Pontiac GTO Forum banner

761 - 780 of 790 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #761 (Edited)
Reinstalled the vacuum canister... I hammered the mounting holes flat in and effort, hopefully, to make the mounting tighter in the car to eliminate movement/noise. I didn't hammer the mounting tab flat, just the hole that the bolt had "torn" in the tab.

So far so good, it is VERY tight on the fender liner now. The paint job looks nice with it tucked a way in its home.

I spent an hour or so looking for rattles and such. I found the driver side fender bolts on the drivers a-pillar and near the firewall under the hood loose. That stopped an annoying fender rattle on our rough Ohio roads. I also found some smaller bolts and screws loose under the hood. While under there I did some housekeeping - detailing under the hood.

Also found the center caps of my wheels are loosening up again... When I burn off more rubber and need a rebalance I'll rework the center caps.

I tested the brake fluid, it looks pretty good for the amount of use to this point. I'll most likely re-bleed the entire system later this summer.

The search continues for screws/bolts for here... I might quit screwing around with one off fixes and buy a master hardware kit... probably save money in the long run. I have a number of "wrong" hardware bits on my rig.

View attachment 120541

Also found the grommet for the fuel tank vent has fallen apart, inserted a temporary grommet so the tubes don't bang until I get a replacement.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #762 (Edited)
Went to NPD today... ordered 69 GTO with Hideaway headlights body hardware kit... brought me a 68 kit and insisted it was correct because I needed a 68 kit when I clearly saw him right down a 69, which I ordered... then they brought me a 69 w/o hideaway headlights kit, then they brought out the right kit then proceeded to argue about who's fault it was that the boxes were miss-marked and who they were going to blame instead of taking care of the customer who had been quietly waiting for almost 30 minutes for this soap opera to unfold. I left empty handed after I heard them say, "let's just swap stickers".... who knows which kit I would have ended up with, what a joke. I called Ames and had a kit ordered for pick up next weekend at the Pontiac Nationals in less than five minutes!!

Still not missing this... ;)
View attachment 120543

Lookin forward to some racing in a week... I know, wrong manufacturer but you get the idea!
View attachment 120545

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Nats

Hope to meet you face to face this year Dan. I know you have a lot of followers in this forum. Anyone else going to Norwalk?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #764
Been a while... Been workin on the carb and such so here is the link tying it to my thread.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #765
Well...... been a while, again... had some issues along the way... turns out I had a number of issues at one time, each of them masking the others.

First car was running like crap... turned out the ignition module, coil, distributor pickup, vacuum leaks and incorrect parts all went wrong around the same time.

First the wrong parts. The new rocker arm studs installed by the engine builder broke when the valves were being adjusted. Turns out some of the studs were bent so when I removed the crimp nuts they broke off the tips and a few threads.

Ordered new studs from Butler performance, based on their recommendation. After a week of running car began to run very badly... one of those studs broke!!!! Before that car was running "well" but only at higher rpms. Found two plugs not firing "all the time" and one rocker arm assembly rattling around under the driver side valve cover. Found out the studs I was sold were for aluminum heads. Next time I pick the parts... hopefully this never has to be done again.

Decided to test the coil and ignition finding out that the coil was not providing hot enough spark and the ignition module was firing intermittently. Coil was developing a VERY weak spark - light orange instead of bright blue. Since I had to pull the distributor I decided to replace the distributor pickup as well. Turns out it was a good call, the magnet was very weak - would not hold as large of bolt as the new pickup.

So... got everything replaced (coil, ignition module and pickup), wanted to upgrade to 7/16th rocker arm studs (on top) but could not find proper length so I bought long and cut them all to length. Installed all studs and set valves to 1/2 turn... oh, and it was my very first experience removing a bolt broken below the surface!!!! Nerve wracking to say the least.

WOW does she run well now!!! It is not fair to my B.F. Goodrich tires!!! I can burn rubber with no brake stand and go as long as I want (until the automatic trans catches up) !!!!

Now the vacuum issue... I had trouble setting the timing with vacuum because it would float up and down up to 3 or 4 degrees. After some investigation it turns out the headlight vacuum system has a bad leak. Not sure where yet but when I eliminated the headlights from the vacuum "loop" in the car the timing would not move when it was being set.

further testing has determined the leak is in the front end, most likely the lines in the nose or possibly a headlight actuator or two... Since they are 80 bucks a piece I'll start by replacing vacuum hoses and connections first. :)

I noticed some "double plugs" in the lines... anyone know if those are a problem?

Any advice on the headlight system vacuum issues would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

P.S. running issue thread is above in a previous post which includes the carb issues I was having as well!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Good job, Dan!

I don't have hideaways, but "I've heard" that the hot tip is to replace the vacuum system with electrics. I think someone makes a kit?

Bear

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #767
Good job, Dan!

I don't have hideaways, but "I've heard" that the hot tip is to replace the vacuum system with electrics. I think someone makes a kit?

Bear

Thanks Bear... Electric conversion is 1200 bucks!!!! I think I'll wait... ha ha I'm a stock kinda guy any way. ;)

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
Ok I have to ask: are those licks the result of a brake stand? ‘Cause my ‘69 just will not leave anything more than about 25 feet of rubber on a straight to-the-mat launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To answer your question again SoberJoe... after a complete carb rebuild and a valve adjustment I can do a burn out almost as long as I want without a brake stand to get started AND I can do doughnuts as long as I want! The best is going up hill!!!

If I could post a video I would show you. ha ha

This will have to do... Foreground is about a month old and the background is about 10 days old.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #769
Winter hobbies put to rest and back at the car stuff. Hopefully the Pontiac Nationals is on this year... need to smell some burning rubber. :)

Late last year I had some vacuum issues with the headlights and brakes being really hard to press. After fixing the engine and getting it running perfectly I lost some vacuum. Found out the headlight switch was a mess so I fixed that... someone else had been in there and didn’t do me any favors. Also found out the vacuum lines from the switch to the headlight actuators were shot. To access them I removed the valance and front bumper (I needed to adjust the bumper after installing new body mounts) so I figured I would bite the bullet and remove the bumper “While I was at it”.

After I took it off I found out why, in part, the car rattles over bumps. There are several loose bolts and even more missing! Also found the bumper brackets were damaged at some point and some cutting on bracket and bumper mounting points was done to “make it fit”.

In my book the entire front bumper assembly is a mess so it’s getting a refresh. I already purchased parts needed, polished the headlight bezels and chrome (Blue Magic is awesome for bright work cleaning/protection/restoration).

Next I’ll disassemble, clean and paint all the parts... I also need to find a body shop to paint the front bumper, had a winter mishap, which skinned the nose. The “non slip” material used on my ramps gave way and the car slid forward so when the Mrs. opened the door....... ouch. Not a big deal in the end as the whole front bumper was beginning to peel any way. ;)

Will post some pics later... got some cleaning, welding and general maintenance to do on the whole front bumper assembly. MAy 1st is coming fast here in the great Northeast Ohio. :)

More to come...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
20210330_133439.jpg

One grille was partially held in place by duct tape!!

20210323_181122.jpg

This mounting hole was cut to allow enough adjustment... I'll weld this closed to accept the new bumper bracket - the old one is badly damaged and bastardized (holes punched in it and fairly serious bends).

20210331_153037.jpg

Everything removed... lots of broken things (hooks, clips, etc). Replaced the frame to core support seals.

20210330_104955.jpg

Polished the headlight bezels but they looked to good compared to the rest of things so a full restore it is...
20210331_151755.jpg

In case you've never seen behind the "curtain."

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #771
20210308_122033.jpg

Along with all the other issues I found bent and "unattached" mounting issues I'll need to fix.
20210329_123732.jpg

Started disassembly... see the aforementioned "nose bleed."

20210329_123738.jpg

Disassembly is fairly easy... the entire headlight assembly can be removed as one smaller assembly after disconnecting the actuator. Luckily last year I bought a master body bolt, nut and screw, kit so I have 90 percent of the fasteners I need! I suggest taking lots of pics to aide in reassembly.

Use Liquid wrench to ensure no bolts break during disassembly.

20210329_123749.jpg

A pic from the backside...

More to come...

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
nice to "hear" from you again. I hope your retirement is as fun as it looks. I really appreciate the pictures.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
nice to "hear" from you again. I hope your retirement is as fun as it looks. I really appreciate the pictures.
Yep, retirement is awesome!!! Rehabbing a 100 year old house, woodworking, working on cars among many other hobbies, it’s a blast!

Glad you like the pics. Hope others can use um for a guide.

Parts arrived damaged but Ames Performance stepped up and replaced them already. Should be here next week... hopefully that’s all I need. :)

Bought all the restore supplies today... paint, metal prep, etc etc...

More to come...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #774
Supplies...
20210401_143824.jpg

Headlight subassembly... luckily it comes off in this subassembly. quick removal from bumper. Allows working on it on the work bench.

20210331_193034.jpg
20210331_193049.jpg

Before pic...

20210331_194003.jpg
20210331_194008.jpg

This is why Mat first is the day my moth exits the cocoon... 6 inches plus on April 1st!!!

20210401_101910.jpg

This almost all the mounting holes on the grilles and headlight doors are broken.

20210331_200123.jpg
20210331_200106.jpg

Anyone know what this part of the Master Body kit is for? These screws match the ones for mounting the headlight door covers to the headlight door. The small metal parts with the holes are especially confusing. ;)

I do not understand where these fasteners are used and have not found anything like it on the car, which is no surprise.

Thanks in advance, Dan

20210401_155255.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
20210401_160114.jpg

New grille and headlight door cover looks pretty good... not a fan of the mold flashing in the middle of the door cover center rib but better than what I "had". Reused the old Chrome molding, it cleaned up pretty good with Blue Magic.

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Anyone know what this part of the Master Body kit is for? These screws match the ones for mounting the headlight door covers to the headlight door. The small metal parts with the holes are especially confusing.

Lower valance panel molding and grills. Pg 14-19 in the 69 Service Manual. I think the lower grills were with the hidden headlight option only but don't quote me on that

F3780EED-9331-41E1-B709-F515BA2EB50E_1_201_a.jpeg

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
Anyone know what this part of the Master Body kit is for? These screws match the ones for mounting the headlight door covers to the headlight door. The small metal parts with the holes are especially confusing.

Lower valance panel molding and grills. Pg 14-19 in the 69 Service Manual. I think the lower grills were with the hidden headlight option only but don't quote me on that

View attachment 141651
Oh, those grilles!!! Perfect, thanks a ton O52!! Much appreciated! After the front bumper restore the valance is next!

"Always something with these cars". Ha Ha

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
254 Posts
HA Yea, I'm lookin to get it done much sooner than that. Thanks for the link. That is very cool. I'll add that to my retired project list. :)
My lack of retirement is the cause for the project creep not to mention the kids. I am doing it YoYo style tear it appart in the fall get it running every year for summer.

761 - 780 of 790 Posts