Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2015 the Butte wildfire scorched the California foothills and consumed a small town called Mountain Ranch, in addition to many others. It wiped out over 70,000 acres of Sierra Nevada forest and nearly 1000 structures, including my family cabin, where as a kid I cut my teeth on outdoorsmanship and "tinkering". While my personal loss stang, it pails in comparison to the loss of others, who actually lived there. Yet, it still "burns" to know it was all due to PG&E negligence.

Anyhow, an awesome parts car 1966 Tempest that was abandoned on the property back in 1981 lay waiting for me to harvest from it a cornucopia of bits and pieces for my '66 GTO. It was a survivor car that, despite patina and a siezed boat anchor 326, was super cool in that it had not been touched...and it could never possibly be hauled out of where it was left. Not even sure how it got there! In particular, I wanted all the glass for my car.

It was another victim of that blaze, and I recently came across a picture of it all burnt and alone in a once forested area. So, I felt compelled to share the photo. It is still there in all its rusty, melted glory.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
In 2015 the Butte wildfire scorched the California foothills and consumed a small town called Mountain Ranch, in addition to many others. It wiped out over 70,000 acres of Sierra Nevada forest and nearly 1000 structures, including my family cabin, where as a kid I cut my teeth on outdoorsmanship and "tinkering". While my personal loss stang, it pails in comparison to the loss of others, who actually lived there. Yet, it still "burns" to know it was all due to PG&E negligence.

Anyhow, an awesome parts car 1966 Tempest that was abandoned on the property back in 1981 lay waiting for me to harvest from it a cornucopia of bits and pieces for my '66 GTO. It was a survivor car that, despite patina and a siezed boat anchor 326, was super cool in that it had not been touched...and it could never possibly be hauled out of where it was left. Not even sure how it got there! In particular, I wanted all the glass for my car.

It was another victim of that blaze, and I recently came across a picture of it all burnt and alone in a once forested area. So, I felt compelled to share the photo. It is still there in all its rusty, melted glory.
While sad...a fantastic picture. Old cars rule, running or not.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
California needs to learn forestry. Not leave dead things standing because they're there.
Considering the Feds own almost 60% of the forested land in CA, with another 35% owned by private landowners, it seems to me that the PG&E and the US government are the ones needing to learn forestry. CalFire is the best in the business (ask Australia and Sewden), but they only have control over 3% of the land. But, I agree...too many drought-killed and beetle eaten trees standing.

The real issue is climate change, which our classic cars do not impact (y), but there are other forums for that!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Considering the Feds own almost 60% of the forested land in CA, with another 35% owned by private landowners, it seems to me that the PG&E and the US government are the ones needing to learn forestry. CalFire is the best in the business (ask Australia and Sewden), but they only have control over 3% of the land. But, I agree...too many drought-killed and beetle eaten trees standing.

The real issue is climate change, which our classic cars do not impact (y), but there are other forums for that!
Well that's the excuse the tree huggers all give.

Climate change??? LOL!

I remember when it was called global warming. Well let me tell you about "global warming".

I just dealt with 2 feet of that "global warming" falling out of the sky. It's called SNOW. Also, it's been 16 days since we've seen temps outside of the 20's.

So when people like me didn't buy into the whole B.S. story about "global warming" the tree huggers changed the name to "climate change".

Same B.S. story, different name.

Go out and cut down those dead trees.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that's the excuse the tree huggers all give.

Climate change??? LOL!

I remember when it was called global warming. Well let me tell you about "global warming".

I just dealt with 2 feet of that "global warming" falling out of the sky. It's called SNOW. Also, it's been 16 days since we've seen temps outside of the 20's.

So when people like me didn't buy into the whole B.S. story about "global warming" the tree huggers changed the name to "climate change".

Same B.S. story, different name.

Go out and cut down those dead trees.

Don't confuse "excuses" with facts. It's pretty hard to cut down dead trees in forests you aren't allowed to manage. But, like I said, there's a different forum for environmental arguments...however, seems like your mind is made up.

I just wanted to post a cool pic of a burnt up car with a bit of backstory :), and I blame PG&E (as does the US Supreme Court).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts