Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys
Is there supposed to be a rubber dampener between the harmonic balancer and the crank pully?
long story short my motor had a spun #1 conn rod bearing :) :cryin:
rebuild #2 here we go.
thanks as always and hope all are well
Tk

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bearing, TK --- but glad you "caught" it before it took something else with it.

No, no rubber between the balancer and the pulley stack. However there IS a metal plate that goes on the outside - the 4 bolts go though the plate first, then through the pulleys, then into the balancer face. It's important - without it the bolt heads will eventually rip through the pulleys.

Bear

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Bear, er......whats the metal plate called? The machine shop needs it, tho they told me there was a rubber thing there. I need to call them and tell them the aint supposed to be one.
thanks again my brotha!
I kinda did take everything with it :( nothing blew up tho.......hasving the crank redone which I wish I did the 1st time
Tk

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
TK, on your '67, there IS supposed to be a layer of rubber between the outer ring and the inner hub of the balancer. It goes away with age. Knowing what I do now, I would SERIOUSLY recommend buying a new harmonic balancer assembly for your engine. Cheap insurance on avoiding the two piece crank club.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts