Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got the GTO in Texas since I'm still in Turkey. Had it shipped from Florida and it has had a polycotton cover on it. Unfortuanetly the damn Texas humidity has caused 6-7 HUGE bubbles on the trunk:mad::mad::mad::mad:. I'm talking 2 about 4x6" and at least 1 that's a foot long. Hopefully they can be water sanded down or it will need to be repainted. I'm so f'n pissed. Pics in the next day or so.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
If humidity caused the paint to bubble and lift, it was not adhering to the body to begin with. Air or chemicals were trapped under the paint, between the paint and the primer or body, and the atmospheric change caused expansion. It would have come off/bubbled up eventually. Check it out, but it may need to be stripped and repainted. I hope not!
Jeff

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it was repainted back to original about 15 or so years ago and was garage kept for the past 20 or so years with the polycotton cover on. Unfortunately I don't have a place with a garage for it in texas so I had to have my dad have the cover on it outside along with a tarp as well. The moisture wasn't evaporating and staying between the cover and the car on hot days. No rust issues though

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
still the moisture on top of the paint should be a non-issue, something is happening underneath the paint or primer causing it to release off the metal- I would suspect moisture or more likely unevaporated solvents in the filler/primer or paint that as geeteeohguy guy has stated the atmosperic change between the top of the car and the underlying paint layers are expanding, you are going to have to address it at some time- wet sanding will NOT do it that paint is now junk- hopefully its just on the trunk- I myself would pop the bubble with a pin and smell the escaping gas (disclaimer: do this at your own risk huffing paint solvents BAD) just to see what it was/is

·
Registered
60 Posts
Send me your Goat

OK for those in a similar situation...send me your Goat. I'll keep it cool by driving it regularly for you.
Grin
Even keep the carbon off the valves as part of the service.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well you guys were right, had it taken to a body shop and it is the paint. Luckily its only on the trunk, being told it might have been something in the sprayer or paint when the trunk was painted. Looking at pricing in the next few days.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well you guys were right, had it taken to a body shop and it is the paint. Luckily its only on the trunk, being told it might have been something in the sprayer or paint when the trunk was painted. Looking at pricing in the next few days.

It sounds like there was moisture in the lines or the painter didn't let it dry enough between coats. Once a catalyzed product dries any moisture or solvents under the top coat will be trapped. The paint technology available today is much better than it was 15 years ago. Hopefully the rest of the car is ok. Good luck on the repaint.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts