Pontiac GTO Forum banner

741 - 760 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I'm in FL, you trade the 330 days/ year of driving weather for complete lack of topography and decent roads... ?
Just depends what area you live in. I think the roads are fantastic around where my parents & brother live - New Port Richey & Zepyrhills. Traffic is heavy depending on time which is true of most places.

Now crappy roads? Got a brother in Rhode Island. I grew up in Connecticut and know RI as well. Pot hole city. I hate the lower speed limits with many 2-lane roads only posted at 35 MPH. Not because you could not go faster, but the pot holes act as speed bumps and has to be why they keep speeds low so the state doesn't have to pay for suspension & tire damages.

In the Charlotte area, like Atlanta, you get up on the interstate and the outside fast lane runs at 80 MPH in the 70 MPH zones - and you still get cars blowing right past you. Very few cops it seems and they too run over 70 MPH. I like taking out my '73 Fury with its 2.73 gearing and just letting it run in that left lane at 80-85 keeping up with traffic.

The biggest problem in my area is that slower vehicles do not have to run in the right lane. So you do get grandma out there in the left lane doing 55MPH and there is nothing you can do about it and traffic can sometimes get very backed up because of it or even dangerous as the impatient cut people off trying to "jack-rabbit" lane changes cutting in and out to get around grandma. Seems about 4 out of 5 days going to work I get stuck in traffic crawl due to some "multi-car pile into each other" type accident. If you leave a car length of space between you and the guy in front, people will simply make a hard lane change into that space OR the SOB behind you cannot stand it and will do everything in his/her power to rip past you just to cut right in front of you and make a statement because you are leaving way too much distance (about 10-12 feet) between you and the guy in front. There is NO such thing as courteous driving during morning and afternoon going to and coming from work. Big 4-wheel drive trucks and SUV's are the meanest bullies on the roads around here. I am usually pretty knotted up and fired up by the time I get to work which is a 1 hour's drive to cover 28 miles which most of that is highway roads.

Can't wait to retire and give the whole world a big middle finger. :yesnod:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
Nicely put...

Just depends what area you live in. I think the roads are fantastic around where my parents & brother live - New Port Richey & Zepyrhills. Traffic is heavy depending on time which is true of most places.

Now crappy roads? Got a brother in Rhode Island. I grew up in Connecticut and know RI as well. Pot hole city. I hate the lower speed limits with many 2-lane roads only posted at 35 MPH. Not because you could not go faster, but the pot holes act as speed bumps and has to be why they keep speeds low so the state doesn't have to pay for suspension & tire damages.

In the Charlotte area, like Atlanta, you get up on the interstate and the outside fast lane runs at 80 MPH in the 70 MPH zones - and you still get cars blowing right past you. Very few cops it seems and they too run over 70 MPH. I like taking out my '73 Fury with its 2.73 gearing and just letting it run in that left lane at 80-85 keeping up with traffic.

The biggest problem in my area is that slower vehicles do not have to run in the right lane. So you do get grandma out there in the left lane doing 55MPH and there is nothing you can do about it and traffic can sometimes get very backed up because of it or even dangerous as the impatient cut people off trying to "jack-rabbit" lane changes cutting in and out to get around grandma. Seems about 4 out of 5 days going to work I get stuck in traffic crawl due to some "multi-car pile into each other" type accident. If you leave a car length of space between you and the guy in front, people will simply make a hard lane change into that space OR the SOB behind you cannot stand it and will do everything in his/her power to rip past you just to cut right in front of you and make a statement because you are leaving way too much distance (about 10-12 feet) between you and the guy in front. There is NO such thing as courteous driving during morning and afternoon going to and coming from work. Big 4-wheel drive trucks and SUV's are the meanest bullies on the roads around here. I am usually pretty knotted up and fired up by the time I get to work which is a 1 hour's drive to cover 28 miles which most of that is highway roads.

01-01-2020 for me!!!!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #743 (Edited)
Started the unveiling process...

Topping off the battery for a day or two... next I'll blow off the crap accumulated on the cover then... change the oil... check tires etc as the un-winterizing continues.

View attachment 118377

View attachment 118379

Debating on adjusting the valves and reinstalling the oil drippers before I fire her up for the first time this year... Never done that before so I'll need to research how.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #744 (Edited)
Holy crap it's been raining for days!!!! I'm putting on the finishing touches just in case we need it... they are calling for rain for the next week!

View attachment 118621

Spoke to the engine builder... he'll adjust the valves for free and he offered me a job (I'm retiring Jan 1). That might be fun, I'll have to look into it more later.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #745 (Edited)
FICKLE B...TCH Mother Nature!!!! Cool and 50 this am.... 82 and sunny early afternoon 60 and raining like a broken water main this afternoon and evening!!!! AMAZING!

I was so tempted to pull the cover and fire her up for her maiden 2019 voyage, NOT!

At least it isn't this... 15 degrees and 10 inches of snow!!

View attachment 118641

Soon my pretty...

View attachment 118645

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #746 (Edited)
View attachment 118713

6 months and and 5 days! That's how long it's been since she was on the road!!! Cocoon removed and Rubber hit the road today... seems like the long winter slumber didn't have long lasting effects. After a short shake down cruise and a quick, operative word, highway run I'll see if things look good underneath later - no obvious drips on the ground over winter.

Man does it seems like for ever! Good to be back on the road!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #749 (Edited)
Fender attachments

Hey all,

Which screws bolts do I use for this? I see the trim is attached with small screws on the outside. I see a pan head screw at one point and a bolt in another... Which do I use on the inner most mounting holes?

Thanks in advance for any help. Dan

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
Your lips to Mother Nature's ears!!!

We got rained out for most of May here in Cali also... but luckily it's over. 80s as far as I can see and I took my 68 to work today!
They are calling for rain every day but two in the next 10... simply amazing.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #753
21.5 inches of rain... finally 3 consecutive days without rain.................... wait for it............................ the other shoe has dropped... my street will be torn up for the next two months starting on the 13th! :surprise: If normal practices hold true for our street as others in our neighborhood I won't be able to get in or out my drive for 3 or 4 weeks at some point :surprise:, we'll have to park on other neighborhood streets - they are doing drainage, curbs and sewers... summer drive time just got cut drastically - bummer.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
List shrinking list is growing again!!!!

1. Vacuum canister loose - turns out it's the canister on the mount not the mount on the fender. Subsequently the mounting bolt holes are nearly stripped (probably happened when body mounts were done)... battery has to be removed first...
2. Mount driver side courtesy light
3. Install seal on A/C vent at heater box - OE was some really sticky stuff I forgot to get - got from a member here.
4. Install OE heater control knobs.
5. Install OE AM/FM radio/new front speaker
6. install OE missing upper Fender bolt
7. Install OE bucket seat nuts/bolts - passenger side - pulling this to reinstall A/C vents etc.
8. Reinstall center console and A/C vents - removed for dash/radio fixes...
9. Driver side fender rattle (damned streets are shaking her apart).
10. Rebuild carb again with better rebuild kit. She bogs down when hot as I hit the throttle - 90 percent sure it's the accelerator pump seal. Need to get info from Bear again.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #755 (Edited)
Sun = Drive time... been sunny so I've been layin rubber all over town. Only issue, cops are EVERYWHERE!! Can't open her up much... must be some kind of crackdown or budget time...

Had an Airborne bombing the other day... Tech Shine (applied wet) wax did great. light spray of water or detailing spray and a light wipe clears it up. That Tech Shine is great stuff.

View attachment 119841

View attachment 119843

Crazy how shinny it is... Didn't realize how until I saw the reflection in the pics.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #756 (Edited)
Ah, love that smell....

View attachment 119933

Got that out of my system...

Started to work on her again.

when the interior was installed they missed a broken rear seat frame on the passenger side... I took her in the other day and they fixed it (welded) and fixed the bent seat frame. There was over 1.5 inches of space between the cushions.

View attachment 119935

Also patched an irritating hole in the exhaust - it was just enough to make a puffing sound. Used a bit of JB Weld, great stuff.

View attachment 119937

Some day I'll be done, I don' really believe that...:laugh2:

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #757 (Edited)
Finally got to work on some things... been driving her every time I get the chance. So far this year has been thunderstorms or sun. It's been crazy, July 5th my neighborhood was under water. Luckily we bought on top of the hill not the bottom. three quarters of the neighborhood was under water including some classic cars. Sad.

Headlights have always worked slowly and the vacuum canister had begun to rattle on the fender so I decided to look into it. I found the canister had come loose from the bracket as it was only "pressed" in by some small metal tabs. I figured the tabs would come lose again at some point and I'm not a fan of doing things over and over so I tacked the bracket on the canister and performed a smoke test. The nipple connection is leaking badly and I have another leak on the seem. I'll have to clean it up, address the leaks then repaint.

View attachment 120225

View attachment 120227

View attachment 120229

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #759
Good goin' Dan. It's a lot of trouble, but the FUN is worth it!
Agreed, now I just need to figure out how to make my car stealthy so I can avoid the plethora of po-po out to get me. ;) It's been pretty hard to open her up so far this season.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #760 (Edited)
5 inches of rain in less than an hour on July 5th as more info is coming in now!!! Half luck half planned we live on the high side of the neighborhood so we only got a gallon or so of water in the basement, friend down the street not so lucky, 6 inches of muck and mud backed up into their basement... some lost cars with water half way up the windows... 24 inch drain pipes were blasting out so much water it eroded the bank on the other side of the drainage ditch. Army corp has to come in to fix it!!

Betty was cool and dry in our garage... why tell you all that... as frustration mounts on the lack of drive time this year... enough news back to the car channel...

Finished the vacuum canister today. Tested with a hand vacuum pump, don't have the smoke tester here, so it's hard to pump that much volume by hand but it holds what I could pump much better now.

Wet and dry pic to show how much difference between the two states. It almost looks blue with the flash... I used Eastwood UnderHood Matte Black... it's very close to OE so it won't stick out being shinny under the fender looking like it was obviously restored.

View attachment 120327

View attachment 120325

I used epoxy to seal the leaks after using a scrubby to clean off the dirt and old paint in those areas.

741 - 760 of 790 Posts