Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if you guys can help me here but Ive got several cut wires under dash these have been done recently I think the guy who was just working on my car. I tried making sence from a elec schematic but the one I have Resto guide isnt much help take a look
Its actually 3 wires the one green black I traced the other 3 are a brown, blue, green they are in a wrapped bundle so to trace I would have to cut open the bundle wrapped with elec tape I believe they go behind the fuse box.

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Youved sure been battling the issues, but some day, you'll have them all corrected, and then you'll have a ton of pride in the job you did. Nothing like the feeling of accomplishment.
I dont know about that but the dimmer is hooked up I tested the 3 wires in question here one is hot the ig switch turns it on so I guess for now I'll cap it the other 2 I dont know. When I get the brakes all setteled and the VCs installed I think this winter I'll pull the gauge board I cant see where the wires are going if I pull the dash should make it easier. they are wrapped with elec tape. Looks like the wiring has been replaced, I found another hot connector all in all theres around 7-10 loose wires maybe no big deal.
I discovered some of the fus4 connections if you hook up to they are hot all the time, must be for a switch? I'mcurrently installing a tach I'm going to put it on top of the middle console behind the shifter, to big for the steering column 3 3/4".
Thanks for the help Im sure I'll have lots more questions especially when I get into the brakes
Oh the 2 setups Im looking at one says 1" bore the other is 1 1/8" bore is it a big deal which I choose? Im getting the whole setup not just the booster, should be quite an adventure.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I dont know about that but the dimmer is hooked up I tested the 3 wires in question here one is hot the ig switch turns it on so I guess for now I'll cap it the other 2 I dont know. When I get the brakes all setteled and the VCs installed I think this winter I'll pull the gauge board I cant see where the wires are going if I pull the dash should make it easier. they are wrapped with elec tape. Looks like the wiring has been replaced, I found another hot connector all in all theres around 7-10 loose wires maybe no big deal.
I discovered some of the fus4 connections if you hook up to they are hot all the time, must be for a switch? I'mcurrently installing a tach I'm going to put it on top of the middle console behind the shifter, to big for the steering column 3 3/4".
Thanks for the help Im sure I'll have lots more questions especially when I get into the brakes
Oh the 2 setups Im looking at one says 1" bore the other is 1 1/8" bore is it a big deal which I choose? Im getting the whole setup not just the booster, should be quite an adventure.
Are you talking about the master cylinder? If so, the larger bore size will be for power brakes and the smaller would be for manual brakes.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The brown blue green wires go to the high beam foot switch.
View attachment 157434
I hate figuring out wiring especially when some stupid hack does a number on it, mine was the same thing and I'm still trying to straighten things out. That's why I installed a battery disconnect and a smoke alarm in the garage.
Good idea Im going to put a smoke alarm there my 67 had a battery disconnect it was nice I have a multi ported battery connectors both +&- its real nice I disconnect when not using as the idiot who did the wiring may have something draining the battery I dont know just a 3/16" alan nut to disconnect. Made it handy with grounds too just ran a wire from the neg to the under dash been using it for all the new grnds.
Would you know where the wire to the light is? where to look.The ceiling light. Im trying to hookup the center console light its on all the time when keys on been trying to trace the door wire cant find it

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're blending two threads with brake questions and electrical. Do you have a wiring diagram? Make sure the door buttons aren't sticking and the dome light has a good ground. I'm not good at wiring but I've figured out all my problems with a wiring schematic.
Your right I looked at an old thread here and the guy stated you can get color coated elec schematics on Ebay so I went there the problem is Im not sure it would match I dont know what they did or installed elec wise but I guess for $25 or so it might be worth it. Ive been doing some of my own figuring I got the center console light figured out. Theres several hot wires under the dash unused

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
If you have a factory clock in the dash why don't you replace it with a factory tach? Or if you're not worried about originality replace them all with reliable aftermarket gauges like I did, my tach was way off and my oil pressure gauge was not right and didn't have a voltage gauge. I went with Speedhut, you have infinite design possibilities,
with warning lights and shift lights. GPS speedometer, clock, altitude, and quarter mile time.
Motor vehicle Speedometer Light Odometer Gauge
Speedometer Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Odometer Trip computer

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice! I have a busted tach speedo works, gas gauge woks the idiot lights did work Thats why I need to take them out and see wtf is wired up. It looks like it has been rewired recently.
Where did you get those upper ones the Pontiacs those are very nice maybe down the road, first things first. get rid of tapping rockers with new VCs and to do that I need to shrink the booster

1 - 20 of 36 Posts