looked up the link you had with the Chevelle and those are the seats that Original Parts Group sells. Those are the seats that rap around and I was looking at the step below that is just contoured seats. I just wonder if he had the back seat made to match and if he had to modify his mounts.

Dale

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some more digging and I found out who makes the seats sold by OPG. They are Procar seats and are made by Scat. When I went to their web site I found that they actually have a lot of different seats and material options to include leather and velour. They even have custom mounting brackets for a variety of vehicles that makes their seats bolt in capable with no modifications or fabrications. They even have rear seats and kits for VWs, Mustangs, and Camaros. I am going to contact them and see if I can buy their material in bulk to make a back seat for the 65. If I can, I might have just found a great solution.

Here is their web site.

Procar by Scat

Dale

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I've always wondered if seats from any GM a body will fit other divisions, and thanks to that website, I found out that they do!

I really like the Elite lumber in black velour.... No vinyl for this texas boy

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I put both front and rear 06 GTO seats into my 65 hardtop- the fronts are all power and they fit great.I am 6' 1". BUT you do have to make custom mounts - I made VERY simple plates with studs and then welded them to the floor most of the time was spent lining the drivers side up to the steering wheel. You are able to use the front inner stud to position the seats and it centers the seat to the wheel then you have to work out the side to side heights with the other three mounts. The tops of the rear seats have to be cut down so you can see out the back window and since the rear of a 65 is MUCH wider than an 04-06 I split the rear set so they are positioned behind the front seats and am building a rear center console to fill that area in. A little bit of work but the seats are soooooo comfy:D

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've always wondered if seats from any GM a body will fit other divisions, and thanks to that website, I found out that they do!

I really like the Elite lumber in black velour.... No vinyl for this texas boy
My wife likes the Elite Lumbar in velour the best as well, that comfort thing. I like the Pro 90 in velour because they look like they could have been stock in a 65 GTO. I am sure the comfort thing will win.;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put both front and rear 06 GTO seats into my 65 hardtop- the fronts are all power and they fit great.I am 6' 1". BUT you do have to make custom mounts - I made VERY simple plates with studs and then welded them to the floor most of the time was spent lining the drivers side up to the steering wheel. You are able to use the front inner stud to position the seats and it centers the seat to the wheel then you have to work out the side to side heights with the other three mounts. The tops of the rear seats have to be cut down so you can see out the back window and since the rear of a 65 is MUCH wider than an 04-06 I split the rear set so they are positioned behind the front seats and am building a rear center console to fill that area in. A little bit of work but the seats are soooooo comfy:D
I really like the looks of that, nice job. I have been doing some checking on the 04-06 seat route but have had no luck. One of our better salvage yards is hooked up to that link that they use where he can check numerous other businesses and there are no used seats out there. As a matter of fact he says there are no wrecked cars in salvage. Every since Pontiac went out of business the wrecked cars are being bought and rebuilt so the parts for them have dried up. I have checked 40 normal yards so far. I haven't checked any Pontiac specific yards yet because they seem to be more expensive. So it looks like the Procar seats are looking like a viable option. The seats are fairly nice looking and you can get the brackets specifically for your car that makes them bolt in ready.
Thanks
Dale

·
Registered
194 Posts
I just got done putting 99 grand prix seats in my 70 GTO. I also managed to install them without modifying any factory mounts or making holes in the floor so if I ever want to put original seats back in I can. The grand prix seats look almost like a newer version of the 70 seats with the same amount of vertical ribs plus the rear seat is one piece. The power stuff all still works as well as the heated seat parts.:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
It was more work then any normal person would want but I'll put out the rough instructions. For the back bottom I had to remove a lot of foam from the center section where the tunnel is on the rear wheel drive gto. The steel rods in the seat had to be bent to shape around the car floor. I used the nail puller side of a hammer to do this. The front factory clips are designed to clip the steel framing and I adjusted the framing to use those clips. For the rear top there are 2 screws with fender washers that hold the bottom section in and 4 hooks on the top. I made holes in the package tray for these hooks to set in. For the front passenger seat there is no power on the seats I have so it was easy. I had to remove the brackets from seat because they were too wide for gto mounting holes. Cut the brackets in half bring them closer together and welded them back together. Shortened the wire that controls the slider lock. The front of grand prix brackets hook into car so I bent them over and drilled holes to use the gto mounting stud. Then the screws for the seat were too wide to bolt to the bracket so I made some angle brackets to bolt the seat to bracket. Used existing holes in back. The drivers seat was basicly the same except it is power so it has motors and all the garb that comes along with it. The mounting difference was the front wouldn't reach the studs because the center brackets connecting the sides together comes down too low. I used a 5/16" nut welded to a 3/8" bolt to lengthen the stud up high enough and then did the same as passenger side. It isn't complete yet. Need to make some black strips on sides of back seat to cover the inch that it isn't wide enough and a package tray with speakers to hide the 2 inches it is too tall. Far from a perfect install but the end result should look pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I am leaning towards the Procar seats by Scat. I really like the Pro 90 seats, they look like they could have been factory installed in any mid 60's muscle car. I also like the Rally seats, they have that old school look with modern side supports. My wife likes the Elite Lumbar because of the higher back and the lumbar support. That is the biggest complaint she has with old style bucket seats is that they offer no lumbar support. The problem is they look like newer, more modern, seats than the others which would not match the original interior. If anyone has used the Elite series seats and has pictures, please share. The pictures that 58mark shared in an earlier post of a Chevelle has the Rally seats in it, which looks pretty good and stock looking. I will repost the link below. My wife woild like the velour but I like the leather of vinyl for that more original look, but we will probably go with velour for comfort. They do offer a velour trimmed in vinyl for the Rally seats which looks really good.

Dale

Picasa Web Albums - Rok - Chevelle inte...

To see the bigger pictures play the slide show and pause the pictures.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts