21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1969 GTO
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ed,

You go it. Lol.

But the guys repairing the windows here decided they wanted to work on the windows on this side today. So I had to move it so I lost the best spot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1969 GTO
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Took a drive out to Byron Dragway today to watch stepnephew run in test in tune.

No I did not drag the GTO
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

This 62 Lemans/ Tempest is a guy I work with he ran a 8.03
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

It was a great to get out and watch the cars run.

·
Registered
1969 GTO
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
When I took that drive out to Byron I heard some humming and had a vibration coming from the rear of the car. It got louder on my way back home.

To make my life easier working on my cars
I purchased a quickjack from Costco and assembled it today and have already put it to good use.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Flowerpot Car Bumper

Pulled the rear axels and found this, Passenger side
Automotive tire Crankset Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

Tool Wood Automotive tire Auto part Natural material

Wonder if this was causing the humming and vibration.

The gear oil is pretty dark. Will pull the diff cover and give it a good cleaning.

Any pointers on anything else to look for?

Thanks
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
When I took that drive out to Byron I heard some humming and had a vibration coming from the rear of the car. It got louder on my way back home.

To make my life easier working on my cars
I purchased a quickjack from Costco and assembled it today and have already put it to good use.
View attachment 146958

View attachment 146959

Pulled the rear axels and found this, Passenger side
View attachment 146956

View attachment 146955

Wonder if this was causing the humming and vibration.

The gear oil is pretty dark. Will pull the diff cover and give it a good cleaning.

Any pointers on anything else to look for?

Thanks
Tom

And you said you didn't race your car, hmmmm.

Just make sure that the race/bearing was not spinning within the axle tube itself and did any damage.

Those bearings go, so no surprise. I would do both sides while you have the car up in the air. They will need to be pressed off and pressed on - although some will do the job themselves. Much easier to have a shop do it and know it is done right. Flush/clean the carrier, install a new gasket, and add fresh gear lube.

·
Registered
1969 GTO
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Jim,

Thanks for the tip on checking axle tube.
I will trial fit the new bearings in the axle tube to make sure they fit without spinning

For removal and replacement of the bearings there is a shop in town (Lemont, IL) that will be doing it since I don't have a press.

I sure will be flushing and cleaning the carrier after seeing how black the lube is.

Thanks, Tom

Is that Byron, IL?
Baaad65,
Yes it is... It was a nice day that day for it but a tad windy.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Jim,

I will trial fit the new bearings in the axle tube to make sure they fit without spinning

For removal and replacement of the bearings there is a shop in town (Lemont, IL) that will be doing it since I don't have a press.

I sure will be flushing and cleaning the carrier after seeing how black the lube is.

Thanks, Tom

Baaad65,
Jim,

Thanks, Tom

Baaad65,
That's about an hour due west of me I can see the steam from the nuclear plant, I've been trying to get out there to see what my car can run but it's just not working out, maybe next year....small world 👍

·
Registered
1969 GTO
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's about an hour due west of me I can see the steam from the nuclear plant, I've been trying to get out there to see what my car can run but it's just not working out, maybe next year....small world 👍
Sure is a small world. Maybe will run into each other at some point next year...

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Sure is a small world. Maybe will run into each other at some point next year...
Right? Are you close to Byron? I'm in the Hampshire area, been to any of the shows in that area like Sycamore, Elburn, Hampshire? How was the track, I'll have to check how late they stay open but it's getting pretty cold, suppose the car would run better in the cold vs 90 degrees and humid but there is a limit and the tires won't hook as good maybe. Plus I have to borrow or rent a trailer so doubt if it's going to happen this year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been doing some odds and ends on the GTO. Today I finally tackle replacing the dash light bulbs (some which were burnt out) with LEDs.

These are the ones I purchased.
View attachment 143557

I didn't realize that the clock bulbs are a different style so as you can see the illumination is still the old style bulb. That will be another days challenge.
Thanks for the reference Tom, I just ordered these since I can barely see my gauges. Let us know what what you get for the clock lamp.

·
Registered
1969 GTO
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Baaad65,

I am about and 1 1/2 hours from Byron. I live in Lemont.
No I have not been to any shows out in your area I pretty much do the local cruise nights or I just go out cruising around.

For track condition I can't say since I did not run my GTO. But according to my newphew and the guy with the 62 Tempest/lLemans conditions weren't to bad, they said it could have been better. My nephew said that they do spend more time into prepping the track when they have the bigger events/races there compared to test and tune days.

·
Registered
1969 GTO
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Khmike,

Your welcome. Please come back and let us know how they work out for you.

I have not looked into the clock bulbs as of yet. Had been busy working on the Packard and now the back on the GTO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Been doing some odds and ends on the GTO. Today I finally tackle replacing the dash light bulbs (some which were burnt out) with LEDs.

These are the ones I purchased.
View attachment 143557

Before Pic (not the best quality with my phone). You can barely see the old bulbs illumination
View attachment 143558

With the LEDs and they are dimmable
View attachment 143559

View attachment 143560

I didn't realize that the clock bulbs are a different style so as you can see the illumination is still the old style bulb. That will be another days challenge.
Hi Dads Packard,
I knew I saw someone post this but couldn’t remember who did. I will look them up on line or see if some classic auto shop around here has them. If I’m not mistaken you liked me pretty recently on my GTO picture I sent. My car came from the Fremont CA plant (VIN- 242379Z118389).
Carousel72TRed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 34 of 34 Posts