Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the fuel pump working on dad's '32 Ford model B, so we went up to the show in his home town today. Parked in front of the grade school I attended, he's going to be 85 October 2nd and he still was able to muscle his car around. This is the car I tried to help him with when I was 10 years old and where I got the bug for cars. He restored it to original himself in 1975, it hadn't run in three years. The people loved it and I think he had a blast 馃憤
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Registered
I got the fuel pump working on dad's '32 Ford model B, so we went up to the show in his home town today. Parked in front of the grade school I attended, he's going to be 85 October 2nd and he still was able to muscle his car around. This is the car I tried to help him with when I was 10 years old and where I got the bug for cars. He restored it to original himself in 1975, it hadn't run in three years. The people loved it and I think he had a blast 馃憤 View attachment 157451

Looks great. I really enjoy and appreciate an original car versus when someone takes a car that should be kept original and then hot rods it. Don't get me wrong, I am all about hot rods, but to take an old car that is still so original and hot rod it is shameful when there are so many other cars, or even fiberglass, that could be used.

Dad looks good for 85. My Dad is 87 and Mom is 85 and they never sit still! Always going somewhere for a day trip which ALWAYS includes a coffee and snack - which I think the sugary snack is what keeps them going as they know ALL the good places to go! :)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats great, ya it was a lot for him today and I'm sure he's napping now. He still comes into the office 3 half days a week to keep going...and to get away from mom 馃槈 Yes he is all about originality, even used the glycerin paint they used back in the 30's and is still missing a dome light switch because he doesn't want a repop. When I wanted to hot rod my '67 back in '82 we kinda butted heads but it worked out...or he gave up 馃槈

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There weren't many Pontiacs today but one shabby '67 Tempest with an LS, a '69 gto and this nice Bonneville I've posted before so I got some more pics this time. He's got '56 tail light lens because he liked the bullet look which I agree. The only problem I have is they gave this guy 3 out of the 15 awards, I love the car and he deserves an award but I wish they would spread the wealth around, another guy won two awards. And they were cool trophies that a guy there welds up all kinds of motor parts, like the best of show was three cam shafts welded into a tee pee with something else on top, some were pistons welded together....much cooler than a crappie plastic one.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Blue Automotive tire
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle Blue

Premium Member
1964 GTO, Tri-power, 4 speed, manual brakes & steering, black ext. red int., dog dish caps, T.I. ign
Love a good Father & Son story. First and foremost Dad looks like he could use that stick for other than walking! Way to go! I am fortunate that my Dad became my best friend in my adult years. Wasn't always the case. Dad was a car nut, but not a hot rodder. The '58 reminds me of 2 cars he owned: 1957 black Oldsmobile 88 and a 1958 white Oldsmobile 98. What a difference those 2 cars were jumping just one year in design and function. I learned to drive in a x-city 1958 Chevy Bel-Air that my Mom drove, 3 on the tree.

Love the '32 like everyone has chimed in. All we need is Clyde Barrow or Bonnie Parker and everything would be just right................but wait a minute..............they are no shows! So, now I have to mention the great looking '65 GTO of Baaad65. My first Pontiac was the same color combo on the '65 Lemans 326 HO package. Very nice.

Tell us where "Tille" comes into play?

64-67 Expert
Excellent for you and your dad. I lost mine 13 years ago and miss him. Lost my mom last year, and miss her even more. Before they passed away, I spent as much time with them as possible and don't regret a minute of it. No better way to spend time, IMO. Here's my mom in my old '61...she loved it because she was 5'1 and it fit her perfectly, and it was her favorite color as well. Good times. Agree with Jim on the old cars as drivers instead of Boyd Coddington Easter eggs.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love a good Father & Son story. First and foremost Dad looks like he could use that stick for other than walking! Way to go! I am fortunate that my Dad became my best friend in my adult years. Wasn't always the case. Dad was a car nut, but not a hot rodder. The '58 reminds me of 2 cars he owned: 1957 black Oldsmobile 88 and a 1958 white Oldsmobile 98. What a difference those 2 cars were jumping just one year in design and function. I learned to drive in a x-city 1958 Chevy Bel-Air that my Mom drove, 3 on the tree.

Love the '32 like everyone has chimed in. All we need is Clyde Barrow or Bonnie Parker and everything would be just right................but wait a minute..............they are no shows! So, now I have to mention the great looking '65 GTO of Baaad65. My first Pontiac was the same color combo on the '65 Lemans 326 HO package. Very nice.

Tell us where "Tille" comes into play?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier and thanks for the kind words. He's going to be 85 in October and has neuropathy, Parkinson's and most of his joints replaced including two back fusions plus quadruple bypass, he started using the walking stick for balance that actually was my sons souvenir from a trip to Colorado years ago. When he got it done in '76 we all dressed up in the 30's garb for a picture that's somewhere, I guess they used to name boats and maybe cars so some how he named her "Tillie" he also had a '36 cabriolet he started but ended up selling...that was Tip a Canoe or "Tip". So when I surprised him and had a shop get it going after sitting for 26 years from driving it for my sisters wedding for his 82nd birthday I went and got the "Tillie" plates. My car color is actually '67 Linden Green Ird and I love it. Trying to work on his car when I was 10 is the reason I'm a gear head.

Premium Member
1964 GTO, Tri-power, 4 speed, manual brakes & steering, black ext. red int., dog dish caps, T.I. ign
Baaad65, your Mom in the 61 Vette reminds me of my only experience of owning a Corvette. I had tired of the 1965 Pontiac Lemans 326 H/O (how could I tire of this car!). I was in college and I was home on summer break and a high school friend of mine wanted the car.

He couldn't sell his 1959 Corvette, so I took it in trade. It was purple with a gold scallop on the side. It had a bored over 283 c.i. engine with a believe it or not a Torqeflite Transmission. The pushbutton billet tower sat right where the 4 speed shifter would have normally been placed. I called my insurance agent and he told me $100 a month............WHAT! I sold the car 2 weeks later. My shortest ownership of car and at least I can say it was a Corvette.

I will add, he paid me MONEY PLUS the Corvette, how times change. Great memories.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Baaad65, your Mom in the 61 Vette reminds me of my only experience of owning a Corvette. I had tired of the 1965 Pontiac Lemans 326 H/O (how could I tire of this car!). I was in college and I was home on summer break and a high school friend of mine wanted the car.

He couldn't sell his 1959 Corvette, so I took it in trade. It was purple with a gold scallop on the side. It had a bored over 283 c.i. engine with a believe it or not a Torqeflite Transmission. The pushbutton billet tower sat right where the 4 speed shifter would have normally been placed. I called my insurance agent and he told me $100 a month............WHAT! I sold the car 2 weeks later. My shortest ownership of car and at least I can say it was a Corvette.

I will add, he paid me MONEY PLUS the Corvette, how times change. Great memories.
Sorry but that was geeteeohguy's mom ;)

Registered
love these pics of you guys at the show, make sure you go and see your dad every time you can, even if just to say hi for a minute. i lost my dad at 97 a few months ago, he got me started working on cars at a early age and always watched over me while working. nothing better then cars to bring a dad and son together, enjoy your time together.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts