Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...next time you Goat is up on a rack..you might just want to check your CV axle boots. Had mine up when the exhaust was redone a week ago and the welder noticed that I was leaking grease all over the place.

Took it to dealer and my boot is torn up. They got a new axle on order. I got 6600 miles on her.

Just figured I'd let yall know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do the cv axles break after about 550-600 hp? I have an automatic goat and am ready to install heads, headers, cams. Has anyone broken the stock cv axles? will they hold 700+ rwhp( planning to have this power after the 402 block comes in) Please someone help me with this topic i dont want to break anything i can aviod breaking.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
xboostx said:
Do the cv axles break after about 550-600 hp? I have an automatic goat and am ready to install heads, headers, cams. Has anyone broken the stock cv axles? will they hold 700+ rwhp( planning to have this power after the 402 block comes in) Please someone help me with this topic i dont want to break anything i can aviod breaking.
With that kind of power you should replace the drive shaft, cv shafts and the stub axels, check this link for more information;

http://www.tbyrne.com/GTO/gtotransgears.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the BMR driveshaft but had waaaayyyy to much vibration atfer 120mph with my automatic goat. It was real nasty. I want to know if anyone making big power has broken the cv axles. Or any particular part in their drivetrain. The tranny will be built.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update...CV axle is not on YET. They ordered the wrong part...so no I have to wait till July 7th for it to be put in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts